CRT "Functional Location" Codes (like GU-164-003, for example).

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Interesting, my mooring is between bridges 64 & 65 on the Coventry. Assets CC-039-005 & CC-040-001 according to the spreadsheet. However my mooring licence says CC-039-015-01.

Must be more assets between the two bridges than the eye can see! (Two bridges and a milestone).

Clearly the CC-039 in your licence code means you're in the 39th kilometre of the Coventry, then beyond that the 015-01 appears to have nothing to do with the asset numbering. My guess (an educated one because I'm an IT expert) would be that the 015 refers to a group of moorings and the 01 identifies yours as the first in that group.

Clearly the CC-039 in your licence code means you're in the 39th kilometre of the Coventry, then beyond that the 015-01 appears to have nothing to do with the asset numbering. My guess (an educated one because I'm an IT expert) would be that the 015 refers to a group of moorings and the 01 identifies yours as the first in that group.

015 is a mooring site

01 is (typically) a variant set of conditions at a site

So we come out of the EU maybe will CRT then revert back to miles which they or BW should never have changed from .

Maybe we could have nautical miles .

I wonder what was wrong with using bridge names or numbers that already existed

They didn't for me.

I have been sent the movements for both boats, but they are solely in the coded form. They have not sent me the translation table.

I thought they did normally send the translation table, and hence I assumed someone might have made it public, hence asking on here.

Probably just an oversight by CRT when my request was processed, so I have now asked again.

Alan, if you get the information, I would be pleased if you pass it along to me or let me know from where, or who, I can get it from.

I would also be very interested in the conversion table from Long/Lat coordinates to these codes.

I have had an answer that seems slightly bonkers, because, as has already been stated, I know other people requesting sighting data have automatically also been sent the spreadsheet that translates Functional Location codes into real places.

So I can't explain the following answer.....

Good afternoon Alan,

Thank you for your e-mail.

You are, of course, correct these codes are the “functional Locations” of the places your boat has been sighted. I’m afraid that there aren’t really any direct translations to locations you may recognise – particularly where the location isn’t a structure (bridge, lock, mooring site etc.) but is simply a kilometre length of the navigation.

So, a (very clever) colleague of mine has produced two maps for you which show the locations of these sightings. I hope they’re clear and that you can open them easily.

If you have any trouble, or further queries, do let me know.

Kindest regards,

Goodness knows how much effort has gone into producing the two maps sent to me - I was keen to avoid them having to do more than minimal work to provide me with what I was after.

As Allan has hopefully provided a version of what they have sent other people, I don't think I'll waste more CRT time going back and trying again.

It seems odd that two customers asking for broadly the same exercise have had it handled by CRT in two quite different ways - particularly as it is the same CRT person actually mailing out the response in both cases.

Alan, if you get the information, I would be pleased if you pass it along to me or let me know from where, or who, I can get it from.

I would also be very interested in the conversion table from Long/Lat coordinates to these codes.

See Allan Richards' posting!.....

I have had an answer that seems slightly bonkers, because, as has already been stated, I know other people requesting sighting data have automatically also been sent the spreadsheet that translates Functional Location codes into real places.

So I can't explain the following answer.....

Goodness knows how much effort has gone into producing the two maps sent to me - I was keen to avoid them having to do more than minimal work to provide me with what I was after.

As Allan has hopefully provided a version of what they have sent other people, I don't think I'll waste more CRT time going back and trying again.

It seems odd that two customers asking for broadly the same exercise have had it handled by CRT in two quite different ways - particularly as it is the same CRT person actually mailing out the response in both cases.

See Allan Richards' posting!.....

Damien or Mathew Symmonds?

This information might help as it has the codes of where I`ve been sighted but also give on some lines an exact location.

For instance Gu-187-007 is also shown as Bridge 168a (railway). On the Grand Union.

It is not recent but it came from Sarina Young, customer service co-ordinator at Newark office.

Hope it helps

No.

Sarina Young?

***** Edited to add that what I provided is not what CaRT have sent other people but information taken from the old BW website 5-6 years ago by a web crawler I had developed. The BW spreadsheet had info not relevant to Alan's request (i.e. several more columns) which I removed.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)
  • Greenie 1

Here is a list of the 'Functional Lsssssoscations of BW/CaRT's 10,000 principal assets.

It is 5-6 years old so there might be some changes.

(One very minor point - seems that -000- does not exist anywhere in the spreadsheet which indicates that -001- represents the waterway between zero and one km from datum (i.e. the point on the canal or river that is used as a start point for measurement).

Thank you, filed for future reference. BW/CRT once claimed that I had only moved by 1km when I believed I had moved to a 'different place' and more than a mile.

Sarina Young?

***** Edited to add that what I provided is not what CaRT have sent other people but information taken from the old BW website 5-6 years ago by a web crawler I had developed. The BW spreadsheet had info not relevant to Alan's request (i.e. several more columns) which I removed.

Sarina Young is the name of the sender. Sorry if you have not heard of her but as the docs show it was way back. Edited by valrene9600

Sarina Young is the name of the sender. Sorry if you have not heard of her but as the docs show it was way back.

We are at cross purposes!

I was guessing the name of the person that had emailed Alan Fincher (Jenlyn had previously suggested Damian Kemp or Mathew Symmonds and Alan had said 'No').

As for not having heard of her -

My Trip Out

As for not having heard of her -

My Trip Out

I never quite know in the role she has how much Sarina is just there to act as the messenger, and she apperas as the originator of a message that someone else has composed. (That isn't meant to sound negative, but somehow manages to!....)

There seems to me to be a strange irony that Sarina had her "trip out" with you - I guess she gets to communicate with you a fair bit more than many of us!

I never quite know in the role she has how much Sarina is just there to act as the messenger, and she apperas as the originator of a message that someone else has composed. (That isn't meant to sound negative, but somehow manages to!....)

There seems to me to be a strange irony that Sarina had her "trip out" with you - I guess she gets to communicate with you a fair bit more than many of us!

Sarina is just one of twelve CaRT staff that I have taken boating as part of John Sloan's 'Boating Buddies' initiative.

With regard to Sarina just acting as a messenger for others, I'm afraid that under CaRT that is true. I am generalising a bit (because the change has been a gradual process) but under BW, if you asked for information, you would get a reply from the relevant manager. If you were not happy (and asked for a review of the response) you would get a reply from an executive director.

Under CaRT you get two responses from Sarina.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

BW/CRT once claimed that I had only moved by 1km when I believed I had moved to a 'different place' and more than a mile.

If you had moved from near the beginning of one 1 km section to near the end of the next 1 km section you would have travelled more than a mile, but might well be shown as 1 km from your start point.

Sarina is just one of twelve CaRT staff that I have taken boating as part of John Sloan's 'Boating Buddies' initiative.

With regard to Sarina just acting as a messenger for others, I'm afraid that under CaRT that is true. I am generalising a bit (because the change has been a gradual process) but under BW, if you asked for information, you would get a reply from the relevant manager. If you were not happy (and asked for a review of the response) you would get a reply from an executive director.

Under CaRT you get two responses from Sarina.

only 12 Allan you are slacking again!!

only 12 Allan you are slacking again!!

Sorry John but I got a bit disheartened when CaRT claimed that 'Boating Buddies' was their initiative rather than yours. This may have contributed to the low number.

I promise to do better next year!

I have offered to take out VLK's in my area next year so that they can have an 'on the boat' locking experience.

Perhaps other 'Boating Buddies' might consider making a similar offer.