The Horrors of Boating in London

Joelsanders

Featured Posts

Before I first came to London by boat, I heard all kinds of stories from boaters about why they would never come here. I remember one experienced boater warning me, "London is full of desperate people. Half the boaters there will cut your ropes to take your mooring."
Ridiculous! It's at least 70 percent.
What horror stories about boating in London have you heard?

Edited by Joelsanders

you drama queen.

I have delivered several boats either to moorings there or through London in the last two years.

I have NEVER failed to find a mooring spot, even late afternoon evening.

I have never had ropes cut, stuff nicked, etc etc

I also CC-ed round London from 2009 to 2012 - never had an issue.

Are you short of material for your shows, if so, I can make stuff up to help.

• Greenie 1

Before I first came to London by boat, I heard all kinds of stories from boaters about why they would never come here. I remember one experienced boater warning me, "London is full of desperate people. Half the boaters there will cut your ropes to take your mooring."

Ridiculous! It's at least 70 percent.

What horror stories about boating in London have you heard?

Why don't you change the record and look for some positive in life.

Moaners and angry people are two a penny.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 3

In Liverpool they don't cut your ropes the take them, only in London would they not realise the resale value of a god set of ropes

Maybe London thieves can't be bothered with ropes, because London is full of more valuable things to nick?

After all, the streets are said to be paved with gold.

TAlking London I mean Regents canal thru north and east of the capital.

Yes in places boats are moored 3/4 abreast although 4 is not common. Stopped overnight in Kings X very busy but plenty spaces as was the case a lot of the way to Limehouse. Mooring in amongst other boats is not my idea of fun, much prefer near fields BUT if you want to visit the capital then you put up with it for your visit.

Never let all the talk put you off visiting just listen and make some what if plans. Set off early each day so you are not pressured to take a mooring your not happy with.

I took Mr. Sanders' comment as a tongue-in-cheek joke rather than a negative outlook.

Your comment is evidence that you're right. You appear to be the only moaning angry person on here. Well done on still using "records" as reference point. Next time you download your thoughts to your keyboard though, try to keep on topic.

TAlking London I mean Regents canal thru north and east of the capital.

Yes in places boats are moored 3/4 abreast although 4 is not common. Stopped overnight in Kings X very busy but plenty spaces as was the case a lot of the way to Limehouse. Mooring in amongst other boats is not my idea of fun, much prefer near fields BUT if you want to visit the capital then you put up with it for your visit.

Never let all the talk put you off visiting just listen and make some what if plans. Set off early each day so you are not pressured to take a mooring your not happy with.

I'm double moored in West London atm. It does take some getting used but I can honestly say - having double moored in London many times - it's never been an issue ... and I'm very noise sensitive. People are very considerate here, for the most part.

I don't see what people's problem is with rafting up.

It seems to be that narrow-boaters make more of an issue of it than any other group of boaters.

You don't need to share your life with the boat you are moored too.

It seems to be that narrow-boaters make more of an issue of it than any other group of boaters.

Absolutely agree.

Tim

It's full of southners.

Not really, people come and go from London all the time, so there are people there from all over the country and the world.

Interestingly I read somewhere that London's population has only recently passed its previous peak reached in 1939; I guess that's because (1) the Luftwaffe destroyed so much housing that it took that long to rebuild, and (2) they're counting the postal area and the real increase has been outside London in the suburbs.

Conversely there are ex-Londoners all over the place, but a Londoner who leaves tends to go a little way out on the same side of London because it's easier to keep in touch with friends and relatives who haven't left if there isn't a time-consuming trip across town. So usually East Enders go to Essex, anyone from a SE postcode goes to Kent and so on.

People bringing boats down from Whilton have probably gone there from London, having looked in an estate agent's window and then spent a few minutes lying dazed on the (gold-paved) ground after seeing the prices.

Another greenie!

Some.. Narrow boaters, I don't give a hoot!

A recent(ish) thread on a Broads forum covering the same subject proves that is is not just narrow boaters who have problems with the concept :-)