Welcome to moor alongside signs

Theo

Featured Posts

glad to see at least one of the outside boats has a line ashore......

detective.gif

... indeed so, and there were lines going the other way as well, as we were there for 24 hours from low water to low water.

This was quite tricky for the boats in the background, which were right up to the end of the pontoon, with nothing to tie onto this side of the yellow buoys to hold them in position during the flood tide.

I improvised using a centre line to the fifth boat out, which did the job. The forces on some of these lines, with a 2-3 knot tide, were quite substantial, but nothing snapped.

... indeed so, and there were lines going the other way as well, as we were there for 24 hours from low water to low water.

This was quite tricky for the boats in the background, which were right up to the end of the pontoon, with nothing to tie onto this side of the yellow buoys to hold them in position during the flood tide.

I improvised using a centre line to the fifth boat out, which did the job. The forces on some of these lines, with a 2-3 knot tide, were quite substantial, but nothing snapped.

What stopped the outside front boat from swaying around with the tide?

That one looks particually badly secured.

What stopped the outside front boat from swaying around with the tide?

That one looks particually badly secured.

That photo was taken fairly soon after we arrived, so there was scope for quite a bit more fiddling around.

What you are noticing is the effect of the flood tide. On the ebb the boat would have slid backwards a bit, until the bow line went tight.

It got rather more exciting at 0300, when two large ship tugs went past (backwards) at full speed.....

There are difficulties with a mixture of narrowboats and cruisers, as on most rivers. Access is such that my dog would find it very difficult to get ashore if I were breasted up to a cruiser, and I've always assumed I wouldn't be welcome doing so (and never have) even though Cygnet is only 27ft long.

Also, I wouldn't dream of breasting up to even another narrowboat without asking, except in places like Little Venice where it is the absolute norm, and essential.

Wish I could add the photo of the towering and enormous historic sea tjalk that we invited to moor alongside one evening in the Netherlands as there was nowhere else for them to go and no-one else had offered. We were immediately plunged in to darkness but they were so grateful that they offered us a free mooring alongside them at their home mooring in Rotterdam if we were ever that way. We very gratefully took them up on this - twice. What goes around......

There are difficulties with a mixture of narrowboats and cruisers, as on most rivers. Access is such that my dog would find it very difficult to get ashore if I were breasted up to a cruiser, and I've always assumed I wouldn't be welcome doing so (and never have) even though Cygnet is only 27ft long.

Also, I wouldn't dream of breasting up to even another narrowboat without asking, except in places like Little Venice where it is the absolute norm, and essential.

We have had a 40ft narrowboat rafted up to us with no problems. Provided you are careful with fenders and take ropes ashore there really isnt a problem.

This was perhaps the most difficult thing we have rafted up too.

10378168_758821574170486_352925940275959

What you can't see from the picture is that the sailing club had monopolised the visitor moorings for their regatta the next day. They had placed the small sail boats all along the mooring at odd spacing. So we just rafted up. Got some funny looks from the sailing club. They offered to move them in the end.

We moved off the next day well before they wanted to start their regatta so no harm done.

We have had a 40ft narrowboat rafted up to us with no problems. Provided you are careful with fenders and take ropes ashore there really isnt a problem.

This was perhaps the most difficult thing we have rafted up too.

10378168_758821574170486_352925940275959

What you can't see from the picture is that the sailing club had monopolised the visitor moorings for their regatta the next day. They had placed the small sail boats all along the mooring at odd spacing. So we just rafted up. Got some funny looks from the sailing club. They offered to move them in the end.

We moved off the next day well before they wanted to start their regatta so no harm done.

looks fine on a river with little current, but am sure with your experience you wouldn't have tempted to do it that way round on an open sea berth or harbour with any swell or tides.

If I was in your shoes would have been tempted to move that sailing dingy (an Enterprise I think) to my outboard side. In any wind that little boat would have been crushed, fenders or no fenders! :)

If I was in your shoes would have been tempted to move that sailing dingy (an Enterprise I think) to my outboard side. In any wind that little boat would have been crushed, fenders or no fenders! smile.png

I thought the dinghy was the fender ....

looks fine on a river with little current, but am sure with your experience you wouldn't have tempted to do it that way round on an open sea berth or harbour with any swell or tides.

If I was in your shoes would have been tempted to move that sailing dingy (an Enterprise I think) to my outboard side. In any wind that little boat would have been crushed, fenders or no fenders! smile.png

If you read the post you will see that the dinghies were moved on.

If you read the post you will see that the dinghies were moved on.

read that bit too ;)

Still in the first place that's what I would have done, if the club hadn't or couldn't move them when I had asked...not saying what everybody would do, just in my OWN opinion as a fellow boater and professional seafarer