CaRT doesn't respect boaters

Allan(nb Albert)

Featured Posts

Having read thread first didn't click now won't.

My dealings with CaRT are minimal ..liicense which lady on phone most helpful and then they spot checked me for copy insurance..again very helpful and patience as I struggled to work out how to copy and paste email confirmation to them..took me 2 weeks and the guys on the waterways I've seen and talked to..no issues there. I don't know who agrees to do these surveys cos if people ask me randomly to take part in survey for anything I generally refuse.

A year ago a survey found that 76% of boaters thought that CaRT did not respect them -

CaRT doesn't respect boaters

... does any evidence exist that this situation has improved?

I don't know why you and your colleagues at NBW devote your time to criticising CRT, but it's not going to stop me and many others enjoying boating and the canals.

As I see it, NBW is the dog turd we stand in when mooring the boat for the evening.

I must say I am always quite surprised at the reaction on here to Narrowboatworld. Ok I do understand that some might not like some of the content but I am of the opinion that to get a full picture on any subject it is best to read as much as possible, for that same reason I am a regular visitor to CRT Website and am able to see some of the good things they do, I don't expect them to publish to much that does not show them in a good light. I am pleased that someone at least holds CRT to account.

The survey that Allan has linked was carried out by BDRC Continental on behalf of CRT, meaning as licence payers we have paid towards this I would imagine quite expensive survey. Now it has found that only 64% of boaters surveyed were satisfied with CRT but more worrying IMO that is down 7% on the previous year. CRT have a target of 75% boaters satisfaction well I find it amazing that an organisation sets itself such a low target of customer satisfaction, in other words it seems they are happy if 25% of customers are not satisfied.

Now I do realise it is difficult to please everyone all the time but the fact that only 24% of boaters felt CRT respected them is very worrying and I guess what happened to Dean is only one example of why boaters feel this way. .

• Greenie 1

I agree with CWM above. I previously worked for a large U.S. International organisation who carried out an independant survey amongst their employees and they took it very seriously when satisfaction levels dropped amongst a specific group of workers. I instigated a similar survey amongst our prime users amongst our UK customers you might not agree with what your told but we took action to improve we could.

As the recently appointed senior managers all come from a customer services background they would be familiar with how to use ( and if needed interpret/manipulate the results) so i would be surprised if they need to hide them.

• Greenie 1

Yes, the figures come from the August 2014 BOAT survey. However, despite saying that that the 'full results' of that survey would be published it seems that CaRT have decided that against it.

No, as far as I know it's from this :~

Boater attitude tracker launched

This month we're starting a new survey of boaters, the Boat Owner Attitude Tracker (BOAT), to keep up-to-date with boaters’ thoughts and feelings between unscheduled stoppages.

568.jpg

Stoke Bruerne, Grand Union Canal

Ignoring and failing to respond to boater's needs is at the heart of our new strategy and the survey will track the ‘word on the cut’.

Starting in June, there will be three waves of research every year. The views of around 1,000 carefully selected boaters will be gathered each time, with invitations sent out by independent research agency BDRC Continental, who are conducting the survey for us at enormous expense.

The survey will be sent to different boaters each time and, over the next two years, it is expected that all boaters who have registered their email address with the boat licensing office will have been invited to take part.

Dick Perry, the Can't Really be Trusted chief executive, said: “Hearing what boaters are saying is not really important to us and our main priority is to ensure that the waterways in our care revert to their post WW2 state of neglect and dereliction as quickly as possible. This new regular survey will help us tap into how boaters feel about the Trust, and their experience of using our canals and rivers. We’ll be able to use this information to help us make the necessary cuts to our works programme, and to address any areas where we may be falling short, such as lengths of canal with adequate depth and locks that don't leak sufficiently. If you receive an invitation to take part in the survey please do take part – sharing your feedback will make a difference.”

A short report on key attitudes will be concocted and falsified as required after each round in the BOAT Inn, which is just out of sight beyond the lock in the background in the photograph.

Edited by Tony Dunkley
  • Greenie 1

I don't know why you and your colleagues at NBW devote your time to criticising CRT, but it's not going to stop me and many others enjoying boating and the canals.

As I see it, NBW is the dog turd we stand in when mooring the boat for the evening.

Amazing -so it's OK to be CaRT bashing on here (and there's lots of that) but if NBW does it they are dog turds?

I agree with CWM above. I previously worked for a large U.S. International organisation who carried out an independant survey amongst their employees and they took it very seriously when satisfaction levels dropped amongst a specific group of workers. I instigated a similar survey amongst our prime users amongst our UK customers you might not agree with what your told but we took action to improve we could.

As the recently appointed senior managers all come from a customer services background they would be familiar with how to use ( and if needed interpret/manipulate the results) so i would be surprised if they need to hide them.

I have asked CaRT to honour its commitment to publish. I have also asked what actions they have taken as a result of that report.

I must say I am always quite surprised at the reaction on here to Narrowboatworld. Ok I do understand that some might not like some of the content but I am of the opinion that to get a full picture on any subject it is best to read as much as possible, for that same reason I am a regular visitor to CRT Website and am able to see some of the good things they do, I don't expect them to publish to much that does not show them in a good light. I am pleased that someone at least holds CRT to account.

The survey that Allan has linked was carried out by BDRC Continental on behalf of CRT, meaning as licence payers we have paid towards this I would imagine quite expensive survey. Now it has found that only 64% of boaters surveyed were satisfied with CRT but more worrying IMO that is down 7% on the previous year. CRT have a target of 75% boaters satisfaction well I find it amazing that an organisation sets itself such a low target of customer satisfaction, in other words it seems they are happy if 25% of customers are not satisfied.

Now I do realise it is difficult to please everyone all the time but the fact that only 24% of boaters felt CRT respected them is very worrying and I guess what happened to Dean is only one example of why boaters feel this way. .

Well well, one has found his forte.

That was much more informative, and a lot easier on the eye than the tosh from the reporter in nbw.

The manner in which it's written on nbw takes away the importance of the subject.

Edited by jenlyn

The manner in which it's written on nbw takes away the importance of the subject.

Indeed.

Whilst there is much to criticise about CRT dedicating a whole blog, with several contributors, to incessant CRT bashing just becomes too tedious to read.

Respect for customers by large organisations always seem to thin out as you get higher up the hierarchical ladder (though you also get a few jobsworths at the bottom keen to assert more authority than they actually possess).

CRT suffers from this but also has a lot of employees who have the utmost respect for the waterways, the boats and their users.

If NBW recognised this fact they may become a more effective campaigning medium but I suspect the odds of that happening are zero.

One thing about NBW I find interesting is their overnight shift, some years ago, from them celebrating every time BW craned out and broke up a boat owned by (in their words) the scum of the waterways to defending the rights of those whose homes were destroyed regardless of the rights or wrongs of each individual case.

Edited by carlt

Indeed.

Whilst there is much to criticise about CRT dedicating a whole blog, with several contributors, to incessant CRT bashing just becomes too tedious to read.

Respect for customers by large organisations always seem to thin out as you get higher up the hierarchical ladder (though you also get a few jobsworths at the bottom keen to assert more authority than they actually possess).

CRT suffers from this but also has a lot of employees who have the utmost respect for the waterways, the boats and their users.

If NBW recognised this fact they may become a more effective campaigning medium but I suspect the odds of that happening are zero.

One thing about NBW I find interesting is their overnight shift, some years ago, from them celebrating every time BW craned out and broke up a boat owned by (in their words) the scum of the waterways to defending the rights those whose homes were destroyed regardless of the rights or wrongs of each individual case.

I agree. I have met several at CRT who are genuinely protective of the waterways, and it's heritage.

One person I have a lot of respect for is Vince moran. He is blunt, (though some see this as rude) and sometimes stubborn, but he has a drive for the waterways which suggests to me, he should be a trustee when he retires.

There are others, but no nonsense Vince stands out.

A pity there are not more like him.

I am never surprised by the attitude expressed towards narrowboatworld by some on here.

However, I posted the link for those that may be interested enough to actually want to discuss the issues raised ...

Not sure if John is referring to this forum's Dean or Dean Davis who was mentioned in the article.

I am never surprised by the attitude expressed towards narrowboatworld by some on here.

Can I suggest it's mainly due to not reporting the truth?...for instance the article on the breach on the Rufford arm suggested the link is shut and all boats are now stuck on the Lancaster for the winter.....well I was one of those boats and guess what?....the link is operating as normal...I'm now moored in St Mary's waiting for the breach to be fixed!...I may well be stuck here for the winter but that's very different to the headline which was attention seeking for the sake of it....I find the site is just like a scummy tabloid...anything for a headline except the truth.....it's a shame as it could be a useful resource.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

Amazing -so it's OK to be CaRT bashing on here (and there's lots of that) but if NBW does it they are dog turds?

The difference is that here one can be a habitual CRT basher, a habitual CRT praiser, or one can even see them as the proverbial curate's egg.

Thus this site consists of a lively debate fueled by many divergent views.

NBW has a corporate view that CRT is bad and every story is used to try to paint them ever blacker.