Going to London.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

Now personally, I can't stand the place but my ever-supportive girlfriend wants our next long trip to be to central London, and to stay for a couple of days to see the sights (She spent most of her early life abroad and has never had a good look around London).

I gather that London has a bit of a problem with boat overcrowding, so I really just need to know if it will be possible to find a 48 hour visitor mooring somewhere in the central area, where it would be safe to leave the boat during the day, and of course if there are any other hints, tips or cheats about visiting London.

Last time we went we found a mooring in the Paddington Arm, for seven days. Right next to the railway station.

The only problem was the commuters in the morning and evening dragging there small suitcases over the cobbles.

Apparently now it is de-rigour to have one instead of of a briefcase.

Limehouse is handy for seeing London. 24h free moorings in the marina on the public footpath 'wall'. This is enforced by the marina operator BWML who WILL come and charge you if you stay longer. However there may be space round the corner on Limehouse Cut which is alright. I would say that I live here :lol:

The main reason I say Limehouse is you have DLR to the city, or the canary wharf clipper pier where you can get boats inbound to embankment, london eye etc, or outbound to Greenwich maritime museum or the Millenium dome etc. If its a nice day its really not a long walk up to tower bridge along the Thames path past wapping, and there are some very old pubs along the way if that's your thing :)

Last time we went we found a mooring in the Paddington Arm, for seven days. Right next to the railway station.

The only problem was the commuters in the morning and evening dragging there small suitcases over the cobbles.

Apparently now it is de-rigour to have one instead of of a briefcase.

smiley_offtopic.gif They've banned them in Big Venice, for that very reason.

Back on topic, I would have thought that SS would find a spot somewhere at this time of year.

smiley_offtopic.gif They've banned them in Big Venice, for that very reason.

Back on topic, I would have thought that SS would find a spot somewhere at this time of year.

Ah no, this will be in the first two weeks of July 2015, I'm planning on spending July-October cruising, then going back to work for 6 months, after which I'll spend 6 months a year in Summer on the boat and 6 months a year in Winter at work. I can't afford to retire and live aboard all year round yet, although I will eventually do that.

Also, on the trip down (from Rugby) are there any "must-see" places? We won't be in any rush, Canalplanner AC reckons it will take 8-9 days but it really doesn't matter if we lose time on the way down.

SS - not sure if you've used Canalplanner much or not, if not; make sure you set up the preferences to your boat, including lock times, average traveling speed etc.

Keep in mind, traveling during the summer is somewhat slower than this time of year. If your anything like us, you'll get held up at locks chatting with folks, waiting for locks, and there seems to be many more moored boats along the canals you need to slow down for during the summer months.

Assuming your coming down the GU, if your first trip down is anything like ours, plan in a little extra time for empty pounds, and poorly working lock gates &/or paddles...not many, but I would say it cost us the better part of a day in total on the trip down.

With that said, the GU has loads to offer in things to see along the way, and IMO is a lovely canal to cruise for it's flora, fauna & wildlife and views of open country side.

Have a great trip

Limehouse is handy for seeing London. 24h free moorings in the marina on the public footpath 'wall'. This is enforced by the marina operator BWML who WILL come and charge you if you stay longer.

Slightly smiley_offtopic.gif however.....

I was in London the other week and took a look at Limehouse Basin, the moorings, river etc. like you do.

On the north side I noticed a squarish, U shaped pontoon with no access to the dockside. I think it had a 'private no mooring' sign on it.

Anyone know what the story about that is?

:smiley_offtopic: They've banned them in Big Venice, for that very reason.

I doubt it. Most of it is sold off as winter moorings. We found a space for a week early November but only because the person who bought it as a winter mooring wasn't arriving until 1st December.

I would aim to spend the first night at Kensal Green so as to arrive at Paddington around 10.30 when you might then find a space. Once you are moored it is 7 days. Paddington to Limehouse if you want to overnight then either pay at the Canal Museum or double or treble moor.

I can't say about Limehouse. When last there 5 years ago there was plenty of space in the cut but things have changed now. I'll know more in a week or so when we get there.

The unused pontoons in Limehouse basin are leftovers from the Olympics when the Water Chariots were running from there. Some of them have been converted to commercial or residential moorings but that squarish triangular bit in the little inlet by the dentist is not really used. I was told they were converting it to residential for the ££ but nothing so far.

Now personally, I can't stand the place but my ever-supportive girlfriend wants our next long trip to be to central London, and to stay for a couple of days to see the sights (She spent most of her early life abroad and has never had a good look around London).

Dunno whether the bookable moorings will be up and running at Little Venice?

I've lived and worked around London all my 55 years and still have not scratched the surface of it regarding visiting all the interesting facets of it.

Edited by mark99

Where as I spent the first 40 years of my life trying to escape from the place, which I did 29 years ago.(Hurrah)

Phil

Don't get me wrong - if you have to commute into London every day and cannot afford to enjoy it's better features it's like any big city - stressful. If you can exist on the edge or a in affluent portion of it and go in/out at your choosing and "use" London taking time to enjoy it's features rather than it "use" you, it's a different experience.

Note - where are you now located that's better? and why?

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

Where as I spent the first 40 years of my life trying to escape from the place, which I did 29 years ago.(Hurrah)

Phil

Well yes, I know where you are coming from, I am originally from London myself and would be quite happy if I never set foot in the place again. But my girlfriend grew up in Iraq and Kuwait (her father was the captain of one of those oil tankers that take seven miles to stop) and she really wants to go to London as she's never seen the sights.

Personally I'd sooner go to Llangollen but she has been so supportive of the idea of buying a narrowboat, she's lent me money, she puts her back out operating the locks etc etc etc that I really feel it would be a bit mean-spirited to say "no".

Sorry, London is full. As much as we would like you to visit we feel that your skills are needed closer to home. Given that you haven't contributed to our economy you will surely understand that we are unable to support everyone who chooses to visit without good cause.

Mind you don't get stuck in London and never come out the other side laugh.png

a lot of people do

It is effectively a seperate country really, at some point the government will realise this and introduce border control rolleyes.gif

Edited by magnetman

If ever there was a topic covering a big subject, this is it. There is a lot of London, and a lot of it is very famous, so "a couple of days to see the sights" could turn into a bit of a rush. I guess you need to work out what most interests her and plan to get round that.

Some of the stereotypes are true; there's vast wealth and some poverty, it's mostly crowded and noisy and people tend to avoid starting a conversation with strangers. Remember they're probably not being rude, that's just how things are.

To understand London fully she should walk south across the pavement on the east side of London Bridge at about 9am on a weekday; that should get her interested in going to Llangollen.

I wonder why everyone here is so negative about London. I've been there loads of times (including driving buses Hertford - Oxford Street Green Line 735). Although it's my 'local town' (coming from the Stort valley) we have been playing with the idea of having a week's holiday in London so we can get to know it more.

A few years ago I had to meet my brother and had a couple of spare hours and walked from Liverpool Street to somewhere like Trafalgar Square, along roads/streets unknown to me. There's so much to see and do. A good way to see London is, say, choose 50 pubs and visit each of them, walking/bus/Underground.

I've given a few quick tours to people who have never been there and my plan has been something like this:

Bus 29 from Liverpool Street to Trafalgar Square (sit upstairs front window), walk to Big Ben and walk over Westminster Bridge and past the Eye. Go up the Monument, walk past the Tower and over Tower Bridge. Go to Picadilly Circus, walk along Oxford Street. BHS near Oxford Circus Underground station is good for English Breakfasts and lunches.

The National Portrait Gallery & National Gallery at Trafalgar Square are free.

Walk around St.Paul's Cathedral; I refuse to go in these days as they demand something like 15 Pounds - very 'Christian' - only the rich get to get into church.

Like pubs, how about selecting 10 churches in different areas so you get to travel and see more of London?

London has its murky/dirty sides it's true.

After a day in London blow your nose into a white tissue and see the black come out!

The dust you see in the headlights as an Underground train approaches in the tunnel is years of scales of human skin :)

Something I'd like to do sometime is sit on Underground trains for a week and visit every station!

Catch a cheap plane to Amsterdam/Stockholm - when they come in they usually fly south of the river and you get a good view of the centre of London.

Another idea would be to walk along the river and cross every bridge, all the way from Tower Bridge to somewhere upstream - Kew?

• Greenie 1

I wonder why everyone here is so negative about London. I've been there loads of times (including driving buses Hertford - Oxford Street Green Line 735). Although it's my 'local town' (coming from the Stort valley) we have been playing with the idea of having a week's holiday in London so we can get to know it more.

A few years ago I had to meet my brother and had a couple of spare hours and walked from Liverpool Street to somewhere like Trafalgar Square, along roads/streets unknown to me. There's so much to see and do. A good way to see London is, say, choose 50 pubs and visit each of them, walking/bus/Underground.

I've given a few quick tours to people who have never been there and my plan has been something like this:

Bus 29 from Liverpool Street to Trafalgar Square (sit upstairs front window), walk to Big Ben and walk over Westminster Bridge and past the Eye. Go up the Monument, walk past the Tower and over Tower Bridge. Go to Picadilly Circus, walk along Oxford Street. BHS near Oxford Circus Underground station is good for English Breakfasts and lunches.

The National Portrait Gallery & National Gallery at Trafalgar Square are free.

Walk around St.Paul's Cathedral; I refuse to go in these days as they demand something like 15 Pounds - very 'Christian' - only the rich get to get into church.

Like pubs, how about selecting 10 churches in different areas so you get to travel and see more of London?

London has its murky/dirty sides it's true.

After a day in London blow your nose into a white tissue and see the black come out!

The dust you see in the headlights as an Underground train approaches in the tunnel is years of scales of human skin smile.png

Something I'd like to do sometime is sit on Underground trains for a week and visit every station!

Catch a cheap plane to Amsterdam/Stockholm - when they come in they usually fly south of the river and you get a good view of the centre of London.

Another idea would be to walk along the river and cross every bridge, all the way from Tower Bridge to somewhere upstream - Kew?

Did that several years in a row when at school about 45 yrs ago. It was an organised charity event pre London Marathon. Took about 7hrs hard walking.