The Dog House - sold.....

Featured Posts

So that's it we are sans boat once again. Completed the sale today and money safely in the account.

It did take slightly longer than we expected to sell but in the main it wasn't for the lack of viewings but rather we did sell knowing the paintwork would need re doing in the not too distant future. Plenty of people viewed the boat perhaps not realising (or perhaps agreeing) that the price we agreed to broker the boat at did fully reflect this. The main issue was the faded cabin sides, being a red boat they had faded quite badly over the years and despite best efforts they couldn't be brought back to life. We did have some work done to the gunwales, well deck and gas locker floor prior to sale but the cabin sides really couldn't be made much better. Red is NOT a good colour for a boat.

Fortunately somebody had the sense to see past this and see that with a re-paint (if they so choose) the boat would be once again a really good example of a Colecraft/Bath narrowboat's boat. The interior fit out is and always was superb and we were lucky to find someone who could recognise this.

The survey did highlight a small number of easily rectifiable issues which were duly done to complete the sale.

I should mention the service from Rugby boats which was very good as do often is reported on here. They kept me fully in the loop and dealt with the sale very professionally sorted the post survey jobs that needed doing without fuss. Steve Townhill in particular was particularly helpful.

So that's it, maybe see you on the cut as hire boaters once again..........

Any truth in the rumour that you and Jan have been spotted at used-vehicle lots viewing upmarket motor caravans?

Well done for eventually getting the result that you wished for! Does this mean that you will no longer be coming on here and arguing with engaging in lively discussion with other CWFers?

Ah I wondered when the announcement would finally be.

Having travelled past it several times, being at first just pulled out with surveyors marks on it, and then subsequently being blacked, it was fairly obvious the survey was OK, or the blacking would probably not have occurred!

It seems strange though that I am not aware of any of the other forum members boats on sale there having yet found a buyer, (although I must admit I have not looked at Dominic's website recently, maybe some now have sold??).

Well done you !,

& I for one really do hope that you keep posting, you've helped me out on so many occasions, especially when I first joined, And please forgive me if I still call you TDH,,,It takes time for me to 're adjust,

So what's your plans now, or have I missed something, Will the new TDH be joining CWDF ?

Good luck matey, in what ever your next move is..

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Any truth in the rumour that you and Jan have been spotted at used-vehicle lots viewing upmarket motor caravans?

Well done for eventually getting the result that you wished for! Does this mean that you will no longer be coming on here and arguing with engaging in lively discussion with other CWFers?

Not a motorhome no. We have been extensively researching motorhome owner ship including the pros and con's and we are returning to our touring caravanning roots. We now have the funds to buy a decent 'van and a decent tow car and are already planning an extensive European trip next year.

Well done at last, certainly a great river cruising narrowboat if that's what the owners need.

Cheers Matty - and thanks again for the pre-sale prep work you did for us, it undoubtedly helped with the sale. As far as I can work out the new owners live not far from the Southern GU so I am not sure what their plans are.

Just because The Dog House is in new ownership , I hope the Kennel Manager will still grace us with his presence. Well done and good luck.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I do plan to stick around but as I said recently I don't anticipate much contribution.

Having travelled past it several times, being at first just pulled out with surveyors marks on it, and then subsequently being blacked, it was fairly obvious the survey was OK, or the blacking would probably not have occurred!

It seems strange though that I am not aware of any of the other forum members boats on sale there having yet found a buyer, (although I must admit I have not looked at Dominic's website recently, maybe some now have sold??).

Lily Maude is under offer.

Yes I was tempted to say something when they decided to have the boat blacked as that felt very much like the end, but I just didn't want to jinx anything until the money landed, which it did today...

Oh good - let's hope it goes through without issues, because I feel Keith could really do with some good news.

There were a couple of issues to be sorted out as condition of the sale, but these are now sorted as far as I am aware.

Edited by matty40s

Been past Doms Place twice in the past week or so. Have also looked at the web site. They have had a good few weeks it seems.

He certainly turns over the sales.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

I found a buyer at full asking price but changed my mind so yes technically not sold

Oh good - let's hope it goes through without issues, because I feel Keith could really do with some good news.

I think he said on my Facebook page it was all done

I think he said on my Facebook page it was all done

Yes he said he had just signed the transfer document so some good news

So that's it we are sans boat once again. Completed the sale today and money safely in the account.

It did take slightly longer than we expected to sell but in the main it wasn't for the lack of viewings but rather we did sell knowing the paintwork would need re doing in the not too distant future. Plenty of people viewed the boat perhaps not realising (or perhaps agreeing) that the price we agreed to broker the boat at did fully reflect this. The main issue was the faded cabin sides, being a red boat they had faded quite badly over the years and despite best efforts they couldn't be brought back to life. We did have some work done to the gunwales, well deck and gas locker floor prior to sale but the cabin sides really couldn't be made much better. Red is NOT a good colour for a boat.

Fortunately somebody had the sense to see past this and see that with a re-paint (if they so choose) the boat would be once again a really good example of a Colecraft/Bath narrowboat's boat. The interior fit out is and always was superb and we were lucky to find someone who could recognise this.

The survey did highlight a small number of easily rectifiable issues which were duly done to complete the sale.

I should mention the service from Rugby boats which was very good as do often is reported on here. They kept me fully in the loop and dealt with the sale very professionally sorted the post survey jobs that needed doing without fuss. Steve Townhill in particular was particularly helpful.

Same here with Innisfree, looked scruffy and needed a paint job but I think the few viewers we had didn't look beyond the surface and realise just well equipped it was. Only one realised this and bought it on the spot, got themselves a bargain.

Though it was sad to see her go.

Yes he said he had just signed the transfer document so some good news

Just on that point and for interest I hadn't signed my transfer of ownership document or obviously sent it to CRT until I was sure the sale completed, I planned to do it tomorrow.

I did however get an email from CRT today informing me that they had been informed by the new owners that the ownership of The Dog House had been transferred to them and to contact CRT within 14 days if this was not correct. I have completed the transfer document too just in case and I assume the email was generated by the new owners licence application.

Once having made the decision to sell I expect it is a relief to now have the boat sold.

One chapter closes and hopefully a new one opens. Good luck and enjoy life with whatever is next.

Once having made the decision to sell I expect it is a relief to now have the boat sold.

Indeed it is, and the longer it goes on the more tempted you are to either think about asking the broker to shave a bit off the price or get tempted into accepting a too cheeky an offer. Fortunately we were in no real rush for the money - we just had things on hold until it went through, because of this I was able to feel OK rejecting what were in my opinion two too low offers (quite low actually) and hold out for something much nearer the asking price which I feel we got in the end.

Overall it actually only took just over 11 weeks from first being listed to getting an offer we were willing to accept, and then just under a further four to fully complete and receive the funds which is actually not bad going really. Yes some boats sell within days ours just took a bit longer, but a lot less than some.