One of the final fully complete Steve Hudson boats.....

Featured Posts

Well you do at least get a proper butch tiller with a Hudson, unlike the boat next door!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yes,

They look particularly butch, particularly from a lesser boat called to the aid of the boat the boat that is "streets ahead in terms of solidity and handling, smoothness, quietness, systems functionality etc"

CIMG4117.JPG

Yes,

They look particularly butch, particularly from a lesser boat called to the aid of the boat the boat that is "streets ahead in terms of solidity and handling, smoothness, quietness, systems functionality etc"

CIMG4117.JPG

Are you pulling Nick off there?

• Greenie 1

Yes,

Presumably you are hinting at the clever autopilot system fitted to your boat that prevents a foolish driver from careering into a shallow bit with stones and bricks too near the surface. Yup it's true, Hudsons don't come with that.

To paraphrase, the best Hudsonian engineering is useless if the driver is an idiot.

Edited by nicknorman

Presumably you are hinting at the clever autopilot system fitted to your boat that prevents a foolish driver from careering into a shallow bit with stones and bricks too near the surface. Yup it's true, Hudsons don't come with that.

To paraphrase, the best Hudsonian engineering is useless if the driver is an idiot.

We wont ask why you are so far over to the side, did you just pass an oil tanker coming the other way?

At least someone got it. Are you still coming up this way this summer?

We are moored in Great Haywood Marina at the moment, missed you by a few days I think as back at work now. Not sure what we are planning next though but should be at Audlem by road.

We wont ask why you are so far over to the side, did you just pass an oil tanker coming the other way?

No. Presumably you missed the original thread, the photo from which Alan like to bring out every few months. In fact I'd just dropped Jeff off at speed to go clue hunting safe in the knowledge that on a previous passage through the bridge it was deep at the side. Except it was deep at the other side, not that side!

No. Presumably you missed the original thread, the photo from which Alan like to bring out every few months. In fact I'd just dropped Jeff off at speed to go clue hunting safe in the knowledge that on a previous passage through the bridge it was deep at the side. Except it was deep at the other side, not that side!

It's odd, because the side that's shallow is the side (towpath) that you'd expect to be deep. But it isn't.

It's odd, because the side that's shallow is the side (towpath) that you'd expect to be deep. But it isn't.

That's because it's less distance for the scrotes to throw things from the towpath. Edited by Rob-M

It sounds as though Nick's boat grounded on rubble and bricks that perhaps had been tipped in the canal by some bright spark, which could only really have been achieved from the Towpath side....

Edited by MJG

It sounds as though Nick's boat grounded on rubble and bricks that perhaps had been tipped in the canal by some bright spark, which could only really have been achieved from the Towpath side....

It's a fairly new bridge for a new bit of road somewhat in the middle of nowhere so I suspect it's always been like that and since the bridge 'ole is quite wide, on a dead end canal with little traffic, someone probably deemed it to be OK, which of course it is if one assumes a normal trajectory!

Anyway, it's provided Alan with hours of fun recounting the anecdote to everyone one he meets, as well as recycling it on here from time to time, so what's not to like?

Edited by nicknorman

It's a fairly new bridge for a new bit of road somewhat in the middle of nowhere so I suspect it's always been like that and since the bridge 'ole is quite wide, on a dead end canal with little traffic, someone probably deemed it to be OK, which of course it is if one assumes a normal trajectory!

Anyway, it's provided Alan with hours of fun recounting the anecdote to everyone one he meets, as well as recycling it on here from time to time, so what's not to like?

Yes, its certainly been repeated more than Top Gear has on Dave, I believe the incident occured in the 2014 BCN challenge, and we've now had the 2015 event so that makes it over a year old now.

It's been like that from the day the bridge was built.

E2A: Before the bridge was there the cut was narrower, it's essentially new water. The towpath could've been 8 - 10 feet wider and there'd be no problem.

Edited by Sabcat

It's not an issue if you buy a sensible boat, with a sensible shallow draught.

Unfortunately I have just sold the only one of those I had!

Yes, its certainly been repeated more than Top Gear has on Dave, I believe the incident occured in the 2014 BCN challenge, and we've now had the 2015 event so that makes it over a year old now.

Unfortunately we couldn't do the 2015 one, or I'm sure we might have "rescued" somebody!

Nick should have come to the Braunston show - he could have photographed me briefly stuck on the off side with Flamingo, (boats were moored 3 abreast on the tow-path, not leaving heaps of depth in the bit of canal that remained), but so far, I have not seen anything that suggests photographic evidence of that "happening", so perhaps I imagined it!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know whats happening at Steve's old yard now?

Yes, it has been taken over by Norton Canes Narrowboats who say they will be offering "full boat sersvices and moorings". They estimate in four to six weeks time.

Edit to say, sorry, this information has already been reported.

Edited by Derek Porteous

Yes, it has been taken over by Norton Canes Narrowboats who say they will be offering "full boat sersvices and moorings". They estimate in four to six weeks time.

Edit to say, sorry, this information has already been reported.

http://www.nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk/home/index.php/moorings/glascote-basin-moorings