Welcome to moor alongside signs

Theo

Featured Posts

We thought that these were available from the IWA but have not unearthed them on their on line shop. Where can I buy one? Anyone know?

N

That's good to know Ken...we'll be sure to pick up a couple this summer when we get back to the Thames :)

Thanks

But if somebody moors alongside you it will block the navigation....:icecream:

But if somebody moors alongside you it will block the navigation....icecream.gif

LOL - think we'll be ok on most places on the Thames unless it's shrunk over the winter months detective.gif

Besides; we're only a "baby wide beam" at just under 11ft - we actually feel quite slender when passing by the 14 footer's, I can only imagine how tiny a narrow boat must feel in the same conditionshuh.png

I was sent mine by GOBA the first time I joined, but was told by a denizen of the Ouse that mooring alongside was 'not done' on that river, despite GOBA's best intentions.

Why's that then?

It's not what we have been told by friends who moor that way and who we are going to see this summer huh.png

I was sent mine by GOBA the first time I joined, but was told by a denizen of the Ouse that mooring alongside was 'not done' on that river, despite GOBA's best intentions.

Never heard of that "rule", have done it numerous times and offered to others. Only fair if I'm taking up 72' of mooring.

Never heard of that "rule", have done it numerous times and offered to others. Only fair if I'm taking up 72' of mooring.

Hi

My twopenneth is that the signs should be redundant. Breasting up should be considered the norm without having to ask. Of course talking to the bankside boat as to their intentions on moving and ensuring the navigation isnt blocked should always as a matter of course be taken into account.

Tim

We've just got it printed in big letters on a sheet of A4 paper which we put up in the window with Blue Tack.

I wonder how long it will be before some antisocial person uses the same method but prefaces the sign with the word "NOT" ?

Edited by blackrose

I wonder how long it will be before some antisocial person uses the same method but prefaces the sign with the word "NOT" ?

Yes I agree........probably be one of those narrowboaters wink.png

Tim

Hi

My twopenneth is that the signs should be redundant. Breasting up should be considered the norm without having to ask. Of course talking to the bankside boat as to their intentions on moving and ensuring the navigation isnt blocked should always as a matter of course be taken into account.

Tim

I'll need to be convinced that it should be the norm. It's always courtesy to ask to go across onto another boat as you would have to breast up, that's why the signs are so useful. But as has been said, you can easily make your own. Edited by Hawthorn
  • Greenie 1

I'll need to be convinced that it should be the norm. It's always courtesy to ask to go across onto another boat as you would have to breast up, that's why the signs are so useful. But as has been said, you can easily make your own.

Why should it not be the norm?

On rivers where moorings are limited why would it not be normal to share the available and often limited mooring opportunities?

Especially if you have a larger boat which takes up a lot of space!

If I was moored up ,and someone came alongside and moored up to my boat without asking first I would assume it was an emergency, not just bad planning

, I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it, but I wouldn't kick off as I am English.

If I was moored up ,and someone came alongside and moored up to my boat without asking first I would assume it was an emergency, not just bad planning

, I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it, but I wouldn't kick off as I am English.

I dont think it is quite fair to describe this scenario as bad planning.

In an ideal world, on rivers especially where decent moorings can be very hard to find, even in the middle of nowhere, I like to start early and stop at teatime. But that is not always possible, at which point I may get out the mud anchors. But many people do need a reasonably decent mooring, for a whole variety of reasons related to access, agility, children, dogs etc, and I agree the norm should be to encourage breasting up to permit that (or stern-on for cruisers if they feel like it!). There are quite long stretches of the Ouse where if you try to moor other than on proper EA moorings you will get stuck on the mud until a passing boat pulls you off. (Don't ask).

I dont think it is quite fair to describe this scenario as bad planning.

In an ideal world, on rivers especially where decent moorings can be very hard to find, even in the middle of nowhere, I like to start early and stop at teatime. But that is not always possible, at which point I may get out the mud anchors. But many people do need a reasonably decent mooring, for a whole variety of reasons related to access, agility, children, dogs etc, and I agree the norm should be to encourage breasting up to permit that (or stern-on for cruisers if they feel like it!). There are quite long stretches of the Ouse where if you try to moor other than on proper EA moorings you will get stuck on the mud until a passing boat pulls you off. (Don't ask).

As much as we would love to moor stern on and take up even less room it often isnt possible for us, mainly because our stern drive sticks out further then the transom of the boat, but secondly because as she is quite narrow and pointy she doesn't really sit very well stern on to a mooring. It is usually easier for us to tie alongside a larger boat that is moored stern on, so that we are effectively just rafted up to them as we would be if moored side on to the bank side.

It isn't always a case of bad planning. In some places there just are not enough visitor moorings and you are expected to raft up, more so on rivers.

During the summer there is barely a weekend where we don't end up rafted up to another boat or with another boat rafted up to us.

Go to any coastal port in the summer and you will see the Yachts and Motor Cruisers all rafting out, its is considered the norm there, however when I first started on the cuts found that it was an exception rather than a rule which I found odd!

With Yachts you try to raft up to boat which is the same size or larger then you are and also, for good manners and good seamanship, you run a head and stern line ashore as well. Not only does this make the raft more stable but also aids when an inside boat needs to leave before the outside boats.

I remember one summer arriving in Weymouth after a rounding Portland Bill in less then ideal situation in company with another yacht. Getting to the quay the boats where rafted out 2 or 3 abreast, one gap which had a very nice Sunseeker by itself, fenders down and owner have a sundowner in the cockpit. We made our approach and asked if we could raft up, though warned we would be off early to catch the tide up Channel. "of course you can" was the reply, so after 20 mins or so both our boats where alongside and we started to peel off our waterproofs only for the skipper of the motor yacht to call over to say would we mind letting him out as he was only waiting for the bridge to lift to go up to the marina............

Go to any coastal port in the summer and you will see the Yachts and Motor Cruisers all rafting out, its is considered the norm there, however when I first started on the cuts found that it was an exception rather than a rule which I found odd!

With Yachts you try to raft up to boat which is the same size or larger then you are and also, for good manners and good seamanship, you run a head and stern line ashore as well. Not only does this make the raft more stable but also aids when an inside boat needs to leave before the outside boats.

I remember one summer arriving in Weymouth after a rounding Portland Bill in less then ideal situation in company with another yacht. Getting to the quay the boats where rafted out 2 or 3 abreast, one gap which had a very nice Sunseeker by itself, fenders down and owner have a sundowner in the cockpit. We made our approach and asked if we could raft up, though warned we would be off early to catch the tide up Channel. "of course you can" was the reply, so after 20 mins or so both our boats where alongside and we started to peel off our waterproofs only for the skipper of the motor yacht to call over to say would we mind letting him out as he was only waiting for the bridge to lift to go up to the marina............

We have found ourselves rafted to many different types of boats on the coast.

The one that really springs to mind was a rather nice yacht at Wells. The owners were off the boat ashore at the time so the harbour master assisted in tying us up, the shape of the two boats made this somewhat difficult but eventually we got them sitting together in something approaching a safe manner.

Happy that we were moored up we got the hose out and rinsed off the salt water before heading into town for fish and chips and a few pints. A few hours later we come back to find the yacht sat happily on her bilge keels with Naughty-Cal hanging from her side. The harbour master had forgotten the yacht dried out for most of the tide!

With a bit of shuffling of ropes we got hre back in the water but on the next tide we shifted to moor up to a more sensible match. We ended up four boats out but we stayed afloat for the whole tide rolleyes.gif