One of the final fully complete Steve Hudson boats.....

Featured Posts

Just in case anyone is interested.....

Venice was completed in the autumn at Glascote and is still there. Charlotte is being completed at Heyford Fields marina and there are a couple of others whose names I don't know also in various stages of completion, again at Glascote.

Dave

And there's one being completed by Phil at Wharf House in Braunston.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just in case anyone is interested.....

Venice was completed in the autumn at Glascote and is still there. Charlotte is being completed at Heyford Fields marina and there are a couple of others whose names I don't know also in various stages of completion, again at Glascote.

Dave

Charlotte went into the water this week at Heyford Fields.

post-706-0-26297300-1469282664_thumb.jpeg

Charlotte went into the water this week at Heyford Fields.

Knowing nothing of these boats, a question Are all the fore ends that shape? or is it the way its painted that gives the impression it's "scrunched up ? the fore end lines seem all at odds between fore end & forward bulkhead

Knowing nothing of these boats, a question Are all the fore ends that shape? or is it the way its painted that gives the impression it's "scrunched up ? the fore end lines seem all at odds between fore end & forward bulkhead

They are all like that. It's the USP. Just like a Josher ?

Edited by Captain Pegg

Only in about two thirds of the length of foreend

Note my smiley. It's a bit small I know, but there's a little wink there.

Viewed from a certain angle the top bends of Hudsons can look a bit strange which may have prompted the original query.

Joshers and Hudsons have little in common bow wise. I'm in Glascote regularly, both as moorer and wearing my day job hat as signwriter and decorator and there are both types moored adjacent for direct comparison.

The gathering of Hudson owners there seems to have gone well this weekend, I popped over yesterday to mingle and support the Norton Canes element.....a good night, well lubricated and fed, impromptu musical (?) contributions by yours truly.

Dave

I'm not against Hudsons per se, they are well engineered and solid boats. And there's several kinds of Josher to compare to- Yarwoods, Saltley, etc.

But I am against people comparing them to something they aren't. The back end is quite Joshery, but the fore end isn't. Better than those Stowe Hill axeheads! There's certain flavours or impressions there, but it's no way near a replica, as some misguidedly think.

I'm not against Hudsons per se, they are well engineered and solid boats. And there's several kinds of Josher to compare to- Yarwoods, Saltley, etc.

But I am against people comparing them to something they aren't. The back end is quite Joshery, but the fore end isn't. Better than those Stowe Hill axeheads! There's certain flavours or impressions there, but it's no way near a replica, as some misguidedly think.

It's funny how only people who don't own a Hudson that are the ones who think it is a replica / should look like a josher but doesn't. If I wanted a josher I'd have bought one - complete with rusty iron, woodworm and rot, a tiny cabin fit only for dwarves and a completely pointless huge open hold space. And if that isn't bad enough, not even Empirbus to run the electrics!

Hudsons are not Joshers - thank heavens!

Anyway in my opinion lumpy old Joshers with cabin conversions are a feeble attempt at a Hudson replica.

It's funny how only people who don't own a Hudson that are the ones who think it is a replica / should look like a josher but doesn't. If I wanted a josher I'd have bought one - complete with rusty iron, woodworm and rot, a tiny cabin fit only for dwarves and a completely pointless huge open hold space. And if that isn't bad enough, not even Empirbus to run the electrics!

Hudsons are not Joshers - thank heavens!

Anyway in my opinion lumpy old Joshers with cabin conversions are a feeble attempt at a Hudson replica.

Mostly it seemed to be Mr Hudson himself who thought they looked like Joshers since I believe in his own words they were 'Josher-styled' and wasn't there an option called a 'Josher pack'?

Personally I don't have a view on what they should look like, overall they are attractive boats.

But given a choice I would have a proper Josher, although I am not sure if there any iron or steel hulled Josher butties or horse boats I could tow behind Vulpes?

JP

Mostly it seemed to be Mr Hudson himself who thought they looked like Joshers since I believe in his own words they were 'Josher-styled' and wasn't there an option called a 'Josher pack'?

Personally I don't have a view on what they should look like, overall they are attractive boats.

But given a choice I would have a proper Josher, although I am not sure if there any iron or steel hulled Josher butties or horse boats I could tow behind Vulpes?

JP

"Josher-style bow" was on the website. But certainly not "Josher replica". To me, the -style just means it was vaguely inspired by it, not an exact replica. If Steve had wanted to build a Josher replica bow he would have done, but then his product wouldn't have been distinctive. It's all about the brand! That canniness is why he sold over 200 boats before his premature demise.

"Josher-style bow" was on the website. But certainly not "Josher replica". To me, the -style just means it was vaguely inspired by it, not an exact replica. If Steve had wanted to build a Josher replica bow he would have done, but then his product wouldn't have been distinctive. It's all about the brand! That canniness is why he sold over 200 boats before his premature demise.

Yes, Steve Hudson wanted to build a brand, and that involved making something that was distinct, and could be recognised a mile off. So the bow is exaggerated, and so is the lift at the stern. Certainly on every occasion I spoke to him, he never claimed it was a Josher bow, but rather Josher inspired, by which he meant it was curvy.

Yes, Steve Hudson wanted to build a brand, and that involved making something that was distinct, and could be recognised a mile off. So the bow is exaggerated, and so is the lift at the stern. Certainly on every occasion I spoke to him, he never claimed it was a Josher bow, but rather Josher inspired, by which he meant it was curvy.

So is the stuff about using a set of measurements from a real Josher a bit of salesmanship or perhaps an urban myth?

Well no body has said it but I will.

I do think some (though not all) anti Hudson sentiment is borne out of rather petty jealousy about other people being able to afford such a nice well built boat.

So is the stuff about using a set of measurements from a real Josher a bit of salesmanship or perhaps an urban myth?

It's something I've only ever heard on here from people who don't have a Hudson, so I'd say it is an urban myth born out of jealousy. Well either that or his tape measure was metric whilst his brain was imperial!

It's the aim of the Hudson owners to change accepted history and create new myths. This will lead to a whole fleet of genuine Hudson replica boats appearing at the Historic festivals from 2026 onwards

Quite right, and that is the course of all history. In the same way, the "historic boat brigade" have chosen a moment in the 250 year history of canaling to fix in amber. Somewhere after the demise of the horse, after the demise of the steam power, mostly after the demise of wood but before the advent of comfortable steel leisure boats. Edited by nicknorman

It's the aim of the Hudson owners to change accepted history and create new myths. This will lead to a whole fleet of genuine Hudson replica boats appearing at the Historic festivals from 2026 onwards

cheers.gif

Does this mean there will be a thriving market in genuine ex Hudson squashed washers, rivets for the faking of?

Edited by Victor Vectis

Quite right, and that is the course of all history. In the same way, the "historic boat brigade" have chosen a moment in the 250 year history of canaling to fix in amber. Somewhere after the demise of the horse, after the demise of the steam power, mostly after the demise of wood but before the advent of comfortable steel leisure boats.

And after WWII and the redundancy of gas masks as far as the need for a chimney chain is concerned.

(Historic boater, without a historic chimney chain).