Illegal fish stunning on CRT waters

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Agency’s local enforcement contact Paul Blake and he has confirmed that the appropriate action is to ring to 0800 807060 hotline number when the incident is in progress. To take a successful prosecution they need to catch people in the act.

At least (Unlike C&RT's numbers) this is a 24 hour number.

Incident hotline
Telephone: 0800 80 70 60
24-hour service

Call the hotline to report:

• damage or danger to the natural environment
  • pollution to water or land
  • poaching or illegal fishing
  • dead fish or fish gasping for air
  • watercourses blocked by a vehicle or fallen tree causing risk of flooding
  • flooding from main rivers or the sea
  • illegal dumping of hazardous waste or large amounts of industrial waste
  • incidents at Environment Agency-regulated waste sites
  • illegal removals from watercourses
  • unusual changes in river flow
  • collapsed or badly damaged river or canal banks

Agency’s local enforcement contact Paul Blake and he has confirmed that the appropriate action is to ring to 0800 807060 hotline number when the incident is in progress. To take a successful prosecution they need to catch people in the act.

which says to me they are going to do nothing about it unless someone reports it.

anyone in their right mind is not going to report this if they are moored in the area for fear of retribution

Numbers now in my phone I hope others are also doing the same .

what number emergency service is this in the scheme of things

Numbers now in my phone I hope others are also doing the same .

what number emergency service is this in the scheme of things

anyone in their right mind is not going to report this if they are moored in the area for fear of retribution

don't stand outside phone in hand the first that crims will know about it is when they are nabbed .Withhold your number and don't give name when reporting if worried.

which says to me they are going to do nothing about it unless someone reports it.

Take photographs?

Ooops, back to H & H. smile.png

Surely eating fish from a canal is punishment in itself? I bet they taste of Head&Shoulders from boaters' showers, and are full of poisonous heavy metals - cadmium, mercury, etc. that the industrial units pump into the canals at night (when no-one is watching).

That MP was the classic epitome of a fat cat but he was a "liberal2 in the days when they where considered the third party.

Oh why are you not still here Lord Sutch.

David Sutch saw my adult puppet show once and promptly booked us for the MRLP annual conference! We did the loony thing, accepted the booking and didn't show up.

I can't answer that Paul as I do not know your wife. One of my sisters in law, born in the UK but has lived in Longpre Les Corps Saints on the Somme for 40 plus years and she is still known in the village as "The English Women".

It is a description not I feel not a racist comment.

Some common sense at last. ;)

Calm down you lot :o

A incident on the Middlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union is currently being investigated by the EA, CRT & RSPCA, This in respect to electric stunning of fish in fair quantities by probable East Europeans, As part of the follow up from John Ellis (CRT Fisheries manager) has sent this statement and asked it be forwarded for public information so other boaters can help with this illegal situation. This incident is not a one off, there are other reports involving fish and even swans being shot for food.

"

‘The use of an unlicensed electrical device which is an offence under Section 5 of the Salmon & Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 and for which the Environment Agency are responsible for investigating and prosecuting. So following todays email I have reported the incident to the Environment Agency 24 hour incident number 0800 807060. Ref Number 1282923. I will act as the Trusts lead contact.

I have asked for one of the Agency’s enforcement team to call me personally as we need to agree tactics to attempt the catch the culprits in the act.

What this will almost certainly involve will be getting boating customers to phone the 0800807060 number whilst any incident is in progress.

In addition, the theft of CRT property i.e. the fish, is covered under the 1968 Theft Act. This is fundamentally a police matter in terms of catching the thieves, but we as owners of the fish have an interest in making sure our property is not stolen’

John Ellis CRT.

Please ring 0800 807 060 if you see anything of similar issues.

I've read through four pages of this thread, and frankly, I don't have the patience to read through the rest of it. Here's the elephant in the room: 1) Only in recent years have I witnessed the catching of fish, followed by the gutting and stowing away of the fish in a rucksack 2)Only in recent years have I begun to see the emergence of multi-lingual notices, which I believe to contain Eastern European languages, warning against the taking of fish from various waters 3) Only in recent years have I seen numerous anglers, fishing not with a rod, but with a branch of a tree with a line attached - no other gear in sight, no keep net 4) just this year, in the woods near Anderton, we saw such an angler, accompanied by a young lady and a child, and with a small fire at the ready - again, no keep net, no other gear visible 5) Only in recent years has it become well-known - as a fact, not as conjecture - that Eastern Europeans are known to fish for the pot, not for sport, so that fish, once landed, are eaten, not put back into the water.

Liberal lefties can call me a racist if they like - it won't bother me in the slightest if they do, because I know I'm not a racist by any stretch of the imagination - but it is a fact that Eastern Europeans will happily fish our waters merely to fill the pot. Neither does it bother me in the slightest if the focus of attention in the investigation of the use of electricity to stun fish is focussing on those who are most likely to be responsible - that is just good policing.

• Greenie 2

I've read through four pages of this thread, and frankly, I don't have the patience to read through the rest of it. Here's the elephant in the room: 1) Only in recent years have I witnessed the catching of fish, followed by the gutting and stowing away of the fish in a rucksack 2)Only in recent years have I begun to see the emergence of multi-lingual notices, which I believe to contain Eastern European languages, warning against the taking of fish from various waters 3) Only in recent years have I seen numerous anglers, fishing not with a rod, but with a branch of a tree with a line attached - no other gear in sight, no keep net 4) just this year, in the woods near Anderton, we saw such an angler, accompanied by a young lady and a child, and with a small fire at the ready - again, no keep net, no other gear visible 5) Only in recent years has it become well-known - as a fact, not as conjecture - that Eastern Europeans are known to fish for the pot, not for sport, so that fish, once landed, are eaten, not put back into the water.

Liberal lefties can call me a racist if they like - it won't bother me in the slightest if they do, because I know I'm not a racist by any stretch of the imagination - but it is a fact that Eastern Europeans will happily fish our waters merely to fill the pot. Neither does it bother me in the slightest if the focus of attention in the investigation of the use of electricity to stun fish is focussing on those who are most likely to be responsible - that is just good policing.

Spot on.

Well said. Exactly my feelings too, only I couldn't be bothered to type it all out on my phone because I knew I'd get shot down from the left hand side.

Steve P

When I go fishing I usually take my rucksack. I don't need a lot of kit and what I do have fits in my rucksack. I also don't take a keep net, why would I want to store a fish in a net for a few hours only to put it back? I have also been known to light a fire if I'm cold or take a BBQ if it is a sunny day and I have friends with me. Don't assume these things mean that person is fishing for food. I wouldn't eat a fish from the filthy canal if you paid me.

Swans, on the other hand look delicious.

Edited by Delta9

. Why is it that every time someone high lights a problem that has arisen since our open door policy came about

I recall, in the dim and distant past, a group of lads (probably English wink.png ) from a fishing club were caught electro-fishing the S&SYC to collect specimen fish to restock their lake.

Stealing fish is nothing new and is certainly not exclusively a foreign crime (just ask Seth Armstrong).

Liberal lefties can call me a racist if they like -

Well I take exception to being called a "liberal" since the Thatcherites hijacked the term.

Surely eating fish from a canal is punishment in itself? I bet they taste of Head&Shoulders from boaters' showers, and are full of poisonous heavy metals - cadmium, mercury, etc. that the industrial units pump into the canals at night (when no-one is watching).

Personally I use L'oreal cos I'm worth it. Oh yeah and it was on offer

- but it is a fact that Eastern Europeans will happily fish our waters merely to fill the pot.

and it is a fact that neo-Liberal righties choose to ignore the fact that the good old English poacher has been filling his pot with stolen Trout and Salmon for centuries.

Exactly, if it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck etc etc ........

Phil