Marinas are the real slums

kris88

Featured Posts

Curtain twitchers do seem to be inevitable in the modern world. Lots of people seem more concerned with other peoples bussiness than there own.

Regards kris

I've just renewed my annual residential mooring with the marina I live in. They have requested a copy of my licence, as part of their duty to CRT. I'll take a copy of the licence to the marina office, but I've just decided not to display it in the window of my boat.

The licence is of no use in the marina anyway. It will be interesting to see what attention it gets, if any.

Or, I might put a notice in the window stating - Licence is in the Email.

Perhaps this would happen less often if you kept the boat somewhere less conspicuous, where it would be harder for photographers to see. May I suggest a large marina?

Funny enough - now that I think about, I don't remember photos being taken of our boat anywhere near as often for the 6 months we moored in the marina; whereas out on the cut it's pretty much a daily occurrence even when moored out in what we consider the middle of nowhere.

So based on that, those folk who don't like the idea of photos being taken of their boats and posted on the internet, I'd also suggest moving into a marina boat.gif

And just for my two cents worth re the OP... I know folks who have their boats in marina's, on line moorings & cc. They are all very happy with their arrangements and aren't interested in changing them. And I personally wouldn't consider any of them as "slum dwellers", to each their own I sayicecream.gif

Seeing as a slum is somewhere with sub-standard housing and squalor I don't think you could put most of the marina's I have visited in that category... I have to say ours is rather lovely, security gates, landscaped grounds, laundrette, shower block, book exchange, bar, refuse collection... Hardly sounds like a slum to me...

As my suggestion was partly in jest, that's interesting info, Betty - many a true word etc.

It is startling to see a marina likened to a slum. After all, most people, whether they want to moor in one or not, would agree that a marina, with its rows of brightly coloured, attractive boats, is usually a pleasant sight, which couldn't be said of real slums.

Edited by Athy

I think as in the title, marina's are the real slums.

Living out on the cut is the best.

Regards kris

Could you post some photos here of the inside and outside of your boat so we can judge for ourselves how neat and tidy and un-slumlike it is?

• Greenie 1

Off on a slight tangent - why do a lot of boat yards look like scrap yards? Very untidy indeed.

I have no Idea of the present day Quantity/quality of work carried out, but in years past the prize for possibly the country's most untidy/apparently junk ridden boat yard (Looks much the same present day) was Charity dock at Bedworth, BUT I know from personal experience the excellent quality of work/repairs they carried out on mine & others boats in the 60's, the quote(Don't judge a book by it cover springs to mind) + although it appeared a complete shambles, the owner knew exactly what was where; & if say you wanted a 6ft length of 2" guard iron could he could direct you to the exact spot. So just because a yard looks a bit iffy it possibly has no relevance to the quality of the work carried out. ( Just my take though)

Edited by X Alan W

As my suggestion was partly in jest, that's interesting info, Betty - many a true word etc.

It is startling to see a marina likened to a slum. After all, most people, whether they want to moor in one or not, would agree that a marina, with its rows of brightly coloured, attractive boats, is usually a pleasant sight, which couldn't be said of real slums.

Our mooring warden has complained that ours looks like a favela, before. I guess home made sheds and salvaged railway sleeper flower beds and old pots full of flowers aren't everyones cup of tea. It's a riot of colour in the summer, the gardens are lovely.

CRT are talking about 'regularising' some of the moorings. By that they mean, destroy all the sheds, remove the planting and pots and garden furniture and whack the price up to Limehouse levels.

This is gutting but at the same time amusing as when we say where we moor other boaters say, 'oh I love those with the gardens, much nicer than those dull ones with just pontoons and nothing else'.

I don't think there's anything you can do about it. Folk take photos of my boat every day and I'm sure a fair few of them end up on the internet.

Wouldn't it be fun when you/we/any of us get to Heaven and we can ask God to show us all of the photos and videos that have been taken of us throughout our lives?

It might take a quarter of a lifetime to browse through, but no worries as we're up there for Perpetuity and need something to keep us entertained.

Unless the Devil gets me, for buying that copy of Canal Boat.

As I've said before slum, is perhaps to emotive. Ghettos of underused boats and cultural deserts would be perhaps be more descriptive about how I feel about marina's.

Regards kris

Better than long lines of unused boats on canal banks.

Our boat's picture ended up on the front of a hire company's brochure, without permission. Loads of floating slums on the system, probably more than slum marinas.

Kris if you don't want your boat photographed don't keep it in a public place.

licence is end of july 2015 8 days ago when was photo taken maybe new 3 month licence is on way or Kriss is not able to print it off ?

That's nothing! We must have passed 50 boats in 8 weeks of cruising this Summer with no displayed licences or licences blatantly out of date - I'm talking years down to 2007...... why these boats haven't been craned out and scrapped/sold at auction suggests that CRT sees all boaters as Equal except some are More Equal than others.

I agree with kris88 partially, in that marina water must be full of Head & Shoulders, spit, floating cigarette butts, shower waste water, potato peelings from down the sink, dirt from mats being beaten....

However, marinas are saviours for those who need safe parking places, and coal, logs, kindling, Elsan/pumpout, water, mains electricity and chandlery miscellaneousosities.

We have visited a few marinas and haven't found fault with any of them, all have had friendly and helpful staff and residents.

Thanks to marinas the canals are relatively open and not chock-a-block with boats.

As I've said before slum, is perhaps to emotive. Ghettos of underused boats and cultural deserts would be perhaps be more descriptive about how I feel about marina's.

Regards kris

'Marina' sounds to me like a posh description of 'Boat Parking Lot'

I have no Idea of the present day Quantity/quality of work carried out, but in years past the prize for possibly the country's most untidy/apparently junk ridden boat yard (Looks much the same present day) was Charity dock at Bedworth.

Yes. Although a few boats moor there I wouldn't class it as a marina, though.

Is it still a working boatyard. I rarely if ever see work being carried out there, although some of the attendant boats are plainly in need of it. I believe that it has a history dating back to the era of commercial boating.

My suspicions are heightened by the diesel pump, which firstly you'd need to cross at least two rows of parked boats to get to, and secondly still displays the price in pence per gallon!

Kris are you aware that it is still a requirement to display your licence, they may not send it out anymore you have to print the PDF they make available for you. If you don't have a printer or are not registered with them on line then they will post you your licence if you ask.

Displaying a paper licence has not been done away with, you still have to display one.

Kris are you aware that it is still a requirement to display your licence, they may not send it out anymore you have to print the PDF they make available for you. If you don't have a printer or are not registered with them on line then they will post you your licence if you ask.

Displaying a paper licence has not been done away with, you still have to display one.

Not sure that is part of the NAA. Going to find out, over the course of the next year. In the marina, we are governed by the NAA. Have just read a summary of the NAA, can't see that it says anywhere that a licence has to be displayed.

How do you know not displaying my liscence?

Regards kris

couple of pics from when we moored in a marina - if this view is someone's idea of a "slum" or "ghetto" I'd like to see what they consider to be idyllic? Again, what suits some doesn't suit others, that doesn't make it wrong

post-20365-0-36672500-1439035144_thumb.jpg

post-20365-0-96749200-1439035621_thumb.jpg

post-20365-0-07279700-1439035691_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bettie Boo

Mooring in a marina is no guarantee that your boat won't get photographed.

Ours appeared in the promotional shots for BWML's marina at Lemonroyd for a while, even after we left. And nobody asked our permission either, not that it bothered me either way.

Mooring in a marina is no guarantee that your boat won't get photographed.

Ours appeared in the promotional shots for BWML's marina at Lemonroyd for a while, even after we left. And nobody asked our permission either, not that it bothered me either way.

True enough Martin, I wasn't trying to suggest it wouldn't get photographed at all if in a marina.

But in our case at least, it was photographed much less while we were in the marina than it has been since we've moved out onto the cut full time happy.png

I don't know where the idea I don't like my boat photographed came from. I said I don't mind the general shot, th close up of the liscence I find creepy,what was the intention of taking such a photo? Then to use it to spread the wrong assertion that my boat isn't liscenced is very wrong in my opinion.

Regards kris

I don't know where the idea I don't like my boat photographed came from. I said I don't mind the general shot, th close up of the liscence I find creepy,what was the intention of taking such a photo? Then to use it to spread the wrong assertion that my boat isn't liscenced is very wrong in my opinion.

Regards kris

No but you said -

Yes I suppose a marina like Mercia is a good place to hide a boat.

Regards kris

I was just saying it might not be such a good place at all.

True enough Martin, I wasn't trying to suggest it wouldn't get photographed at all if in a marina.

But in our case at least, it was photographed much less while we were in the marina than it has been since we've moved out onto the cut full time happy.png

Cheers BB my comments wasn't specifically aimed at you (even though if posting directly following on from your post it looked as though it was)

Another intelligent insightful post

Regards kris

Have none of you amateur detectives bothered checking on line if the boat is liscenced.

No you would rather spread you assptions and preducices.

Regards kris

Whereas your sweeping assumptions and prejudices re marinas are OK?

If you want to avoid attention that might turn out to be a tad discomforting it would pay to keep your head below the parapet.

Curtain twitchers do seem to be inevitable in the modern world. Lots of people seem more concerned with other peoples bussiness than there own.

Regards kris

Including presumably the business of people who happily keep their boats in marinas.