Nose/cratch stickers/transfers

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Hi all!

I find I don't know the term for that bit of a narrowboat's nose/pointy end, on which is usually a painted decorative strip or a transfer/sticker.

Here's a photo to help, it's just a random pic I found on Apollo Duck's site:

http://www.apolloduck.com/image.phtml?id=365917ℑ=1

What I mean is the circle-diamond-diamond strip. What are these strips called? What is the side they are stuck onto called?

Where can we get such transfers for ourselves, for when we paint our boat this Summer?

I have looked at three narrowboat vinyl transfer sites but haven't seen these strips advertised.

We'd be happy with a transfer.

Ours = red at front, light blue at back, white circle in middle. I'm sure I've seen the same on other boats, so it's probably a transfer that's commonly available (but from where?).

Thanks for any replies :)

Thanks Liam - ours not on their selection, though. I'll have a look now that I know the term is 'bow flash'.

If nothing else we can take a photo of ours, measure it, and have made up at a transfer firm.

Thanks Ray T - A horse walks into a bar.

The barman says: "I'll guess you've come in for two Top Bend Bow Flashes!"

I had never really thought about this before. That's my lesson for this Saturday morning. Excellent - and so quick! Thanks to both!

On my boat they are painted on rather than vinyl "stickers". Ask your painter to repaint them during the repaint.

Agreed. The shape of the top bend varies, so if you paint it you can match the shape of your boat, whereas a sticker will almost certainly look a bit of a misfit.

"Ask your painter to repaint them during the repaint."

Ha! I am the painter :) But I'm no artist. And the bow flashes look, from our photos of the boat, to have straight edges and they are fairly short so I think we can get away with transfers.

After blasting the whole boat with a steam cleaner last Summer, I painted the roof 5 times (2 undercoats, 3 topcoats + playpit sand for grip) and that looks good. I'm pretty sure I can paint the sides to an acceptable standard.

The sliding hatch has clearly been hand painted and that can be a job for my girlfriend. Here's hoping she'll also help with the preparation, gonna need lots&lots of masking tape!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the 'paint them on' posts. We had stickers here and anchor and warp handling etc soon scraped them. Paint can be touched up but plastic is very nigh impossible so we had them painted. Cost was approx the same!

Edited by GunnaDo

I agree with the 'paint them on' posts. We had stickers here and anchor and warp handling etc soon scraped them. Paint can be touched up but plastic is very nigh impossible so we had them painted. Cost was approx the same!

i agree. A certain member of this forum (matty40's) has just made a very good job of repainting the ones on our boat.

HbZtjnj.png

Edited by MJG

i agree. A certain member of this forum (matty40's) has just made a very good job of repainting the ones on our boat.

HbZtjnj.png

Cor, smart or what? But if you're selling TDH, why did you go to that trouble?

Cor, smart or what? But if you're selling TDH, why did you go to that trouble?

Cheers yes. As to why why not? That side was marked was a result of an altercation or two with a mooring pontoon and the other side was slightly marked too.

It will save the new owners the hassle and expense of getting it done.

Edited by MJG

• 4 weeks later...

I've never seen a transfer that I would be happy with on any boat of mine. A sign writer (doesn't have to be a boat sign writer) will be able to do a much better job for the same cost.

Masking Tape - don't use it if possible. If you do use it get some low tack tape and get it off within an hour, or a shorter time if possible or it will take the paint off when you remove it. Don't use it on areas that have been recently painted, the paint takes a long, long time to really dry properly. If you can, paint your boat in a paint tunnel, painting outside you're likely to get insects and anything that can be moved by the wind sticking to your newly painted areas.

I have never been a great fan of lozenges on the top bends, and prefer the more simple "Nurser" heart arrow as shown below :-

Looks really good, but why don't more boaters have 'fairlead' cleats to stop the mooring ropes rubbing?.

L.

Looks really good, but why don't more boaters have 'fairlead' cleats to stop the mooring ropes rubbing?.

L.

For reasons already expressed on the forum, I do not like cleats, but do have a set of brass rubbing strips, made up and drilled ready to instal. it is just such a tedious and boring job drilling and tapping all those holes. The Fender chains are now inside some clear PVC tubing.

For reasons already expressed on the forum, I do not like cleats, but do have a set of brass rubbing strips, made up and drilled ready to instal. it is just such a tedious and boring job drilling and tapping all those holes. The Fender chains are now inside some clear PVC tubing.

I didn't know we were both in the same club

I think we may end up painting our own bow flashes. Haven't seen for sale the same as we have, which will be painted over soon, and as the boat is having a new name anyway, new bow flashes will help to 'shrug the old coat off'. Will give my girlfriend something to do :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Illustrated History of Canal & River Navigations by E Paget-Tomlinson. ISBN 1 84306 207 0 Published by Landmark Publishing Ltd.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/279-8509168-3294857?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=1+84306+207+0

An excellent book, my copy arrived today. Thanks for the link Ray.