Marinas are the real slums

kris88

Featured Posts

She sounds more like a Brummie to me, but I suppose to the outsider they sound the same wink.png

As a Brummie, she definitely sounds Black Country. As the accents change every other street there, I couldn't tell you if she is Derby End ot Gornal Wood

I have a great weakness for that soft, Black Country accent read by young women

Richard

Have to agree with this. The amount of people on here who lecture others or come across as grammar nazis is a joke. Given that it's a canal forum I have never come across these people in real life on the canal.

Cut some slack. Old people need something to while away their twilight hours.

It's role, as in role in a play not roll as in roll in the hay or roll, as in a cheese filled roll wink.png

Or roll as in Troll :)

Branston pickle?

Richard

It's Braunston, not Branston.

Deffo a Roll here in Northants, not seen a sign in sandwich shops for freshly filled bread cakes smile.png

In Mr Pearson's Canal Guides he sez you can get Pork Stuffing Batches in Nuneaton. I thought we could try one each of this local speshiality, not a whole crate of 'em. But then we were told 'batch' means 'roll'.

After eating them and finding them to be good, we then discovered we had ended up somewhere else - as otherwise we'd still be in 'None Eaten', heh heh, geddit?

As a Brummie, she definitely sounds Black Country. As the accents change every other street there, I couldn't tell you if she is Derby End ot Gornal Wood

Richard

Sue Lawley is from the Black Country (Gornal) but I don't recall her reading the news in the accent!

Tim

Richard

Richard I've taken the liberty to adjust your post to, what you really mean.

Rob....

Cut some slack. Old people need something to while away their twilight hours.

Or roll as in Troll :)

It's Braunston, not Branston.

I've never tried a Troll Roll, are they any good? Bet they need a bit of pickle in em :)

Sue Lawley is from the Black Country (Gornal) but I don't recall her reading the news in the accent!

Tim

Mrs T writes:

Simple explanation if you ever research her background. From Wiki but can be confirmed by many sources:

Born in Sedgley, Staffordshire, England, and brought up in the Black Country, she was educated at Dudley Girls High School and graduated in modern languages from the University of Bristol where, due to peer pressure, she changed her Dudley Accent to one closer to received pronunciation. She started her career at the BBC in Plymouth.

The peer pressure was from a so called friend who said she would have to drop Sue as a friend if she said once more "buzz" for bus.

Yours, Black Country born (Lower Gornal) and proud of it, even though I have lost the accent and the vocabulary.....

Mrs T

The Queen sent her first ever tweet this week however it was not long before the first lot of trolls arrived.
"Welcome to Twitter! Abdicate" wrote one.
"Pi55 off Charles", came the reply.

I've just read in the news that the Conservatives are planning on quadrupling the length of sentences for internet trolls.
Oh great, even more spelling mistakes.

Trolls really get my goat.

and you referred to shops owning something, which was unintelligible.

APOSTROPHE!!! judge.gif

I counter it was intelligible just a lack of punctuation if its ok to use totaly incorrect words im going to give up on punctuation marks all together

Have you read Eats shoots & leaves by Lynne Truss its very good :)

"due to peer pressure, she changed her Dudley Accent to one closer to received pronunciation. She started her career at the BBC in Plymouth." - where she picked up a Devon accent and became known as 'Captain BirdsEye'

You have a goat??!!

Sadly eaten by trolls.

Ah yes, Sir Richard Branston, the famous pickle magnet. Not many people know it was his pickle mines that funded Virgin Records in the beginning...

smile.png

"Pickle Mines", thanks Mike, spat coffee all over my keyboard.......

Always thought it was Marmite that was drilled out of the grounds.....

I counter it was intelligible just a lack of punctuation if its ok to use totaly incorrect words im going to give up on punctuation marks all together

Have you read Eats shoots & leaves by Lynne Truss its very good smile.png

but you did set yourself up as a stickler for proper use of English in #202 and #209.

yuss cheers.gif

Edited by Murflynn

And don't forget the jam butty mines courtesy of Ken Dodd

it seems like snack food mines used to be common in the UK, can we blame Maggie for thsee closures as well?

Oh no you must be mistaking it with that vile Aussie copy that tastes like burnt rubber.

Oh no you must be mistaking it with that vile Aussie copy that tastes like burnt rubber.

This is correct. There are certinly Vegemite mines in the more secret parts of Australia, but Marmite is actually made in Heaven.

(Not a lot of people know that.)

but you did set yourself up as a stickler for proper use of English in #202 and #209.

yuss cheers.gif

Well, yes and no, English is a dynamic language that should not be restricted and hemmed in, but equally it shouldn't be bastardised beyond all recognition because someone has decided its their self proclaimed roll [sic] to do so.

I use a crappy smartphone for 95% of my forum input, I don't proof read at all and rely far too much on predictive text, that and you've got to have the odd banana skin just to keep the pedants happy :)

I'm not the saviour of the Queen's English, there are plenty far more qualified than me to assume that mantle :)

This is correct. There are certinly Vegemite mines in the more secret parts of Australia, but Marmite is actually made in Heaven.

(Not a lot of people know that.)

Blurgh! Marmite belongs in Room 101

I used to have the pleasure of the Marmite tank at Carlsberg, vile, evil thing :(

Well, yes and no, English is a dynamic language that should not be restricted and hemmed in, but equally it shouldn't be bastardised beyond all recognition because someone has decided its their self proclaimed roll [sic] to do so.

Bill Shakespeare invented hundreds of new words for the English language which we use daily. What a cad!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treacle_mining

(they haven't yet mined any in Nuneaton - which is why it's called Nuneaton).

Bill Shakespeare invented hundreds of new words for the English language which we use daily. What a cad!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treacle_mining

(they haven't yet mined any in Nuneaton - which is why it's called Nuneaton).

I'm willing to bet kriss88 linguistic legacy will be of slightly less value to society than good old Bill Shakespeare's :)