One of the final fully complete Steve Hudson boats.....

Featured Posts

The boat is way too expensive for me but I would not be that surprised if it sold at or near its asking price. The exterior colours are unusual but I would not be put off by them. Personally the inside is a bit all the same wood colour I would paint the ceiling white/cream. The silvered wood floor is quite nice but I know from having a similar looking floor on our boat it can soon look dirty. It is still a well made boat under the cosmetic things that are of personal taste and if you wanted a boat built to last there are not so many that much better

My word though there must be a bitter taste for most of the posters here with all the sour grapes being eaten!

That's a very ... personal ... choice of exterior colour!

Refreshingly different and handsome, easy to find in the car park. The seller's name is no doubt Mr. Stroudley.

The thing with expensive boats for me, is: the canal's the same, the locks are just as grubby on their ladders and walls, etc, the towpath is just as muddy, the dog moults just as much no matter what boat she's in. I'd be worried about keeping a boat in pristine condition.

According to the internet, this boat was sold new by Whilton Marina as recently as March, with an asking price of £125,000. Mr. Stroudley must have tired of it very quickly.

The thing with expensive boats for me, is: the canal's the same, the locks are just as grubby on their ladders and walls, etc, the towpath is just as muddy, the dog moults just as much no matter what boat she's in. I'd be worried about keeping a boat in pristine condition.

Sorting the dog moult is easy, but as to the rest it applies to anything, and is the reason why I've never bought a new car. The only advantage of buying new is that it allows you to have the boat you want, rather than the one someone else thought they wanted. Otherwise you are paying a premium in terms of cash and stress, though it gets more enjoyable once you have put the first few chips and scratches on!

According to the internet, this boat was sold new by Whilton Marina as recently as March, with an asking price of £125,000. Mr. Stroudley must have tired of it very quickly.

I suspect it is more likely they tried and failed to sell it through Wilton, and are now trying another broker.

This also refers, which seems to confirm it....

Glora Harper: We are ......but they did offer to tear contract up if we are not satisfied.....if this happens then we will go to Rugby boats.....or ABNB.....my Husband gave them 2 more weeks.....then we had the offer ...but turned out to be timewasters.....

More bizarre though is this....

Malakarti Built by Sm Hudson - Length : 17.48 metres ( 57 feet 4 inches ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.69 ( 2 feet 3 inches ). Metal hull power of 43 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 522241 as a Narrowboat. ( Last updated on Thursday 1st May 2014 )

If it was really licensed by CRT as long ago as 1st May 2014, claiming it to be the last complete Hudson built is clearly a nonsense!

Edited by alan_fincher

Sorting the dog moult is easy,

Please let us know the solution!!!

If it was really licensed by CRT as long ago as 1st May 2014, claiming it to be the last complete Hudson built is clearly a nonsense!

Has anyone let the broker know, after all he's taken the word of the sellers and he might wish to do a bit more research etc.

May she not have been licensed when launched (if she was floating on CRT water, she would need to be) and then fitted out, which would have taken several more months?

I'm now wondering how realistic they are being about the price. Given interesting comments about Whilton in those Facebook comments. We did enquire through them initially interested in a cash sale to them. When we got talking to them about brokerage they suggested putting The Dog House on at considerably more than it ended being up for at RBS. Although we were not in any particular rush to sell I didn't fancy it languishing in Whilton for many many months or longer and placed it with Dominic.

We were guided by Dominic about a realistic price but one wonders having had £125k suggested to them previously by Whilton how much notice they have taken of subsequent advice. (Apologies to the owners if I an doing them a disservice in suggesting this)

Edited by MJG

Has anyone let the broker know, after all he's taken the word of the sellers and he might wish to do a bit more research etc.

I suspect the ad. description needs to catch up with the video commentary, which refers to it being 'one of the last'. (We had a couple of errors in ours which were corrected when I notified RBS).

A shotgun usually sorts it.

Proper trolling or just being mischievous Nick?

PS Trust me, a shotgun would be FAR messier than the moulting issue. I've had to clear up after animals have been shot (farm animals, admittedly much larger) and its not a trivial task.

Each to their own, and no doubt a big saving over a new price, (or a big loss to the owner that is selling it so soon), but it does seem an eye watering price for what is essentially a mid-length production line produced boat with a modern buzzy engine.

Perhaps the colour may appeal to someone, but I have seen this boat, and describing as "unusual" is being kind of polite, in my view.

I'd expect to buy a minimum of two boats, possibly three, for this kind of money, but we are all different, of course! laugh.png

I think this one was delivered and on its mooring a long while before Mr Hudson's passing, so I do find the claim it was the last very surprising, in view of how many he was turning out.

Well I didn't say I was referring to the one advertised wink.png

Regarding price, it appears to be to SMH (admittedly very full) mid range spec. with addition of BT, TravelPower and cratch. No trad engine room or back cabin and only 57 feet, so its unlikely to have cost more than asking price, which certainly won't be achieved.

I'm now wondering how realistic they are being about the price. Given interesting comments about Whilton in those Facebook comments. We did enquire through them initially interested in a cash sale to them. When we got talking to them about brokerage they suggested putting The Dog House on at considerably more than it ended being up for at RBS. Although we were not in any particular rush to sell I didn't fancy it languishing in Whilton for many many months or longer and placed it with Dominic.

We were guided by Dominic about a realistic price but one wonders having had £125k suggested to them previously by Whilton how much notice they have taken of subsequent advice. (Apologies to the owners if I an doing them a disservice in suggesting this)

Well in the Facebook post I linked to, where it was priced at £125K, there is also a post that says....

Beautifull boat , remember seeing it sometime ago when it was mega bucks . Come down , great but to most folks sadly still unreachable

so if that is true, the initial attempt was to try and market it at an even higher figure!

Right then, I was wondering if amongst all this wonderful free publicity you could put up links to all the photos and the video too happy.png

Seriously, I was led to believe that this was one of the last to be completed at Glascote, and it is. The very last: apparently not, according to an email I received overnight from Martyn Webster, Steve H's former business partner.

Hudson boats were not cheap new and a lot of extras are on this. It is as good as new as the owners had it built and then have been unable to use it for personal reasons. It is, as they say about a certain brand of Belgian beer, reassuringly expensive. It certainly is at a discount from the brand new price, and some might suggest that as there will not be anymore built, perhaps they now have an added value. Time and the market will provide the answer to that one.

Whether you like Hudson boats or not, the stupid bow and the stick on rivets as some here sneer, the fact is that the guy built up a very successful business producing a boat that many aspired to and were prepared to pay good money for. He never let a customer down financially, unlike one or two other boat builders who have a history of serial bankruptcy and receivership.

It was not sold by Whilton by the way, but it was on brokerage there for a while.

My apologies for the confusion over the engine hours. The brochure is correct, the website text not corrected owing to human error and advancing senility on my part.

Dominic (500,000 hours)

Right then, I was wondering if amongst all this wonderful free publicity you could put up links to all the photos and the video too happy.png

Seriously, I was led to believe that this was one of the last to be completed at Glascote, and it is. The very last: apparently not, according to an email I received overnight from Martyn Webster, Steve H's former business partner.

Hudson boats were not cheap new and a lot of extras are on this. It is as good as new as the owners had it built and then have been unable to use it for personal reasons. It is, as they say about a certain brand of Belgian beer, reassuringly expensive. It certainly is at a discount from the brand new price, and some might suggest that as there will not be anymore built, perhaps they now have an added value. Time and the market will provide the answer to that one.

Whether you like Hudson boats or not, the stupid bow and the stick on rivets as some here sneer, the fact is that the guy built up a very successful business producing a boat that many aspired to and were prepared to pay good money for. He never let a customer down financially, unlike one or two other boat builders who have a history of serial bankruptcy and receivership.

It was not sold by Whilton by the way, but it was on brokerage there for a while.

My apologies for the confusion over the engine hours. The brochure is correct, the website text not corrected owing to human error and advancing senility on my part.

Dominic (500,000 hours)

Quite so and as you say the market will prove the price right or not.

As I recall when browsing the SH website and using their price indicator facility I seem to recall a 50ft B spec boat (the cheapest spec and length on offer) is came out at £90K or a little more with no extras. It does not take much when upping the spec/length or adding some of the many extras you could have to had many more 10s of 1000s to the price.

It is a nice boat not in my price range (and I've already got a boat) but it will be great for someone.

Dominic (500,000 hours)

I've edited my original post in light of that info. Perhaps a mod. could alter the title thread because us mere mortals are not allowed to.....

I suspect it is more likely they tried and failed to sell it through Wilton, and are now trying another broker.

This also refers, which seems to confirm it....

More bizarre though is this....

It looks as if it was for sale back in February https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanalMarketPlace/permalink/1549080848705398/

and the reason for the sale is given here https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanalMarketPlace/permalink/1602821363331346/