First time boater, my boat Joe Gilbert.

BudgetBus

Featured Posts

After 18 months planning i moved aboard my boat on Friday, Getting to grips with life on board with my two kids. I have them half the time and my ex wife the other...school is 5 minutes away and ive moored 20 minutes from work (i work in a car body shop)

So here it is...only a few pictures as rain stopped play.

1902853_10152901883960805_44489257555958

10671310_10152900419690805_8148950124353

I have lots of work planned to fit out to my and my kids needs (and a cat & dog)

Also need to build a site to archive the history of the boat...The previous owner got it to Trinity for me on the Ashby and was accompanied by the Blacksmith that commissioned it in 2000 and worked it as a blacksmiths. It was an emotional hand over.

Im doing some boat handling next week and a boat basics run down.

Lyndon.

Looks a cracking boat, with obvious pedigree of a good builder.

If it is really only a 2000 built boat, I'm intrigued by the cabin, because it kind of looks to be wooden, but by that date I would have thought it highly unusual not to be built in steel.

I'm wondering if it is indeed steel, but constructed to look more like a wooden cabin?

I'm also guessing this boat will have a "proper" engine?

Looks great, anyway!

Looks a cracking boat, with obvious pedigree of a good builder.

If it is really only a 2000 built boat, I'm intrigued by the cabin, because it kind of looks to be wooden, but by that date I would have thought it highly unusual not to be built in steel.

I'm wondering if it is indeed steel, but constructed to look more like a wooden cabin?

I'm also guessing this boat will have a "proper" engine?

Looks great, anyway!

Engine is an air cooled Lister three cylinder.

It is a wooden cabin. Its in fantastic shape too.

It is a wooden cabin. Its in fantastic shape too.

Certainly looks so from what your pictures show.

I guess with a name like "Joe Gilbert" the wooden approach is very appropriate!

"Joe Gilbert" looks nicely different to "the norm", (whatever that is!) - enjoy her.

I remeber Denis's dulcet back country tones coming from that boat as one of the crew of President ran over the counter without asking or knocking on the cabin after they had more than just touched as President tried to come alongside ....happy memories!

Cheers

Gareth

I spoke to the original owner just after this boat was built. The owner said having worked with Joe at Charity dock he named the boat Joe Gilbert. As I recall Joe had passed away and the owner of the boat had asked Joe's wife if she was ok to have the boat named after Joe.

( not wanting to contradict Alan W Im sure I'm thinking of this boat)

What a beautiful boat it is...

I spoke to the original owner just after this boat was built. The owner said having worked with Joe at Charity dock he named the boat Joe Gilbert. As I recall Joe had passed away and the owner of the boat had asked Joe's wife if she was ok to have the boat named after Joe.

Thats as i understand the name too.

Thanks all.

Beautiful boat. Can we have an engine room pic?

All in good time, i had an issue of a mooring rope snap in the winds today, luckily my new neighbour spotted it and knocked my door. We wrestled it back closer to the pontoon and strapped the two boats together with webbing and ratcheting strap.

Strong winds, old rope and new boater nearly caused a disaster. Not helped by our marina only having half length pontoons.

New ropes ordered. New friend made.

You could be correct, with the wooden cabin it could be a give away. Yes Joe has passed away the dock is run now by son Pete, not sure if he is the son who as a 7/10 year old went by the nick name " Crip" for reasons I know not , ex coal/fuel boats owner Ivor Bachelor's wife is Joe's daughter, She may have some info.

After 18 months planning i moved aboard my boat on Friday,

I'd like to echo all the sentiments already in this thread - super looking boat, hope you and the children really enjoy life aboard.

The one item that caught my eye is the closeness of the stove to the woodwork and to possibly flammable/meltable window nets.

Over time, you may find the wood behind those tiles over the back two rings on the stove charring. Also the netting may cause issues, just when you won't need it e.g. the cooking flaring up, pan of burning oil, etc.

And sounding like a cracked record to the regulars hereabouts, I always say it's also best to have at one or more smoke and CO alarms to protect you and your family http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/fire-safety-for-boats/

Have fun and welcome

• Greenie 2

• 1 year later...

I had no idea Michael Gove was a member here!

(Edit to add: By way of explanation a new poster of that name was here earlier defacing the thread with profanities. All now deleted by them mods we love to moan about :) )

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I had no idea Michael Gove was a member here!

(Edit to add: By way of explanation a new poster of that name was here earlier defacing the thread with profanities. All now deleted by them mods we love to moan about smile.png )

aah that clears up the reference to this individual seen in another thread...dear oh dear he needs a mouthwash of soap and water