Illegal fish stunning on CRT waters

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Do you actually engage your brain before you post on here?

To be fair, Martin, I think he did. To me, he used a joke to make a serious point. I guess that in the light of recent news it could be viewed as insensitive, though.

To be fair, Martin, I think he did. To me, he used a joke to make a serious point. I guess that in the light of recent news it could be viewed as insensitive, though.

Well, it's good that somebody understands basic irony, although the current news wasn't even in the forefront of my mind when I posted.

Do the Eastern Europeans eat veg with their fish? when we where moored at New Marton Locks on the Llangollen in July some Eastern Europeans came past with shovels late evening and kept looking in the hedgerows, and occasionally digging something greenish up and putting it into sacks, they wondered back much later, about 6 of them with bulging sacks with some type of broad leaved plant sticking out of the sacks, looked like they also wanted the roots? Language was deffo Eastern European.

Reports from Huntingdon/St Ives area of Cambridgeshire also suggest that EU emigrants are raping the Rive Great Ouse of certain species of fish as Kendo from NB Dogma mentions about the Thames above.

Well, it's good that somebody understands basic irony, although the current news wasn't even in the forefront of my mind when I posted.

Yes, I realise that - but with the horrifying news of Alice Gross very much to the fore at the moment, you can see why a few feathers may have been ruffled.

Do the Eastern Europeans eat veg with their fish? when we where moored at New Marton Locks on the Llangollen in July some Eastern Europeans came past with shovels late evening and kept looking in the hedgerows, and occasionally digging something greenish up and putting it into sacks, they wondered back much later, about 6 of them with bulging sacks with some type of broad leaved plant sticking out of the sacks, looked like they also wanted the roots? Language was deffo Eastern European.

Reports from Huntingdon/St Ives area of Cambridgeshire also suggest that EU emigrants are raping the Rive Great Ouse of certain species of fish as Kendo from NB Dogma mentions about the Thames above.

That's interesting. Wild horseradish perhaps? Hard to think of anything else but I yam NOT a vegetablist so wouldn't really know.

MtB

John V, on 02 Oct 2014 - 9:29 PM, said:

Wild horseradish identical to cultivated...just don't confuse the roots with aconite tubers!

Ahhh - Wolf's bane !!

I seem to remember a Murder/thriller on a ship where Horseradish had been substituted with Wolfs Bane - maybe an Agatha Christie ?

Britains Most Poisonous Plant

(from Homeopathic.org website)

The plant grows in damp and shady areas, to a height of about three or four feet. It has a spindle-shaped root that has a superficial resemblance to the root of the horseradish. The stem grows straight with glossy, dark green leaves which are deeply cleft in a palmate man­ner. The clusters of dark blue flowers with purple sepals give it some of its common names – monkshood, friar’s cap, mourning bride and auld wife’s huid. Impressive though the hood-like flowers are, there is something vaguely sinister about them, as if they mask or hood a deadly secret. That secret, quite simply, is that it is Britain’s most poisonous plant. Death hovers about it.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

well i used to be of the same mind but having chatted to several fisherfolk over the last couple of years and watched one bring in a massive ugly one i may be changing my mind on that

they recognise the fish they catch sometimes which surprised me

Not only do they recognise them, they give them names too! (The big ones only of course)

Phil