CRT "Functional Location" Codes (like GU-164-003, for example).

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I'm sure I have seen an answer to this before, but can't find it......

Is there a publicly available list that translates the "Functional Location codes that CRT use into actual physical locations on a canal.

So for example if I have GU-164-003 I could look it up and see that translates to Grand Union South - Cow Roast Marina.

I kind of remember someone linking to such a list, but have failed to turn it up.

If it is not available, has anybody actually tried asking BW / CRT for a copy of it, and, if so, what did they say, please?

I'm sure I have seen an answer to this before, but can't find it......

Is there a publicly available list that translates the "Functional Location codes that CRT use into actual physical locations on a canal.

So for example if I have GU-164-003 I could look it up and see that translates to Grand Union South - Cow Roast Marina.

I kind of remember someone linking to such a list, but have failed to turn it up.

If it is not available, has anybody actually tried asking BW / CRT for a copy of it, and, if so, what did they say, please?

That is between bridges 136 and 137 on the GU

Oh and yes I do have a location break down from CRT they are issued when volunteering to enable to find the location for volunteering

I should add that I am reading on my phone so a little difficult to give you exact location my eyes not good enough hehe

All I can remember is that the last 3 digits are the distance in Km from the 'asset'

So in your example the location is 3Km from asset GU-164

I don't think that's correct, from memory.....

The kilometers is I believe the middle bit, (probably to nearest kilometer).

So I actually believe GU-164-003 is at a location 164 Km down the GU, (presumably from its start in Birmingham), and this is (probably!) the third asset to be recorded that is within that kilometer length.

So it is possible to make a stab at it, but a full list would be easier.

I do actually have this, in connection with volunteering in the South East region, but it only covers the South East region - I'm trying to find it for the whole country

All I can remember is that the last 3 digits are the distance in Km from the 'asset'

So in your example the location is 3Km from asset GU-164

Not so!

GU-164 is the 1km length of the Grand Union Canal that lies between 164 and 165 km from the zero point on that canal.

GU-164-003 is location number 3 within that length (the locations are not necessarily numbered sequentially, so you can't determine haw far through the km they are)

I did ask for information on this subject as it would be nice to align CruisingLog with CaRT's way of recording location co-ordinates. They did not reply.

Thanks,

As nobody that has replied so far seems to know if it is actually publicly available, I'll try asking them myself.

They are in Km on the Fossdyke and Witham

Also Km on the Trent.

Both the Fossdyke & Witham and the River Trent are shown in the latest edition of Nicholson with the Km posts marked on the mapping - which is very helpful for establishing one's location on what can be two fairly featureless waterways for anyone unfamiliar with these navigations.

Not so!

GU-164 is the 1km length of the Grand Union Canal that lies between 164 and 165 km from the zero point on that canal.

GU-164-003 is location number 3 within that length (the locations are not necessarily numbered sequentially, so you can't determine haw far through the km they are)

Many thanks - mistake - I had it the wrong way around

Also Km on the Trent.

Both the Fossdyke & Witham and the River Trent are shown in the latest edition of Nicholson with the Km posts marked on the mapping - which is very helpful for establishing one's location on what can be two fairly featureless waterways for anyone unfamiliar with these navigations.

Not sure what the latest dated Nicholsons is but on my copy the "mile posts" are in miles spacing, whilst the posts them selves are in Km spacing.

On the Trent, as you get further away from Nottingham the error is compounded and the 'mile posts' are actually nowhere near where they are shown in the guide.

amazed you have not done that as it is publicly available and comes on Excel Spread Sheet maybe they should put it on their website

I try not to waste their time asking for stuff if someone already knows.

However I note that a forum member says that a request for it was not answered.

I did ask for information on this subject as it would be nice to align CruisingLog with CaRT's way of recording location co-ordinates. They did not reply.

So why do they use Km when all the marker posts are in miles. Numpties I guess.

Probably for compatibility with software and other transport systems. The motorway network is marked out in km: haven't you seen the blue signs?

The 'chainage' for road works is in metric units rather than chains (which would be 80 to the mile) so I suspect CRT can use elements of that system.

On the Trent, as you get further away from Nottingham the error is compounded and the 'mile posts' are actually nowhere near where they are shown in the guide.

On many navigations, canals included, the mile markers in Nicholson's are not particularly accurate mile distances.

I think they are just Nicholson's best attempt at gauging mile spacings.

Certainly on many canals they do not coincide with aactual mile posts, nor do I think they are probably intended to.

They offer the code's to you when you ask for the log movements of your boat.

They didn't for me.

I have been sent the movements for both boats, but they are solely in the coded form. They have not sent me the translation table.

I thought they did normally send the translation table, and hence I assumed someone might have made it public, hence asking on here.

Probably just an oversight by CRT when my request was processed, so I have now asked again.

Many thanks - mistake - I had it the wrong way around

Not sure what the latest dated Nicholsons is but on my copy the "mile posts" are in miles spacing, whilst the posts them selves are in Km spacing.

I was referring to the 2014 edition of Nicholson Guide 6 - Nottingham, York & the North East - in which the numbered Km posts are shown as per their position on the bank. I found them a great help when determining exactly where I was on the Trent and I imagine they could be an important feature in the event of an emergency.

I believe that the mile markers on the mapping throughout all the guides are merely there as a planning aid for lock/mile calculations and the like

What we are discussing is the SAP system that CRT introduced years ago for internal use. I have seen it used in meetings with CRT and the amount of detail recorded is impressive.

Using it to provide volunteers with information about jobs to be done and boat owners with logs of their movement is probably not a purpose for which the system was designed. Perhaps it's time to update the software so that the reports it spits out are comprehensible to everyone.

They didn't for me.

I have been sent the movements for both boats, but they are solely in the coded form. They have not sent me the translation table.

I thought they did normally send the translation table, and hence I assumed someone might have made it public, hence asking on here.

Probably just an oversight by CRT when my request was processed, so I have now asked again.

Here is a list of the 'Functional Locations of BW/CaRT's 10,000 principal assets.

It is 5-6 years old so there might be some changes.

(One very minor point - seems that -000- does not exist anywhere in the spreadsheet which indicates that -001- represents the waterway between zero and one km from datum (i.e. the point on the canal or river that is used as a start point for measurement).

• Greenie 1

Here is a list of the 'Functional Locations of BW/CaRT's 10,000 principal assets.

It is 5-6 years old so there might be some changes.

(One very minor point - seems that -000- does not exist anywhere in the spreadsheet which indicates that -001- represents the waterway between zero and one km from datum (i.e. the point on the canal or river that is used as a start point for measurement).

Some interesting inconsistencies!

1) All X_ Y_ and Z_ codes are reservoirs etc, but there are reservoirs elsewhere in the coding

2) BW is clearly a pseudo code (from its use as a code for CCers, but there are some linear structures coded using it)

3) Inconsistent coding of branches (OH for the branch from Isis Lock to Hythe Bridge, but Hall Green Branch is coded as MA)

Interesting, my mooring is between bridges 64 & 65 on the Coventry. Assets CC-039-005 & CC-040-001 according to the spreadsheet. However my mooring licence says CC-039-015-01.

Must be more assets between the two bridges than the eye can see! (Two bridges and a milestone).

Some interesting inconsistencies!

1) All X_ Y_ and Z_ codes are reservoirs etc, but there are reservoirs elsewhere in the coding

2) BW is clearly a pseudo code (from its use as a code for CCers, but there are some linear structures coded using it)

3) Inconsistent coding of branches (OH for the branch from Isis Lock to Hythe Bridge, but Hall Green Branch is coded as MA)

Crxp input, Crxp output..... eh?

Interesting, my mooring is between bridges 64 & 65 on the Coventry. Assets CC-039-005 & CC-040-001 according to the spreadsheet. However my mooring licence says CC-039-015-01.

Must be more assets between the two bridges than the eye can see! (Two bridges and a milestone).

As stated, that is a list of 10,000 principal assets.

BW/CaRT also have non principal assets which are not on the list

The other thing to remember is that assets are not numbered sequentially within a km length of canal and there may be gaps in the numbering anyway.