HS2 and Fradley Junction

bottle

Featured Posts

Do we really think that HS2 is still going to be built? Several thousand new road surfacings seems a much better way to spend this alledged few billion we happen to have lying around. At least we wouldn't have to drive like we're all on a slalom course

I think it will be built, and it be at a huge financial cost, way more than they anticipate currently. Not forgetting the blight on the country side, my arguments against hs2 are well rehearsed on here and I have no intention of going over it all again.

What I do think though is the the second phase to the North will go on the back burner (possibly for ever) due to the prohibitive costs of phase one. The Northern half of the country is not important enough in most parliamentarian eyes and besides the actual benefits to us up here are debatable in the extreme anyway.

If I am correct at least it will protect the Chesterfield canal restoration from blight along with the blight associated with running it over and along the side of the Aire & Calder at Woodlesford, that would be a very good thing indeed.

Edited by The Dog House

Good news indeed - although I don't think any of it will be built. Think on it: the Govt. needs to save umpteen billion pounds in the next few years. Cost of HS2: umpteen billion pounds. A stroke of a high-up civil servant's pen, or whatever they use these days, could save the money and save the countryside.

Do we really think that HS2 is still going to be built? Several thousand new road surfacings seems a much better way to spend this alledged few billion we happen to have lying around. At least we wouldn't have to drive like we're all on a slalom course

It was on our local news just this week that they are building a new centre in Doncaster to train the thousands of engineers needed to complete HS2. Work is due to start at the site at Lakeside, Doncaster early next year.

ditchcrawler, on 02 Oct 2014 - 1:34 PM, said:ditchcrawler, on 02 Oct 2014 - 1:34 PM, said:

Does that mean that the lock cottage at Woodend Lock wont be knocked down. The tenant moved out a month ago.

According to the wording in the CRT link in Keith's OP and the press release on HS2's web site -

http://www.hs2.org.uk/press/hs2-route-change-near-Lichfield

The route will amended in such a way as to negate the need for the two crossings, the one at Woodend and the one between Wood End and Fradley Jucntion. On the original plans it does look like it comes very close or actually over the cottage so if they have moved it away I can't see why the cottage needs to come down.

This is the route across Wood End as originally proposed.

(I don't recall that third additional spur either from the very first original plans so I have no idea what that's about or for).

WuPpjyi.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

This is, of course, good news.

However, the cynic in me sees that spin is alive and well.

CRT and the IWA say :

"The Government’s decision to move the line away from the canal is welcome news for the waterways, for visitors and for the local economy. It represents a growing recognition of the waterways’ unique environment and heritage, and the important role they play as antidotes to the stresses and pressures of modern life."

It would be nice if that were really true. I have my doubts because :

"Hyder’s report set out a feasible and preferable alternative alignment largely avoiding the canal, substantially reducing embankment heights, noise and visual intrusion, and potentially saving the project millions of pounds."

I think the saving of "millions of pounds" was by far the stronger driver for the change in the route.

(Well, I said I was cynical!)

Good news indeed - although I don't think any of it will be built. Think on it: the Govt. needs to save umpteen billion pounds in the next few years. Cost of HS2: umpteen billion pounds. A stroke of a high-up civil servant's pen, or whatever they use these days, could save the money and save the countryside.

Let's hope you are right Athy, however despite similar views the Channel Tunnel still got built.

Either way its good news for Fradley.

I think the saving of "millions of pounds" was by far the stronger driver for the change in the route.

I agree but I wouldn't be too cynical about it. In my experience that's exactly how to obtain the desired result - present an all round better solution based on an alternative route that really can't be argued against (cost being the major driver). It's fairly common practice, but just makes you wonder why the original feasibility surveys didn't identify it as an option in the first place

Edit: sp

Edited by Kendal

The railways are carrying more people than ever before. Numbers have more than double in the last 20 years and are still increasing. Both the West Coast and East Coast main lines are full, Even after reinstatement of missing four track sections on the Midland main line, this is only a stop gap, as this line will also run out of paths within 10 to 15 years. Some of you will remember the chaos of the last upgrade of the West Coast Main Line which included four tracking of the Trent Valley between Rugby and Stafford which took place between 1997 and 2005. The West Coast main line is Europe’s busiest freight and passenger railway. As other country's have found, it is far easer to build a new line. We already did have a high speed line between London and the north, yet thanks to short sightedness in the 1960's, the line was closed and ripped up. the biggest damage on the route was in Rugby where the viaduct across the valley was removed. Therefore a new line is needed to free up space for freight trains.

Edited by nbfiresprite

Ah the voice of reason!

It staggers me how selfish and myopic so many are on here in opposing HS2. Who are they to deny other people the right to travel and goods to be moved by by train? Far better than road.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 3

Ah the voice of reason!

It staggers me how selfish and myopic so many are on here in opposing HS2. Who are they to deny other people the right to travel and goods to be moved by by train? Far better than road.

MtB

Be as staggered as you like, however it's a view that many hold and not just on here. It's not about 'denying' any body the right to travel, besides many people are already denied the right to travel by rail by virtue of its prohibitive cost.

It's about being unconvinced of the business case for the thing combined with the associated blight affecting many ordinary people.

The railways are carrying more people than ever before. Numbers have more than double in the last 20 years and are still increasing. Both the West Coast and East Coast main lines are full, Even after reinstatement of missing four track sections on the Midland main line, this is only a stop gap, as this line will also run out of paths within 10 to 15 years. Some of you will remember the chaos of the last upgrade of the West Coast Main Line which included four tracking of the Trent Valley between Rugby and Stafford which took place between 1997 and 2005. The West Coast main line is Europes busiest freight and passenger railway. As other country's have found, it is far easer to build a new line. We already did have a high speed line between London and the north, yet thanks to short sightedness in the 1960's, the line was closed and ripped up. the biggest damage on the route was in Rugby where the viaduct across the valley was removed. Therefore a new line is needed to free up space for freight trains.

A bit of common sense. I wonder if the same nimbies would have opposed the canals?

Ah the voice of reason!

MtB

Wot he said!

MP.