Which route - Shroppie or T&M? advice welcome

Québec

Featured Posts

We're planning a short, week-long, there-and-back trip in October from Swanley at the eastern end of the Llangollen. We've done the Llangollen, and the River Weaver via Middlewich and the T&M to Northwich, and though happy to do either of those again in the future the choices this time are a) north on the Shroppie towards Chester and Ellesmere Port and the Boat Museum, b.) south on the Shroppie towards Norbury Junction, c) turn south on the T&M at Middlewich heading towards Kidsgrove.

This is a break for us, so plan to take it fairly easy e.g. three days out, one day rest, three days back, not more than 6 hours a day travelling. Recommendations on the basis of scenic interest and/or places of interest to stop/moor up...and, of course, number of locks (though I can work those out once I know where we're going.)

Thanks in advance.

Paul (Québec)

The boat museum is surprisingly good, in fact one of the best museums I have visited.

The Canal from Chester to the museum is not the most exciting and the staircase locks in Chester are a bit intimidating.

Aside from the museum Ellesmere Port is not the best place and the only pub in the area is the roughest (and also friendliest) boozer I have been in for a long long time, though if your not faint hearted I would recommend a visit, they don't make them like that anymore!

Nice moorings in the museum.

................Dave

We're planning a short, week-long, there-and-back trip in October from Swanley at the eastern end of the Llangollen. We've done the Llangollen, and the River Weaver via Middlewich and the T&M to Northwich, and though happy to do either of those again in the future the choices this time are a) north on the Shroppie towards Chester and Ellesmere Port and the Boat Museum, b.) south on the Shroppie towards Norbury Junction, c) turn south on the T&M at Middlewich heading towards Kidsgrove.

This is a break for us, so plan to take it fairly easy e.g. three days out, one day rest, three days back, not more than 6 hours a day travelling. Recommendations on the basis of scenic interest and/or places of interest to stop/moor up...and, of course, number of locks (though I can work those out once I know where we're going.)

Thanks in advance.

Paul (Québec)

I may be biased, having moored for over 10 years on the Shropshire Union, but I would go for the Norbury option, possibly going as far as Wheaton Aston with no more locks to negotiate. We just shifted our mooring from High Onn to Goldstone Wharf - the owners of the pub there are so nice! Edited by homer2911

Chester & Ellesmere Port definitely from those choices.

Hurleston to Norbury is quite boring and a week after you get back you will have forgotten where you went.

If you go North on the Shroppie you have some stunning scenery around Beeston & Bunbury. The locks are all nicely spaced and in clusters, so just when you've had enough they end and you get a few hours cruising until the next ones.

Places to visit:

Beeston Castle

Chester Zoo

Chester City Centre

Ellesmere Port Boat Museum

Cheshire Oaks (just for girls)

Hurleston to Norbury is quite boring and a week after you get back you will have forgotten where you went.

If you go North on the Shroppie you have some stunning scenery around Beeston & Bunbury. The locks are all nicely spaced and in clusters, so just when you've had enough they end and you get a few hours cruising until the next ones.

Places to visit:

Beeston Castle

Chester Zoo

Chester City Centre

For boys near Cheshire Oaks the Blue Planet Aquarium.

My view is the locks north to Chester and beyond are wide locks with the idiot reduction gears on the paddles plus, I think in some cases, anti-vandal locks so I would not go that way again unless travelling to a boat meet although Chester is nice.

I find the T&M south of Middlewich rather hard work and some is fairly nondescript. My choice would be south towards Norbury for an leisurely break.

Places to visit:

Beeston Castle

Chester Zoo

Chester City Centre

Having just done the route up to Chester and Ellesmere Port with two young granddaughters, I can higly recommend ity for that sort of break. Also, Chester Zoo is excellent (albeit pricey!) In Chester both the Walls and the Cathedral are free to visit and worth doing.

The museum is also good. They include a night's mooring in the entrance fee - at least so they said, but we only moored up for the visit and left before nightfall. You can go inside an original cabin - good to get a real feel for what life was like for working boat people, not the sanitised version so often portrayed

Thanks in advance.

Paul (Québec)

I know it exceeds your 6x 6 hours but have you considered the 4 counties ring?

Thanks in advance.

Paul (Québec)

We went up the Shroppie to Ellesmere port a while back and had a very enjoyable trip from Swanley. Going through Chester was good and stopping at the boat museum and going round was excellent. So, out of your choices that gets my vote.

Next week we are off to Anderton and down onto the Weaver.

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to do.

We are currently planning to do the Ellesmere Port option with our grandchildren. I think it's a great route with Chester, Chester zoo and ellesmere port being highlights. I also love the canal north of the junction that takes you off the four counties. They are just adding new far east areas to Chester zoo which you go through on boats. It is really expensive and maybe not the thing to spend time on when you are hiring. The boat museum is amazing, love being able to moor in it. However the rest of ellesmere port is, what can I say? A challenge maybe?

The last couple of miles before the museum is a huge chemical works with no charm - but canals were built to transport goods not for attractive scenery.

We have done the run a couple of times down to Ellesmere Port. The last time just over a year ago with our nine and seven year old children. They really enjoyed it. The zoo is fantastic and only a short walk from the canal.

Chester is stunning, and well worth a day.

We also walked up to Beeston Castle, there is a signed footpath, part of the Gritstone trail I think from the lock south of the Shady Oak.

We only stopped during the day any the museum, preferring to go back out to the Bunbury Arms at Stoak for the evening.

We are currently planning to do the Ellesmere Port option with our grandchildren. I think it's a great route with Chester, Chester zoo and ellesmere port being highlights. I also love the canal north of the junction that takes you off the four counties. They are just adding new far east areas to Chester zoo which you go through on boats. It is really expensive and maybe not the thing to spend time on when you are hiring. The boat museum is amazing, love being able to moor in it. However the rest of ellesmere port is, what can I say? A challenge maybe?

The last couple of miles before the museum is a huge chemical works with no charm - but canals were built to transport goods not for attractive scenery.

Allow at least a full day to do the zoo! The 'boats' are more interesting to watch.

Not sure I recognise your bit about the 'last couple of miles' being a huge chemical works. Not close to canal. Even the motorway is less oppressive now that the vegetation has matured.

Allow at least a full day to do the zoo! The 'boats' are more interesting to watch.

Not sure I recognise your bit about the 'last couple of miles' being a huge chemical works. Not close to canal. Even the motorway is less oppressive now

that the vegetation has matured.

Interesting. Has the chemical works gone or do you mean the vegetation hides it? Or have I totally miss remembrred- it's a few years since we were there. Maybe six years.