Knocking Etiquette

clbrof

Featured Posts

What are people's views on knocking on a boat? Sometimes people/neighbours will knock and be standing on my back deck and peering down through the hatch. I find it strange? I usually knock and wait to be invited aboard, what's the etiquette?

Never go aboard a boat which is occupied until you're invited to do so. Standing on the towpath or jetty and knocking on the side or roof is a good way of attracting the occupants' attention.

What are people's views on knocking on a boat? Sometimes people/neighbours will knock and be standing on my back deck and peering down through the hatch. I find it strange? I usually knock and wait to be invited aboard, what's the etiquette?

Definitely not etiquette!

I stand on the towpath, or next boat if breasted up, facing the stern alongside the cabin. Knock on the cabin side and wait. When the slide or doors open you are not in a position to see inside the cabin thus no embarrassment either way.

George ex nb Alton retired

That's what I thought, feel a bit invaded when people do that. Going to be putting up some 'dog' gates I made soon, hopefully that will keep the humans at bay, the dog doesn't even get off the boat unless told to.....

Downright rude and ignorant to do so.

Ignorant yes, if they are not boaters they don't know what is expected of them until someone tells them. This is ignorance of the correct procedure.

That's what I thought, feel a bit invaded when people do that. Going to be putting up some 'dog' gates I made soon, hopefully that will keep the humans at bay, the dog doesn't even get off the boat unless told to.....

Do people often come on your boat uninvited then. I can only think of about 4 occasions in 12 years that it has happened to me and that includes tourists in Stratford Basin

Edit to add

See also http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75290&p=1548001

Edited by ditchcrawler

I can't think of many reasons why anyone should ever step onto a boat without knocking first and being invited, but if i did have to do so it would follow a loudish "coming aboard" or "coming across" if i was crosding a breasted boat.

If you look carefully you'll find every boat has a little sticker somewhere on the edge of the roof which says 'Please Knock Here', that's where you give a couple of knocks, and call out "Hello, Is anybody in? It's not the Police!"

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

If you look carefully you'll find every boat has a little sticker somewhere on the edge of the roof which says 'Please Knock Here', that's where you give a couple of knocks, and call out "Hello, Is anybody in? It's not the Police!"

clapping.gifclapping.gif

The only time I've stepped aboard a boat without being invited was when the mooring lines were no longer attached to anything at the bank and as it happens no one was aboard. The first time I went to see someone aboard I knocked on a window. As a non boater it's hard to know but if people knock on a part of the boat surely you can't hold it against them?

Heard a "Hello" shouted from the bank last Sunday, and before I could pause my DVD and get up to see who it was, they had already stepped on the stern and he was peering into the cabin.

I was shocked and really put out so explained how rude it was and definitely not the done thing to do in a rather short manner.

I have always knocked at what externally appears to be the saloon/living quarters and then take a step back whilst averting my eyes. It just seems the right thing to do.

I remember going to view a show home on a new build estate.

Followed the directions , opened the front door to be greeted by a family eating their dinner on their laps.

That must be up there with my all time embarrassing balls ups.

I remember going to view a show home on a new build estate.

Followed the directions , opened the front door to be greeted by a family eating their dinner on their laps.

That must be up there with my all time embarrassing balls ups.

We have been fairly lucky with the boat and not had too many rude or ignorant people entering.

The worst has to be when we were sat in the cabin eating dinner. It had been a scorching hot day so to escape from the sun for half an hour we decided to eat in the saloon rather then in the cockpit. Mid way through our meal we were greated by the head of a young child poking through the wide open roof hatch. His father had decided to show him the inside of our boat by dangling him in by his feet.

Needless to say we were not impressed. Even more so at it should only be boat owners on the visitors pontoons at Clarence Dock mad.gif

We have been fairly lucky with the boat and not had too many rude or ignorant people entering.

The worst has to be when we were sat in the cabin eating dinner. It had been a scorching hot day so to escape from the sun for half an hour we decided to eat in the saloon rather then in the cockpit. Mid way through our meal we were greated by the head of a young child poking through the wide open roof hatch. His father had decided to show him the inside of our boat by dangling him in by his feet.

Needless to say we were not impressed. Even more so at it should only be boat owners on the visitors pontoons at Clarence Dock :angry:

At least you were eating, and not satisfying other appetites..............

The trouble with knocking is that a lot of steel boats is that you can kill your knuckles without making much (if any) noise. I tend to stand alongside and shout: "AHOY [boat name]!"

Even before I lived on board, I would not have boarded a boat without asking.

Then there was the day I was having a lay in and the boat started rocking as I heard footsteps on the roof. The language when I started the engine from inside the cabin and politely asked him if he wanted a lift to the water point as I was untying the ropes wasn't pretty. It never happened again on any boat on those moorings while I was living there for some reason.... ninja.gif

Although I'm still relatively new to boating, knocking whilst on the towpath or whatever before stepping aboard seems the natural, polite way to do things.

What other tips on etiquette whilst cruising or moored can the more experienced members offer us beginners? I would hate to offend other boaters through ignorance. (Malice aforethought is a different thing.)

Cheers,

T.

Although I'm still relatively new to boating, knocking whilst on the towpath or whatever before stepping aboard seems the natural, polite way to do things.

What other tips on etiquette whilst cruising or moored can the more experienced members offer us beginners? I would hate to offend other boaters through ignorance. (Malice aforethought is a different thing.)

Cheers,

T.

Are but do you step onboard after knocking or when invited to by the boat owner.

Non boaters tend to assume knocking on the door is the thing to do. To get to the door you usually have to stand on the boat. Not rude, not ignorant, just applying a principle that is right for millions of other occasions to a very very small minority of instances where a secret set of rules apply. Same as leaving the tap running whilst cleaning teeth, always peeing in the toilet, and having utilities delivered in pipes and wires.