Safe Mobiles

mark99

Featured Posts

How do you ensure you don't lose your phone in the cut like me?

You can't ensure you do.

But I bought a £10 Nokia 106 from ASDA and a Giff Gaff PAYG SIM for when there was a risk of losing or damaging my iPhone.

So when I am out walking/steering the boat/fixing stuff outside I just set the call forward on my iPhone and stick the cheapo in my pocket so I can still recieve calls.

I can also make a call if I need to.

You can't ensure you do.

But I bought a £10 Nokia 106 from ASDA and a Giff Gaff PAYG SIM for when there was a risk of losing or damaging my iPhone.

So when I am out walking/steering the boat/fixing stuff outside I just set the call forward on my iPhone and stick the cheapo in my pocket so I can still recieve calls.

I can also make a call if I need to.

Not a bad idea -- I might do the same with my old clockwork Nokia.

Not a bad idea -- I might do the same with my old clockwork Nokia.

It works fine. Just be aware that when you forward a call it either comes out of any free call allowance you have on your contract or if the phone you are forwarding from is PAYG you pay for the call as if you had made it from that phone.

No big deal, just something to be aware of.

I keep it in a safe place and don't let it slip out of my hands during use on the boat. It helps to have a semi trad stern, I guess, even if it did drop (never dropped it yet) its unlikely to go into the canal.

Yes I thought my pocket was a 'safe place'.

Not safe when you fall in though.

I reckon It's safer to use phone boxes to make calls than playing with mobiles whilst boating. I'm convinced many accidents whilst boating are caused by them, the user not concentrating on what they're doing. It's very likely that some of the recent cillings may be attributed to them. Folk who have to stomp around willy nilly all over the shop whilst using them like ''Dom Joly'', shouting into the instrument are the biggest danger to themselves, why not just stand still or sit down whilst at it. One bloke here at our lock stomped about so much he stomped right into the lock, in the dark, he got out alright, ringing wet, but minus his phone, that still resides on the locks bottom. I've seen folk trip over around locks, over ropes crash their boats into lock gates whilst on the phone. Texting, and messing about with touchscreen apps must be the worst instruments for distraction. Ordinary making and receiving voice calls can't be so bad, at least you should be able to keep an eye on things at the same time.

I'd turn em off and leave em below and enjoy the wonders of the countryside instead, the smells, the birds twittering, fauna, squirrels ect. So as JC would say ''And on that bombshell'' GOODNIGHT . smile.png

Oh yes, I forgot. If you insist on transporting the instrument about it can be kept safely in a 1pint plastic carton with the neck cut off, string attached to dangle necklace fashion around the neck. This should eliminate bulging pockets and keep the hands free.

Edited by bizzard

They have a very useful function built in its called the answephone!! Leave the damn thing down below it ain't that important to have to be answered straight away! And IF it is that important day someone seriously I'll or pressing family matters then great suggestion above about cheap phone and call divert. Why are people so preoccupied with phones these days it's seems everything has to stop just because a phone rings!!! Will shut up now, beginning to sound like me dad:-) :-)

After dropping my phone in the canal within a few days of moving aboard I learnt a big lesson. Make sure all trouser, fleece and jacket pockets have zips and get into the habit of zipping them up. I leave the phone on the boat when we're boating - not practical all the time when you live aboard - mine went in the canal when I was stepping off the boat to go shopping.

Fortunately I haven't fallen in yet so zips work for me. Six years on and no further phone casualties.

Edited by Ange

Except that phone boxes are becoming rarer than a honest politician.

Indeed they are. Odd post boxes have also been slyly taken out too due folk posting at supermarkets. Support the street corner postbox I say.

If you mostly use it near the tiller, measure a length of 50lb mono to just above the waterline.

Tie a knot in the mono, prize open the case, insert mono with knot inside case.... Close case.

If you don't have monofilament, do the same with sticky tape.

My Dad always said to me "Son, there is nothing that sticky tape cannot fix"

We used to tell friends and family that we would have the phone switched on for an hour at lunchtime and an hour early evening. Outside those hours it would be work or "spam" calls - same thing really!

These days I leave the damn thing in the cabin. No answerphone set up. If they really want to speak to me then they can ring again later - I'm on holiday for goodness sake!

I got one of these a couple of years ago when they were sub £50.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fonerange-Rugged-128-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B00F0MRM6I

Chucked in the cut [deliberately] on a string and went down the pub.

pulled it out when back and still working.

Has done since.

Also 2 sims [but doesn't like 3sims]

Never missed a beat.

They also do a Smart one but I believe limited memory for Apps[wotever they are?]