Advantages Of A Short Boat

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Our son David has finally (months after the event) made available a couple of videos taken at the Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering in August.

180 degree turn.....

(A certain forum member's reaction to me winding the Klaxon near the end still has me chuckling).

(Almost!) 360 degree turn.....

(At a vital moment, I suffered a bit of nerves, so went for a bit of caution - I know how to do it next time now, though!)

Edited by alan_fincher

Not bad, I reckon you could do it a bit quicker though, but at least you didn't hit Swift. Mastering the 360 is great when people are watching, I have to spin round outside RW Davis yard on the G&S to go in to Saul marina and now have it down to a fine art with plenty of speed to give the gongoozlers a show.

Not bad, I reckon you could do it a bit quicker though, but at least you didn't hit Swift. Mastering the 360 is great when people are watching, I have to spin round outside RW Davis yard on the G&S to go in to Saul marina and now have it down to a fine art with plenty of speed to give the gongoozlers a show.

To be fair, the 360 degree one was never in the plan.

We were just moving up to leave, and I let myself be goaded into a quick once around by Chris at the last minute.

I didn't make best use of the masses of space available, but even so I think I would have cleared the moored boat had I just followed through. It is easy to see that now, but not quite as easy when you are doing it, in the rain, and it could have started better!

I didn't want to in any way risk hitting another boat, (although had it been "Reginald" moored there, I would, of course, probably have just gone for it!).

As a spectator, Sickle's turn was by far the best

Richard

I enjoyed Boss Man Burge's, where he just cheerfully rammed the bank, put the helm over and let the boat turn itself round. I guess the boat moored across the winding hole must have gone by then.

For sheer skill, the two boats which turned while breasted up (they looked as if they were dancing) took some beating.

Edited by Athy

We were moored opposite the Barlow for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. I did feel some sympathy though for any boat foolish enough to pass through during Chris commentary if they had their stern line looped round the tiller pin and/or fenders down. Can't remember the name of the boat but one guy took exception and fell into the trap of retaliating quite loudly for which he got a round of applause.

I think Willow performed the fastest winding of the weekend at the other end of the parade. About 2 minutes of slick ropework.

Richard

Two minutes - no wonder there was so much delay (:lol:)

About 40 seconds maximum needed for the actual turn I would say!

(OK, I do realise you mean for a full length boat!)

The video there is from the year before, and several crews expressed the view that that winding hole seemed more silted than last year - several urging us to "get over that other side, and stir it up a bit", or something similar.

David spent a while trying to sort out the long queues for that winding hole, and to regulate traffic through the pipe bridge to stop people who just wanted to pass through on "normal" boats being too delayed. I think the longest taken by some full length boats to turn at that end was over 8 minutes, but let's not say who that was!

Doesn't work when I do it that way, you put on lots of power to start the turn, I have to start in tickover and then open the throttle and close my eyes half way round, boat is 10m x 3.4 with a few dents collected when it didn't quite work.

And conversely, a 72ft narrowboat won't be easy to turn around because it's far too long for its width.

Far easier to turn a 72ft narrowboat in a 72' 6" winding hole though, than to fit a 12 foot wide wide-beam through a narrow lock.

Hence you will see umpteen full length narrow boats winding outside the "Barlow" on occasions but few wide-beams will ever get the chance, (unless a crane and a low loader is involved).

Far easier to turn a 72ft narrowboat in a 72' 6" winding hole though, than to fit a 12 foot wide wide-beam through a narrow lock.

WTF have narrow locks got to do with anything? I thought your thread was about turning?

Anyway, it's far easier to turn a 57ft widebeam in a 60ft winding hole than a 72ft narrowboat!

We could go on like that indefinitely...

Edited by blackrose

And good fun too!

Richard

So what's the technique for winding a boat in under two minutes using lines? I'm intrigued as winding under engine power always seems to take a surprisingly long time.

I'm wondering if it is only quick if a crew of about six are to hand.

:)

MtB