Buckby Flight Closure

Leo No2

Featured Posts

I think this is the lock that had the failed balance beam recently.

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Lock 7, Top Lock
Ends At: Lock 13
Up Stream Winding Hole: Norton Junction
Down Stream Winding Hole: Wilton Marina

Wednesday 26 August 2015 14:15 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Structure failure

Original message:

Please be aware that the navigation is currently closed between Lock 7 to Lock 13, Buckby due to a lock gate failure at Lock 12.

We will update this notice once we have further information

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/4469/lock-7-to-lock-13-buckby-grand-union-canal

Have arrived at the top and talked to the CRT bods. The problem is the same lock as before, but top gate not bottom. The heel-post has broken just below the collar. There's a plan to splint it with a steel fitting, but we're looking at a couple of days, so we may be going to IWA Northampton by train.......

MP.

When we were in the area, I looked at trains as one of my sons may. Have been coming to see us. I didn't realise that Long Buckby has a rail station. But it has.

Martyn

Don't ever make the mistake i once did walk there from Braunston. Like you i thought "oh great, Buckby has a train station. I'll just walk over the tunnel and down the towpath to Norton Junction and hop on a train at Buckby". NEVER AGAIN.

Don't ever make the mistake i once did walk there from Braunston. Like you i thought "oh great, Buckby has a train station. I'll just walk over the tunnel and down the towpath to Norton Junction and hop on a train at Buckby". NEVER AGAIN.

Why? Molly dog and I had a lovely saunter up and over from Norton to Braunston and back....was it the bit from Norton to Buckby?.....did'nt do that. Took us.....a while as she's 13 and I day dream.

According to THE map, it's quite a trek from Norton Junction. Perhaps this bit of the journey Junior is referring to.

Its a fair walk along the road from abridge part way down the flight to the station. And further if you are walking from Buckby Top/Norton Junction. I have done it a couple of times.

Just as an aside conversation whilst CRT get this fixed.

When we were there, someone had sprayed all the little mounds of dog dirt with an orangey fluorescent spray. This was all the way from up the Leicester line to well below Buckby Bottom Lock and beyond. Is this to make a point, or is a substance that excellerates the rotting process? Perhaps it was the over enthusiastic boat checker who we met a couple of times.

There was a lot of it. Quite a number of local residents walk and exercise their dogs along that stretch.

Martyn

Just as an aside conversation whilst CRT get this fixed.

When we were there, someone had sprayed all the little mounds of dog dirt with an orangey fluorescent spray. This was all the way from up the Leicester line to well below Buckby Bottom Lock and beyond. Is this to make a point, or is a substance that excellerates the rotting process? Perhaps it was the over enthusiastic boat checker who we met a couple of times.

There was a lot of it. Quite a number of local residents walk and exercise their dogs along that stretch.

Martyn

I've noticed that being done in quite a few places around the system. Audlem also has a keen s**t sprayer.

I think the idea of s*** spraying is to make it obvious and hopefully shame those who don't pick up after their dogs. I notice that you seem to get more dog mess near inhabited areas and I am fairly sure it is local residents and they think that boaters will get the blame. Braunston, Audlem and Polesworth all spring to mind as being really bad. Mind you, boaters are not blameless as I have often seen a boater let his dog off at a bridge and pick it up at the next one after it has crapped on the towpath while he boated along side.

haggis

20150827_085247_zpsz1nmdgv0.jpg

Norton Junction as busy as I have seen it and boats moored in every pound. Lots waiting to come up too.

Damage looks like a temporary fix may get things moving. No- one here at 8.50 am though.

What exactly has bust on those gates that makes the lock unuseable ? It's not very obvious from that photo.

Edited by Tony Dunkley