An `interesting' viewing.

jenberi

Featured Posts

I think ive just twigged what boat this is. Is it the one that has been saturating my facebook feed for the last few weeks, for sale by somebody called 'Loretta Dotty Jones'? Looks like it has some sort of under cloths conversion judging by the interior pictures. They are advertising it as 'an ex working boat' iirc.

and contact Terry for photos

The most obvious characteristic of a Springer is the "moustache" on the bow - the vertical plates painted white and edged in red in this example:

13734_-_photo_0_img.jpg

Not All Springers have the characteristic Moustache, mt friends Springer "Jessie" did not have one, and it looked much nicer as a consequence.

I cannot get the page to copy so here is a link:- http://narrowboatshop.co.uk/showdetails.asp?Boat_ID=123#.VHSwameftac

Edited by David Schweizer

I have just seen an advert on Gumtree (apparently also in Friday-Ad) for a tidy-looking 34-foot Springer at £7,400. Again this could be a bit too good to be true, but there is a telephone number given to ring the seller. Advert says mid-1970s, but it looks like a post-1982 model to me. It could be the sort of thing you're looking for.

It is more typical of a Springer than the one you viewed!

If that boat is/was a Springer it has been modified out of all recognition, nothing you can see in the photos suggests it's one of Sam's vessels.

To add to the mystery, Springers that appear in the listings as "15HP" are almost always outboard powered, I'll wager this boat was too, originally.

Thats the one :) It looks very nice in the pics, but as a few people have pointed out I dont know the difference between `disuse damp' and `leaking damp' . The room I rent is rather damp, made more so by having to dry my washing in it an not a lot of heating. the boat was damper, considerably so, however it is a steel tube with the bottom half sealed at the ends sitting on the water that no-one has lived in for ages. The lack of paper work also concerned me although someone from the marina p.m'd me that as far as they were aware the story was true and hence he should have the paperwork, why he didnt have it when I went to look round I have no idea.

If that boat is/was a Springer it has been modified out of all recognition, nothing you can see in the photos suggests it's one of Sam's vessels.

To add to the mystery, Springers that appear in the listings as "15HP" are almost always outboard powered, I'll wager this boat was too, originally.

so does that mean I am pardoned somewhat for my description of triangular living bits and not knowing it was a springer, if it isnt? (we shall ignore I also may have not known it was if it was rolleyes.gif ) Any ideas what it is?

I have just seen an advert on Gumtree (apparently also in Friday-Ad) for a tidy-looking 34-foot Springer at £7,400. Again this could be a bit too good to be true, but there is a telephone number given to ring the seller. Advert says mid-1970s, but it looks like a post-1982 model to me. It could be the sort of thing you're looking for.

It is more typical of a Springer than the one you viewed!

can only find this one ? http://www.gumtree.com/p/other-miscellaneous-goods/narrow-boat/1089433798 but it seems pointier than a springer and un moustached (an claims its a trad boat)

Edited by jenberi

so does that mean I am pardoned somewhat for my description of triangular living bits and not knowing it was a springer, if it isnt? (we shall ignore I also may have not known it was if it was rolleyes.gif ) Any ideas what it is?

It probably was a Springer, whether it still is could be an interesting philosophical discussion... You've heard of "Trigger's broom"?

There was a phase when Springers were almost a dirty word on the cut and owners would "shave" off the distinctive splash guards (the "moustache") to disguise the boat. I've seen all manner of other modifications but there's usually a few give away signs, eg the cockpit design, the roof line, the side decks. The boat in question seems to have obliterated all these.

Seeing it out of the water would give the game away, Springer hulls are generally very recognisable. If it doesn't have a typical Springer hull I think we can safely say it isn't a Springer any more.

The rear deck, flat and semicircular, does look like Springers from 1983 onwards, but everything else looks pretty non-standard. It does not look like the kind of stern which would easily lend itself to outboard propulsion - weren't Lister SR and ST 2's about 15 h.p?

That's no Springer, but then it doesn't claim to be. I suspect that is not the Gumtree ad Athy was referring to.

You're quite correct, though it is perhaps a boat which the OP might consider. The advert to which I refer can be found if you enter "Friday Ad Narrowboat" into your search engine. It is a 34-footer, quite pleasingly finished in cream and reddish-brown. What horrors lie beneath the paintwork at that price, who knows?

The rear deck, flat and semicircular, does look like Springers from 1983 onwards, but everything else looks pretty non-standard. It does not look like the kind of stern which would easily lend itself to outboard propulsion - weren't Lister SR and ST 2's about 15 h.p?

You're quite correct, though it is perhaps a boat which the OP might consider. The advert to which I refer can be found if you enter "Friday Ad Narrowboat" into your search engine. It is a 34-footer, quite pleasingly finished in cream and reddish-brown. What horrors lie beneath the paintwork at that price, who knows?

This one? http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/melksham/boats-and-outboards-for-sale/house-boats/springer-34ft-YI439A413

• Greenie 1

Yes indeed, thank you Mr. Technician Neil! Some day I must learn how to do that trick.

She's more recent than the advert (which reckons mid-1970s) suggests too. That design did not come out until 1983.