What Lies On The Bottom?

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

My mistake.

When you responded to the list of weapons found in the canal by saying "That's LONDISTAN for you a lovely place", I thought you were being sarcastic. In fact, of course, you were sincerely celebrating the city's multicultural diversity, as reflected in the heartwarming image of so many different weapons - crossbows, guns, axes and knives - peacefully co-existing on the canal bed.

This may come as a shock to you, but the term "Londistan" is sometimes used in a pejorative sense by racists who believe that the growth in London's Muslim population has changed it for the worse. (Yes, really!) Of course, I now understand that you were using the term as a sort of proud affirmation of London's status as a centre of multiculturalism.

Please accept my humble apologies.

Londistan is not racist ...

I thought the term was "Londonistan"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londonistan_(term)

Tread carefully on the references to race, chaps.

I am keeping a close eye on this one and will alert the rest of the crew.

N

Yes, race is another taboo subject on this forum. Middle-class whites can't handle it! laugh.png

The other morning we were moored about 5 boat lengths past the western end of Islington tunnel just before the bridge, with one boat moored in front of us.

As we were having our morning cofee...tap tap tap on the side of the boat...the police nicely asking us to move on as they had divers coming in 20 min-1/2 hour that needed to go into the water where our boat was moored.

Turns out they were searching that stretch of canal for a murder weapon. They had so far, in previous days searched the stretch from the tunnel to where we were moored and so far had found:

A cross bow

A axe

5 guns

Assorted knives

Non of which were the particular weapon they were looking for.

I appreciate, sometimes I go through life with "rose colored glasses" on, but does anyone else not thing this is a massive number of weapons to find in what seems to me to be a very short section of London canal?

Just glad to be back on the Grand Union cool.png

London's last gun amnesty was just before Christmas with some 350 guns handed in and over 12,000 rounds of ammunition.

My Dad who was a policeman in London's East End recalls a working heavy machine gun (M2 Browning) and a French field gun being handed in at Leman Street in the 1960's during an amnesty. The field gun came complete with five gas shells!

Of course, many Londoners have not taken advantage of the amnesties and simply dumped guns in any available waterway.

I had noticed that there was very little mention of Ascot (obviously it is a race venue now I think of it) on this forum so I suppose that it would be wrong to mention the colour of the Horse that was in the lead .

Is that why pot black was discontinued on the tv ? who ever came up with that title I hope they where fired.

I had noticed that there was very little mention of Ascot (obviously it is a race venue now I think of it) on this forum so I suppose that it would be wrong to mention the colour of the Horse that was in the lead .

Is that why pot black was discontinued on the tv ? who ever came up with that title I hope they where fired.

And don't forget if you are watching in Black and White the Pink is the one behind the brown.

One extra point I had a great chat the other day with a fellow who had a better tan than me (although I am getting there) he was the type that

smiley_offtopic.gif This reminded me of a conversation I had the other day with the check out lady at the canal side Sainsbury's at Alperton.

Lady "oh have you been away somewhere nice on holiday?"

Me "No, why do you ask?"

Lady "oh, you must be off one of the boats, you've got such a lovely tan"

Now I appreciate the cork ball key chain is normally a dead give away to identify a boater, and some head gear could suggest a boater; but it's the first time I've been identified as a boater because I have a half way decent tan. Well on my arms, face and chest anyway icecream.gif

ETA - I didn't have my keys with me, and I never wear a hat

Edited by Bettie Boo

One extra point I had a great chat the other day with a fellow who had a better tan than me (although I am getting there) he was the type that has a beard and a turban thingy on his head he has been trying to get a couple of his friends to hire a boat with him so I adviced him about rings said four counties was a good one .

Religion did not seem to come up in the conversation so did I do wrong ?

Oh dear oh dear.

Right. Look. I'm sure that you're not really a hateful person at all. Your boat is called "Peace", for goodness' sake. Bear with me.

Suppose the first post in this thread had been about pile of weapons found in Ealing (where there's a large Sikh population).

Now suppose you'd responded by saying "That's EALSINGH for you a lovely place".

This Sikh friend of yours - might he then justifiably wonder if, in spite of your oh-so-tactful references to his skin colour as a "tan" etc., you in fact have some kind of problem with Sikhs? That you associate their prevalence in an area with the prevalence of weapons/violence? Otherwise, why would you use that pun on the place name?

Would you be able, do you suppose, to persuade him that you were simply trying to recognise that Ealing is "a place of multiculturalism"?

Surely you can see the problem here?

I thought the term was "Londonistan"?

Type #londistan into Twitter and you'll see that the the term is very much in use, and very much associated with racism.

• Greenie 1

A little more on topic. The times I have boated through/to Wolverhampton and the 21 lock flight down to the Worcester & Staffy the water has nearly always been gin clear and you can very clearly see right to the bottom. It makes an interesting distraction so much so one time I was trying to make out what something was lying on the bottom (it seemed to be a couple of entangled motorbikes) that I bumped the bank!

:smiley_offtopic: This reminded me of a conversation I had the other day with the check out lady at the canal side Sainsbury's at Alperton.

Me "No, why do you ask?"

Now I appreciate the cork ball key chain is normally a dead give away to identify a boater, and some head gear could suggest a boater; but it's the first time I've been identified as a boater because I have a half way decent tan. Well on my arms, face and ch

Brown hands, white fingers - dead giveaway!

I have not seen any raciest comments, only the comment that some one thought it was and the explanation it wasn't, unless you can't use the word Raciest

I don't, as a rule, object to racy comments but the raciest ones might contravene the bounds of decency so these need to be avoided as appropriate.

:)

smiley_offtopic.gif This reminded me of a conversation I had the other day with the check out lady at the canal side Sainsbury's at Alperton.

Me "No, why do you ask?"

Now I appreciate the cork ball key chain is normally a dead give away to identify a boater, and some head gear could suggest a boater; but it's the first time I've been identified as a boater because I have a half way decent tan. Well on my arms, face and chest anyway icecream.gif

Similarly when I got home after the BCN Challenge one of the neighbours looked at the tan and said been somewhere nice, the response of Burmingham (we live in Solihull) rather confused them. I guess most people don't realise what a bit of time spent out side is.

My boating neighbour is a Muslim of Pakistani descent. I imagine she would be disgusted that the first response to a thread about weapons in the canal would refer to 'Londonistan'.

It's a racist comment, pure and simple. Being descended from immigrants doesn't make it ok, it makes it worse. Typical Pakistanis in this country have had to put up with extreme racism and intolerance for decades. Insinuating that they all carry weapons which explains their presence in the canal is very offensive to me and many others.

Have you met him then?

Or did you mean you find his internet personality and opinions abhorrent...?

it was my Internet persona that found his internet persona obnoxious.

I have no idea how I would find him in real life but if he used the same expression he would get the same reaction.

zero tolerance old bean zero.

Edited by Dave Clinton

Under my boat there is a bag of coal, a plate, two mugs, an ashpan, many teaspoons and several glasses, at last count, at the very least!

Does your bag of coal have a pair of expensive specs with it, though?

And do you have the legacy of a completely knackered and very painful shoulder caused by "placing" them there?

Whilst re stocking bar after visitors thought it was a floating bar for the weekend .... The poor Tesco delivery guy dropped a case of beer into River.... now that was fun.... several passing boats thought they could claim as salvage recovery! It was like a giant version of catch a duck at the fair..

Does your bag of coal have a pair of expensive specs with it, though?

And do you have the legacy of a completely knackered and very painful shoulder caused by "placing" them there?

God, you're so competitive Dad! :D

I did go in with the coal, in January 2013. It was not pleasant, also, I lost my tracksuit bottoms at the time too as they got so heavy with water and only had a drawstring waist.

Under my boat you would find an axe (kindling for the use of) my wedding ring and my signet ring both lost st different times, weird how your fingers get thinner when cold, rings just dropped off. Also a Stanley knife , 2 screwdrivers, and a maglight torch, does loose change count?

Phil

Under my boat there is a bag of coal, a plate, two mugs, an ashpan, many teaspoons and several glasses, at last count, at the very least!

That's genius, I hadn't thought of using the under-the-boat space for storage - at least you know where everything is should you need it. Sadly, I've tended to spread my offerings about whilst on the move - so far I've contributed a couple of pairs of specs, a chimney hat (actually two come to think of it), a phone, oh and one glove.

LCx

So glad nothing was found in little venice could have upset the nannies maybe that is why Hull as dropped the Kingston part of its name after all Wilberforce was from there I would say a great englishman BUT I suppose I have to sat human so as not to upset those who see trouble in everything oh well its a gay old life

Now if I do have a prejudice then its against all religions that spout peace and harmony but do not practice it .

Here endeth my diatribe on such a silly thing Rest in peace and remember I am only White because of Darwinism.

Take note that I have edited my original post to pacify an idiot and some others who only see a narrow view of life yet can call a fellow poster an old bean what's that about ?

Edited by b0atman

Right then lets get back on topic when not single handing I often dangle my magnet in the water and amazingly I have a cherished collection of rusty nails .I must get around to cataloguing them.

Has anyone actually got anything like a gun or something that had value and I do not mean the supermarket trolley that still had a pound in it.