One of the final fully complete Steve Hudson boats.....

Featured Posts

Improved engine green.

I had to Google that but yes you are correct.

(I wont ask why a brown colour is actually called 'green').

And actually I like it too and suspect it won't fade and weather as badly as our red boat did.

I really like the colour, a touch of the Great Western about it. Certainly beats one that passed me this morning. In the words of Mortitia Addams - I can forgive anything but pastels. It looked like the owner had chosen the colour palette from every season in Barbie's wardrobe. I thought I was hallucinating.

I had to Google that but yes you are correct.

(I wont ask why a brown colour is actually called 'green').

And actually I like it too and suspect it won't fade and weather as badly as our red boat did.

Hence my "Stroudley" reference earlier. As you do not, to my knowledge, wear an anorak, you would not have understood this, but I bet Mr. Fincher and a few others on here did.

William Stroudley was a locomotive superintendent, first on the Highland Railway and latterly down South in Brighton, in Victorian times. He was apparently colour-blind. He introduced this livery, which he called "improved engine green", on both these railways. As he was an autocratic man in a position of great power, no one dared say, "Er. Mr. Stroudley, it's kind of yellowy-brown actually" for fear of losing his job and getting a damn' good horsewhipping into the bargain. When I saw the photo of this boat my first thought was "improved engine green".

I'll get me anorak.

Trivia note: his best-known class of engines were called Terriers.

Edited by Athy

Seems it was because the dog didn't like it. Maybe it was the colour?

I wondered the same thing!

New dog required. ..

Indeed -- a boat is likely to last much longer than a dog. And be cheaper to change. Edited by adam1uk

My apologies for the confusion over the engine hours. The brochure is correct, the website text not corrected owing to human error and advancing senility on my part.

Dominic (500,000 hours)

Are you really only just 57years old? :) Edited by Loddon

Now if I'd said that I'd have been accused of trolling by the Anthropomorphic Extremists, but I guess you can get away with it!

edited because it didnt fit this posting in the thread

Edited by ditchcrawler

It may be my worsening eyesight, but I'm struggling to see this as Stroudley's "Improved Engine Green".

To me it is almost half way between that and the Umber colour used on LBSCR locomotives at other times.

However IMO both sit well on a steam locomotive, but not, I feel, a modern leisure narrow boat.

1426-01.jpg

Stroudley_Terrier.jpg

473a_mt.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

It may be my worsening eyesight, but I'm struggling to see this as Stroudley's "Improved Engine Green".

To me it is almost half way between that and the Umber colour used on LBSCR locomotives at other times.

However IMO both sit well on a steam locomotive, but not, I feel, a modern leisure narrow boat.

It is indeed all a matter of taste and personal preference.

I don't mind the colour scheme. I suppose it would not be my first choice but its Ok and a lot better than some I have seen.

In fact not so different to the "Three Fellows" paint scheme I have seen on a working boat. Mind you I wasn't so keen on that.

I think dark definite non chromatic colours look better on large objects like locomotives and narrowboats/widebeams. Bright colours don't look right to me.

Looks pretty darned similar to me, perhaps a shade deeper than the loco "green" but a similar tone. There was, I believe, a slightly darker shade of IEG known as "goods green", obviously used on goods locomotives.

Umber? Was that used on the River Class locos?biggrin.png

Buzzy engine! Great term.

I read the comments on the colour before I opened the link, half-expecting to see something pink or purple... Rainbow is my favourite colour (not an actual colour, I know) and there are few colours that I really don't like, but damn, that tin of paint didn't half fall out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Right then, I was wondering if amongst all this wonderful free publicity you could put up links to all the photos and the video too happy.png

Seriously, I was led to believe that this was one of the last to be completed at Glascote, and it is. The very last: apparently not, according to an email I received overnight from Martyn Webster, Steve H's former business partner.

Hudson boats were not cheap new and a lot of extras are on this. It is as good as new as the owners had it built and then have been unable to use it for personal reasons. It is, as they say about a certain brand of Belgian beer, reassuringly expensive. It certainly is at a discount from the brand new price, and some might suggest that as there will not be anymore built, perhaps they now have an added value. Time and the market will provide the answer to that one.

Whether you like Hudson boats or not, the stupid bow and the stick on rivets as some here sneer, the fact is that the guy built up a very successful business producing a boat that many aspired to and were prepared to pay good money for. He never let a customer down financially, unlike one or two other boat builders who have a history of serial bankruptcy and receivership.

It was not sold by Whilton by the way, but it was on brokerage there for a while.

My apologies for the confusion over the engine hours. The brochure is correct, the website text not corrected owing to human error and advancing senility on my part.

Dominic (500,000 hours)

Well I really like it, and the colour. If it had a Gardner I would love it !

Probably the nicest boat I have seen advertised this year. It's beautifully put together, but without some of the overly sculpted joinery seen in so many of today's higher end builds.

I do think that Hudson's are superbly built, and if they are looked after will be seen in a few years as modern day classics. You can't say that about many things these days!

I like the colour, if only it had a steam engine :)

Trust me, they are at least as much trouble as they are worth!

Now if I'd said that I'd have been accused of trolling by the Anthropomorphic Extremists, but I guess you can get away with it!

No comment. All tongue in cheek obviously.

Also a step between suggesting another dog, and shotting the old!

Daniel

This has been posted by the owner on the CWDF FaceBook pages.

For completeness, I have said I will cut and paste it to here, as it refers mostly to the discussion that has taken place on the main forum, I think.

I would just like to point out a few facts about our boat being discussed on here at the moment .....just to get the facts straight..!!
December...2012......went to see builder..to talk about having our boat built.
A...standard pack
B....Deluxe
FEBRUARY.....2013...B Deluxe chosen..started on Hull in 2013
Builder told us should take 10months to 1year to complete.....
Completed with all the extras.....May 2014...picked up June 2014...
Not the LAST.Hudson too be built.....but one of the last to be completed.....
Extras....Travel Pack..Tunnel Light ..Cratch cover...back and front..bow thrusters.... ......fridge....freezer.washing machine....hand made tiles around sink in kitchen....hand made work top.plus tiles in bathroom....2...teles plus sattalite Oyster and terrestorial tv ariels.....CD player.....Down Lighting.wall lights...2 Leather chairs and stool.....Blinds...in kitchen and lounge.....carpet extra on Bow (all Weather)and stern...extra gages on pump out toilet ...and fuel

If the person who started this discussion....new his facts properly ......(.who actually worked at the Boatyard) obviously didnt have anything to do with accounts....he..would know how much it costs to have a Hudson built with extras...
Cost......with VAT......£145.000..fact!!

.all receipts are on boat for people to see if interested...now forsale with Rugby boats....£125.000 or near offer.....

Dogs.....
Its very easy to say get another dog.....but they are part of our family......its not because they dont like the colour......its because of her hips she cannot get on it......!!!!
There are good comments on the discussion.......but also very stupid ones!!!!