Visitor Moorings at Brentford

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Brentford no problems, good pub in town, The Magpie and Crown. great Sunday market and a supermarket and laundry very close. if you fancy a little more countryside then I suggest you stop at the bottom of Hanwell flight at the Fox. Ace pub and nice moorings. Always plenty of space.

first one no problem,

second one , you may have to breast up,but no problem, especally if you go round the corner onto dukes cut,

don't believe all the marina based boaters and IWA fanatics who say London is full.

It may have changed since we were there 3 weeks ago but you will have to double moor. However, we moored overnight just above the top lock where it was marked as a stop and shop mooring. Edited by pearley

It is strangely empty at the moment - The chap overseeing the winter moorings is on a boat called Flying Kipper. You wont have any problem finding a place.

especially if you go round the corner onto dukes cut,

Where is Duke's Cut then? I thought it was in Oxford?!

London is full.

London has almost always been full, that's the whole point of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_London

This says that the Romans had 60,000 people in just the square mile of the City, then it lay abandoned for a while, but by 1300 it had 80,000 in pretty much the same area, and it's been full ever since. Of course the City itself probably has less residents now because it's mostly offices, but the number there during an office day must be huge.

London has always been pretty good at finding ways of cramming more people in, breasting up of boats being just the latest example. I know from census records that in 1841 my great-great-grandfather Thomas X, then aged about 5, was sharing one room in Covent Garden with his parents and two brothers.

Yes, be careful down there, theres 2 oddballs in a "kaff" who spend their dole money on san migel only to spit it out everywhere

Apart from not being in Brentford anymore and having never claimed Benefits in my life etc..

Am I the only one who finds this constant need to err on the side of nasty boring?

apologies to the OP, I hope you enjoy your visit.

• Greenie 1

To be fair though rob your mooring in brentford was on the lovely and safe pontoons quite away from where people walk, have you ever tied up on the towpath from where you are to the next lock going up ?? A couple of years back me, my wife and 1 yr old came of the Thames and decide to tie the boat up out of the way, we was only there for about an hour and had no end of drunks youths and weirdos all coming up to the boat and gawping in. We decided to keep on going until we got to bulls bridge where it wasn't as bad, only Romanian gypsies to keep us company.

Darren

I can only speak as I found and have moored all the way along there at various times. In the 6 + years I never had an issues at all and haven't heard of boaters getting into any difficulties. It's difficult to quantify where trouble will spring up I guess but I wouldn't say that it's a particularly dangerous place to moor.

We have used the Hanwell flight mooring on 3 separate occasions without any problems and can recommend the Fox inn for dining.

Probably my favourite pub In London. Nothing like a walk down the flight and a pint on a Sunday. Happy days.

To be fair though rob your mooring in brentford was on the lovely and safe pontoons quite away from where people walk, have you ever tied up on the towpath from where you are to the next lock going up ?? A couple of years back me, my wife and 1 yr old came of the Thames and decide to tie the boat up out of the way, we was only there for about an hour and had no end of drunks youths and weirdos all coming up to the boat and gawping in. We decided to keep on going until we got to bulls bridge where it wasn't as bad, only Romanian gypsies to keep us company.

Darren

I think you just were unlucky Brentford is a very safe place. Although in this world we live in these days trouble can happen a shame but don't let that one incident cloud your thoughts of Brentford.

Trouble is available in Worcester on a random basis , you wouldn't expect it but over the years there have been a number of incidents . Some of them serious .

Trouble never gets in short supply and it's been the same since the first blobby life forms evolved sharp bits

I'm hoping to pay a visit to London some day by boat , not much chance at the moment.

Edited by madcat

Apart from not being in Brentford anymore and having never claimed Benefits in my life etc..

Move to pastures new or just up the cut? We bumped into each other on a couple of times. I see Ralph has joined the towpath, sensible ;) man and lovely feller just like your good self. So where are you these days.

Hello Mate, shifted up to Southall, got a sprog on the way so found a mooring with space. Still about the same distance from the Fox. Yes, saw Ralph the other day, I think he gave up the mooring at the same time as his retirement. Say hello if you see him next and give me a shout if you fancy a pint when your next about.