Sheepwash Channel, Oxford: Railway Swingbridge

Theo

Featured Posts

As I was walking to the railway station I had my first view of the swingbridge from above. It's a sorry sight. I think that a preservation stitch in time would have been a good thing.

DSC03138_zpsr4jusljv.jpg

DSC03136_zpsxcn4watu.jpg

DSC03137_zpsn3lhrsnr.jpg

Well it looks as if preservation plans are in hand. I wonder why they are bothering - apparently the track on each side of it has been lifted, so it doesn't do anything and doesn't go anywhere. I am, lest you doubt it, a great enthusiast for old railways, but I can't see any point in restoring this white elephant.

It is rather sad - here is some more info from the OPT. It implies that one option is (like the station in Rewley Road) to move it, to somewhere where it could be used. You are right there is now housing on the lines on either side.

I remember going through the bridge on Boxing Day in the early 1980s. We just wandered up onto the tracks until we found a railwayman, and five minutes later two of them arrived to wind the bridge open.

Her's another rickety rail swing bridge - I was amazed to find that it still moves. (Boston)

dscf6140.jpg

Well it looks as if preservation plans are in hand. I wonder why they are bothering - apparently the track on each side of it has been lifted, so it doesn't do anything and doesn't go anywhere. I am, lest you doubt it, a great enthusiast for old railways, but I can't see any point in restoring this white elephant.

The station still exists:

mini-P1010517.JPG

Not quite as close to the bridge as it used to be

http://www.onlineweb.com/rail/photos/bucks_rly_centre_2010/bucks_rly_centre_2010.htm

Richard

From the heritage perspective it is locally significant for both the canal and the railway, plenty of 1960's cruising guides advise going through Duke's Cut to avoid it. I'd have to agree it is probably only of local significance, but then so are a lot of preserved bits and pieces.

One observation I would make in interpreting the past is that the leap of imagination can be too big sometimes. It will be much easier to visualise what this area was once like with the bridge still there.

I assume they plan to preserve it in situ and fixed open to navigation.

Edited to add - it looks like they may move it, which seems (to me, and only my opinion) a bit pointless.

The station still exists:

mini-P1010517.JPG

Not quite as close to the bridge as it used to be

http://www.onlineweb.com/rail/photos/bucks_rly_centre_2010/bucks_rly_centre_2010.htm

Richard

That visualisation looks more like Skaledale!

Edited by magpie patrick

The various articles are getting me confused. The bridge eventually belonged the the L&NWR, then the LMS and finally BR. One article says it was part of the London & Birmingham, and another the Buckinghamshire railway

What is the early history of the bridge?

Richard

I rather like the vehicle here, that used this bridge http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/port_meadow_halt/index.shtml

This site also explains more of the history of this line. It is being given a new lease of life at the moment, as part of the new route from Oxford via BBicester to Marylebone http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/oxford-london

I rather like the vehicle here, that used this bridge http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/port_meadow_halt/index.shtml

This site also explains more of the history of this line. It is being given a new lease of life at the moment, as part of the new route from Oxford via BBicester to Marylebone http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/oxford-london

That first site answers my question. Thank you

Richard

And here is a video of the bridge in operation, 1970s I think.

Anyone recognize the cruiser? I can't quite read the name. Note the skipper also ties up using a centre line only...

Suggestions please for the dialogue between him and the chap with a beard.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

The railway company who was responsible for the construction was the Buckinghamshire Railway, opening to Oxford in 1851. This route was worked by the London & North Western Railway and eventually acquired the line through the vesting process.

When this railway opened, other railways were also under construction on a parallel course. The Oxford & Rugby Railway was only to be completed as far as Fenny Compton. Diverging from the O & R was the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton. Whilst the O & R was quickly absorbed into the GWR and Mr Brunel's sphere of influence. The OWWR retained a separate identity until merging with the GWR in 1863.

The O & R line also crossed the Sheepwash Channel, but seemingly by a conventional bridge.

Many thanks to all you all (anoraky types) - thank heavens there are still folks prepared to research and present details of times past.

Fascinating.

For me the blurry bridge is a major hazard to navigation. Approaching it from the Thames through a dark tunnel - despite the yellow warning marker, there's a further sticky-out-bit on that side which many boats hit.

A most unpleasant introduction to the canal system - in contrast to the end of the Oxford which is now quite pleasant to cruise..

(OK I mostly go through Duke's - but it's nice to vary the route occasionally).

And here is a video of the bridge in operation, 1970s I think.

Anyone recognize the cruiser? I can't quite read the name. Note the skipper also ties up using a centre line only...

Suggestions please for the dialogue between him and the chap with a beard.

Don't know about the dialogue but the number of the diesel shunting loco gives a broad clue to the date of the film. The loco had originally been numbered D4178 when built by BR at Darlington in 1962 but the prefix 'D' was dropped after the end of BR steam in August 1968. In 1970 BR adopted the TOPS numbering scheme and 4178 was renumbered 08948 in March 1974. So the film was shot at sometime between August 1968 and March 1974. I don't know if the loco is still operating today but it was certainly still alive in 2007 when it was transferred to Eurostar UK as depot pilot at the then new Temple Mills depot in Stratford, East London.

We call that kind of visualisation a Pho-to-graph

Richard

tongue.png

It doesn't look quite right for a photograph (unless it's a photo of a model) - there is a look of CGI about it.

Back on the main subject, I assume that it was easier for the railway company that first proposed this thing to get parliamentary powers over the Sheepwash channel than it might have been had this been the Oxford Canal, how much traffic actually went between the canal and the river? Often trade across junctions was inhibited because there would be a toll disincentive to joining a new waterway close to the end of a traffic.

Well! That makes me really pleased that I took the photos and posted them. Thanks all for the contributions. I found the water mark on the archive film rather distracting but it was really interesting to see all the leavers for the bolts.

N

Hi,

Good film.

The cruiser is a Dolphin, plywood construction built in Northampton. My mate ran a Dolphin 16.

Rewley road station is rebuilt at Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, Quainton, really good displays and open days.

The Station (and Centre) is outstanding and well used with some excellent exhibitions - well worth a visit.

At present the line extends from Aylesbury and connects with Calvert tip, there are confirmed proposals to re-open the track connecting with the planned (re-opened) Oxford /Cambridge line in the not too distant future.

I visit on odd days to watch the daily run of the 'Rubbish' train pulling loads of full trucks from Bristol to Calvert ( a huge new incinerator is being built (open in 2016) to overcome landfill problems.

L

Quainton is good. Maybe a pity the line they can use is not a bit longer, but the station buildings and displays are top notch - especially the coaches set out with Churchills parafinalia, and the kitchen/dining car. So too is the little separate book shop wherein I found a long lost (through damp damage) copy of 'The Manchester Tram', but that's another story.