Eco fans

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

You will get answers ranging from "best thing since sliced bread" to "complete waste of money."
Personally I have a 12V desk fan which is brilliant and cost a tenner or so. Uses a wee bit of power but does shift some air.

My Eco fan is awesome, his name is Ernie. I love him more than anyone else does, apart from Stevie the Stove, who is Ernie's life partner.

/Drinking wine on a Saturday night.

Sunday morning! And you are still warm - must be a lesson there! Alcohol does not warm you!

Alan, several double whiskies and two glasses of wine, 20°C.

You will get answers ranging from "best thing since sliced bread" to "complete waste of money."

Personally I have a 12V desk fan which is brilliant and cost a tenner or so. Uses a wee bit of power but does shift some air.

You can even get both of the above answers from two people who live on the same boat with an Eco fan..."him at the back" is of the first persuasion; me, well other than keeping my feather duster busy, it's a complete waste of my time and his money opinion.

My Eco fan is awesome, his name is Ernie.

And he drove the fastest fan-blade in the west.

Watch out for two ton Ted. The size of his hot meat pies could very well turn your head.

Edited by mark99

And he drove the fastest fan-blade in the west.

Watch out for two ton Ted. The size of his hot meat pies could very well turn your head.[/size]

Hmm, Starry might also nearly swoon at 'is macaroons, too, or be tempted by the hot rolls every morning, and crumpet every night.

I've never had any experience of these things and some say they are great whilst some say they are a waste of time. What makes me sceptical is that there seems to be a little over enthusiasm in some reports. If you move heat from A to B then A gets cooler and B warms up. Ecofans it would appear can conjure up the heat to warm B without impacting the temperature at A. Also, it seems that the actual air movement is comparable to the slipstream of someone walking through the boatlaugh.png. I suppose a great deal depends on the layout of the interior and how much you really, really want it to work.

I've never had any experience of these things and some say they are great whilst some say they are a waste of time. What makes me sceptical is that there seems to be a little over enthusiasm in some reports. If you move heat from A to B then A gets cooler and B warms up. Ecofans it would appear can conjure up the heat to warm B without impacting the temperature at A. Also, it seems that the actual air movement is comparable to the slipstream of someone walking through the boat:lol:. I suppose a great deal depends on the layout of the interior and how much you really, really want it to work.

I've never had any experience of these things and some say they are great whilst some say they are a waste of time. What makes me sceptical is that there seems to be a little over enthusiasm in some reports. If you move heat from A to B then A gets cooler and B warms up. Ecofans it would appear can conjure up the heat to warm B without impacting the temperature at A. Also, it seems that the actual air movement is comparable to the slipstream of someone walking through the boat:lol:. I suppose a great deal depends on the layout of the interior and how much you really, really want it to work.

No magic involved,all the fan does is break up the convection current set up by the stove which causes heat to stay in that area, the fan is able to then assist the hot air away from the stove and allows cooler air to take it's place. The fans can and do get a bit of pace on, sufficient in my boat to cause the curtains 2 metres away to flap.

I've checked the temps at both ends of my boat (60 ft) and there is a gradient of 10 degs which works fine for us. (2 OAP,s)

Phil

I can't believe this is still going on! I was asking about this 3 weeks ago. Finally I decided we'd do without, money invested in coal better. But then I upped the price on an Ecofan (Caframo) on Ebay by 2 quid and suddenly no-one else bidded and I was shocked and surprised to win it!

So, we'll give it a go!

If we get the stove hot enough, perhaps it'll push us forwards like a hovercraft and we'll save on diesel for the engine....?

"Drinking wine on a Saturday night" - which has turned into Sunday afternoon, if u hadn't noticed...

"Some of the heat from A is redistributed before it goes up C, the chimney." - good 'un that.

Edited by Emerald Fox

This question has been thrashed out in the past on the forum. Think there was a vote once on the subject.

The question falls into the category of whether you like Marmite or not. Opinion is divided on this subject. As is the benefits of an Eco fan. If you like it eat it, Marmite not the fan.

Stevie stove is bang in the middle of the boat. Turning Ernie towards the bedroom noticably warms it by a couple of degrees. If I get too hot in the night, I turn it towards the other end of the boat.

Also as MtB says, one of the best things about them is that you can tell what the stove is doing just by glancing at them. I can hang out the side of my bed to check by how lively Ernie is whether or not the stove is still good, or if I need to get up to add coal. Even if I didn't find it effective at circulating air to the bedroom, it would be worth it for this alone!

Edited by Starcoaster

Also as MtB says, one of the best things about them is that you can tell what the stove is doing just by glancing at them.

You don't even have to look at the stove to know what it's doing.

You know from the sound of the Ecofan - without even having to glance up from posting on CWF.

:)

MtB