Stolen Boat on the BCN

Odana

Featured Posts

Just received this via Brenda at the BCNS - pic is in the link. I have no connection to the story.

http://m.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/11795084.Detectives_hoping_to_build_water_tight_case_against_Black_Country_boat_thieves/

DUDLEY detectives have revealed today (Sunday) they are searching for a narrow boat.

The boat, called Nancy New, was stolen in the Netherton area.

Anyone with information should call 101 and ask for the Dudley Investigation Team.

If you lighten the picture the front panel has a broad wood band up the middle and two triangular windows. (I never get my terminology correct would you call that the cratch?)

Canal Planner only lists one Nancy New and says it is a Black Prince build.

The picture's not exactly blinding, is it! Is it an ex Black Prince boat?

The previous name of "Coral" would suggest it is not only Black Prince built (as stated), but also a former hire boat.

Nancy New Built by Black Prince - Length : 17.83 metres ( 58 feet 6 inches ) - Beam : 2.13 metres ( 7 feet ) - Draft : 0.56 ( 1 foot 10 inches ). Metal hull power of 35 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 510572 as a Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Other boat names on this licence place

Coral Built by Black Prince - Length : 17.83 metres ( 58 feet 6 inches ) - Beam : 2.13 metres ( 7 feet ) - Draft : 0.56 ( 1 foot 10 inches ). Metal hull power of 35 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 510572 as a Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Sunday 11th April 2010 )

Checking with my other half it would seem that it is likely that the photo was at BCLM since that was where we last remember seeing the boat back at the beginning of January when we were moored there. Will now keep an eye out for it whilst we are on the Dudley and Stourbridge canals and also later when we head back through Birmingham.

Has anyone ever gotten away with trying to thieve a narrow boat ?

Seems to me you would have to be thick as mince to try. I hope this one is found before its damaged.

Thick as mince? Is that a real expression? Actually I'd guess that it might just be possible for someone to get away with it, but they'd have to prepare a well thought out plan to succeed, and invest a lot of time and money in the project. The obvious problem for our hypothetical criminal is how to make a permanent getaway in a boat limited to the navigable waters that only does 4mph, especially when most boats have distinguishing features and may well be noticed as they move along, much more so that a stolen car would. I reckon their plan would have to be to target a good quality boat of a common design, find a crooked crane owner to lift it out somewhere quiet, hide it away in a big shed somewhere, give it a new paint job and an identity taken from a scrapped wreck, then sell it again a few years later and scarper before someone twigs. Basically there are going to be easier ways for a criminal with some brains to make money.

Realistically, surely when a boat gets stolen it'll be abandoned within hours a few miles away, probably minus anything that can be sold at a car boot sale, and maybe damaged or even sunk?

I'd postulate that its extremely easy to "get away with" stealing a narrowboat - by stealing one which isn't checked upon for weeks on end, and hoping that they'd notice it was gone a long time after it was stolen, by which time you'll be hundreds of miles away.

I'm not sure it'd be easy but relative to the amount of money that could be made from it, easy enough.

Has anyone ever gotten away with trying to thieve a narrow boat ?

Seems to me you would have to be thick as mince to try. I hope this one is found before its damaged.

"Thick as mince"! If you ever tasted my mother-in-law's (may she rest in peace) mince which was still runny even after the potato's were thoroughly mashed in you would know this to be a very poor metaphor

I'm still keeping a lookout for QSS when doing boat examinations.

no this is the stolen one, there are 7 altogether.

Que Sera Sera - Stolen Boat? Built by Liverpool Boats - Length : 17.68 metres ( 58 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 ( 2 feet ). Metal hull power of 35 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 511284 as a Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Sunday 11th April 2010 )

According to faceache its been found

Quote from faceache: Thank you all. Boat found about half a mile away on Old Main line. Batt isolator switch and engine isolator switch stolen. Local boatyard bringing it back to its mooring.