Not One for the Traditionalists

mark99

Featured Posts

Finished the boat pole. Few rolls of masking tape and 6 pots of paint. Just needs a rubdown and decent varnish once fully dry. Then add two endcaps.

Trouble is I can't be using it now in case I damage it so it's a white <fugly?> elephant. Or as I call it an apprentice piece. smile.png

The last photo is specially for my mate Mike Griffin (Leo) - who will not approve!

20140922_110755_zps9c00a67b.jpg

20140922_110529_zpsfb51be09.jpg

20140922_111119_zps7f9d4d8b.jpg

Stupendous!

The question in my mind is, what paint scheme is a traditional boat pole supposed to have? The punt poles we used in Oxford were all plain wood, plus varnish I suppose, but on narrow boats painting in multiple colours often with diamond shapes appears to be the norm, so is Mark99's impressive effort so far from traditional?

I spent this weekend on my brother's boat but we didn't use the pole at all, I'm not sure why he has one really because he seems determined to carry out every manoeuvre by other means. It's become a bit of a joke between us that with my history of punting I'm looking to find uses for it, but of course he's the skipper and his word on the subject is final. So when we came to turn in a winding hole, I got off onto the towpath and pulled the stern line, which I have to agree might be the best way.

For the benefit of northerners on here I should explain that Carshalton Beeches is Very Posh, and Mark99's garden would I imagine be pretty average for the area. My garden about five miles away in a rough area of Croydon has a garden of similar length, but narrower being on a terraced house, and altogether more scruffy looking. Stone lions would look rather out of place here, although Mark99's pair don't look too happy about the indignity of having a pole balanced on their heads.

Finished the boat pole. Few rolls of masking tape and 6 pots of paint. Just needs a rubdown and decent varnish once fully dry. Then add two endcaps.

Trouble is I can't be using it now in case I damage it so it's a white <fugly?> elephant. Or as I call it an apprentice piece. smile.png

The last photo is specially for my mate Mike Griffin (Leo) - who will not approve!

20140922_111119_zps7f9d4d8b.jpg

Mark,

Sorry, it was a long day - part of which was spent talking to a passing 'Waterway's Chaplain' -

I suddenly realised it's not a boat shaft at all but will be used at next years 'Horse of the Year' show - those leonine pillars are clever!.

Seriously - it does look good.

ATB

Mike.

You could even have a multi coloured Gardner soon - striped rocker cover, red injectors and pipes, multi coloured block, etc anything but grey.

I'd best not let Mrs. Athy see this post. It might give her ideas.

You will need to keep it in a safe now that you have added the copper end

A very long safe. Maybe your local bank has a big enough strongroom?

If you use the pole and don't wipe it dry each time, or you leave it out in the rain, how long before the ends go green like all those church rooves in eastern Europe?

A very long safe. Maybe your local bank has a big enough strongroom?

If you use the pole and don't wipe it dry each time, or you leave it out in the rain, how long before the ends go green like all those church rooves in eastern Europe?

Not with Rylards laquer on it.