Buckby Flight Closure

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Dunno about longevity, but I did notice that the busted gate had a 1998 plate on it, so it's no spring chicken.

MP.

17 years doesn't sound that long a life to me. When I started BCN boating in about 1974 there were gates with dates carved into them going back to 1911 and 1913, so these were some 60 years old at the time. But maybe the pollutants in the water acted as a preservative.

Rot in wood can very often happen from the inside and not be externally visible. I have no knowledge of CRT in this area but BT has many many wooden poles, as do the Electricity companies.

I can only speak from my time at BT. BT has a regular cycle of pole testing looking for decay. Often this starts internally as the "ruping" process doesn't always reach the core of the poles.

Ruping is where the cut wood for the poles is put in a big vat, the vat is then evacuated of all air, hopefully pulling out all moisture, sap etc. Wood preservative is then injected at high pressure, the intention being to saturate the poles. They are no longer left to season first as time is money. BT poles have a nominal life of 25 years.

I would be interested to learn how CRT treat their wooden lock gates.

Edited by Ray T

Getting back to the effects of this stoppage, I too would appreciate an answer to Morpheus's request:

"Any update on queuing times later this (Saturday) afternoon would be appreciated."

I am planning to leave Bugbrooke at around 13.00, is there any chance of getting through Buckby today?

Cheers.

Me too, they've had enough time to arrange for someone on the ground with a mobile to provide updates.

ETA - Or to update their website on an hourly basis.

Edited by Willber G

I'm not sure that it would be any use.

How are they supposed to know how many boats are out on a bank holiday, or which way they choose to go.

They are doing their best to keep the flight operational, I hardly think

" Queueing time is currently 5 hours and 35 minutes" is possible to monitor or update

I have just had a call from a CRT employee on-site. The delays sailing north are in the region of 3 hours at the moment, but significantly longer travelling south due to the Northampton festival traffic. The temporary fix will not be completed before Tuesday. They said they will try to provide more frequent updates to their site in the meantime.

Not surprised came up on day of breakage. 3 pairs of boats going down, little ( Us) going up. They were racing around. Getting agitated because locks hard against them, 2 sets boats in one pound, and so much back flush caused by double paddle pulling that we stopped completely in one bridge hole against the flows

Glad we got through as we have to put the boat to bed to go home for 8 months.

Well met to boats today both of whom took 20 hours plus..or so they said..to get through..me I avoided them.

Canals round here very busy and loads boats going that way. I had interesting Braunston tunnel transit..actually it was pretty awful and returning through tomorrow.

For those able to see it, this Facebook Album shows current state of play at Buckby, where navigation is currently closed, and we are in a long queue awaiting passage.

My connection too slow to reload pictures here, but basically a steel structure is replacing the failed collar post, and when I was there the balance beam was just being refitted.

They say they hope to get us through today.

For those able to see it, this Facebook Album shows current state of play at Buckby, where navigation is currently closed, and we are in a long queue awaiting passage.

My connection too slow to reload pictures here, but basically a steel structure is replacing the failed collar post, and when I was there the balance beam was just being refitted.

They say they hope to get us through today.

keep us posted please Alan, was hoping to finally make a move in the morning.

Notice Update: 4th September 15 Navigation: Open, Towpath: Open

Grand Union Canal

Starts At: Lock 7, Top Lock

Ends At: Lock 13

Up Stream Winding Hole: Norton Junction

Down Stream Winding Hole: Wilton Marina

Update on 04/09/2015:

Update The works have been completed to repair the gate at Lock 12 and the canal is now open to navigation for all craft.