Marsworth pound

bigcol

Featured Posts

Came to Marsworth a week ago, water level down, after a chat with residential moorers here, it's a common thing. Somewhere paddles been left open normally.

I rang up CRT emergency dept rang back, top man said he be on it straight away, within 4 hrs it was up.

Woke up this morning, were on the lean, waters dropped down a lot!, thinking of phoning up again, I imagine moorers here are sick of keep reporting low levels.

Should I leave it to someone else, enjoy the sun, or be a pest

A moving boat was sticking just now, but to be fair he did make it

Edited by bigcol

Which are you calling the "Marsworth pound"?

Below the main lock flight, in the pound where the Aylesbury arm joins.

Or somewhere up the flight, like the longest pound above the bottom lock?

There is certainly a problem with the short pond immediately below the top lock.

The lock one down from the top has now been made another wretched "leave empty" by CRT, but despite this the top tow-path side gate both leaks heavily at the cill, and through the paddles.

Hence the pound above quickly goes down, worsened by the fact the lock now always has to be turned by anybody descending the flight.

It must have been close off 2 foot down when we lock wheeled some friends' boat up the other day, and we had to let down nearly a foot of water from the summit pound just so they could get over the cills.

It is exactly this kind of thing that South East Waterways need to be spending money on, rather than "Visitor Mooring" projects, in my view.

Call them - if everyone leaves it to someone else........................

(plus the more calls they get, the better)

Don't hold your breath though.

We have been told that at the weekend just one set of blokes with van is trying to do water control for the whole of the GU between the Stocke Bruerne flight to the North, and "Stockers" near Ricky to the South, and can only be sorting out one place at any one time......

And if they get inundated with calls, they might think about increasing the staff levels over the weekend.

The only time I hold my breath is underwater - used to play water polo!

eta - just remembered, couple of weeks ago we came down that flight and the volunteer lockie was racing about trying to let water down as all pounds were low - apparently the C&RT regular was on holiday and nobody else available who was 'allowed' to do this!!

Edited by Mike Tee

The whole flight was really difficult last time we came down , culminating in us going aground in the middle of the long pound above the White Horse. We had to send water down for quite a while. The maintenance on this flight seems to be getting worse. Agree this is where the focus needs to be.

The Lockie on the Foxton flight yesterday ( a local boater) said they now had to leave an empty lock behind full length boats again to stop the helm getting soaked, this had stopped after the winter maintenance work. However CRT then came along and pressure washed all the weed etc off the gates so they now look nice but have started leaking again. "We did try and tell them....."

Yes, I'm not suggesting people should not phone up - I'm only trying to set expectations if they do!

You are lucky to have seen a volunteer lock keeper there, I think - quite a rarity.

Most of the volunterers we have encountered elsewhere where there have been water level problems have told us they are actually not authorised to run water down, and that needs a full time CRT employee. We have been told this at (at least) Hillmorton, Buckby and Braunston flights. To me this very much defeats their usefulness!

Most of the volunterers we have encountered elsewhere where there have been water level problems have told us they are actually not authorised to run water down, and that needs a full time CRT employee. We have been told this at (at least) Hillmorton, Buckby and Braunston flights. To me this very much defeats their usefulness!

Voly lock keepers in Stoke Bruerne run water down without CRT permanent staff being present - in fact they were obliged to do it last week when someone left a paddle up and drained a pound (and at the same time flooded the last pound before Lock 20).

Yes, I'm not suggesting people should not phone up - I'm only trying to set expectations if they do!

You are lucky to have seen a volunteer lock keeper there, I think - quite a rarity.

He was one of the skippers from the big wide trip boats based at Pitstone - very pleasant guy and knew what he was doing, and although we could cope ourselves, it was very nice to be assisted all the way down, even if it wasn't for our benefit!

Alan, I'm moored in the basin, opposite the Aylesbury arm.

A fisherman told me he reported it, Ist thing !!, and the level is coming up a bit yeh!!!!!

The CRT compound here, with new buildings being built, imagine houses?

But the boarding inside and out says british waterways

Are they having the houses built themslves or was the land sold?

Col

Voly lock keepers in Stoke Bruerne run water down without CRT permanent staff being present - in fact they were obliged to do it last week when someone left a paddle up and drained a pound (and at the same time flooded the last pound before Lock 20).

When we came down there 2 weeks ago the vol locky was helping a single hander up, we waited ages while they struggled to open the top gates. Pingu started to go to the other end because it looked as if one of the bottom paddles was slightly up and the vol got really abusive that she was implying he didn't know what he was doing, even threatening to stop us going down if she dared to touch the paddle. Ignoring him she crossed the bottom gates and put the offending paddle down, and of course they opened the top gates easily. All the way down we found every bl**dy lock against us, empty with the offside lower paddle slightly up.

And indeed I have seen some of those who volunteer at Stoke Hammond Three Locks do similar.

However, we have been told on various occasions at Hillmorton, Buckby and Braunston that they are not allowed to do it. On each such occasion somebody has needed to do it!

Alan, I'm moored in the basin, opposite the Aylesbury arm.

A fisherman told me he reported it, Ist thing !!, and the level is coming up a bit yeh!!!!!

The CRT compound here, with new buildings being built, imagine houses?

But the boarding inside and out says british waterways

Are they having the houses built themslves or was the land sold?

Col

The land was sold for housing and another maintenance wharf lost.

I think that our idea of why the volunteer loockies are there and CaRT's ideas may differ.

The land was sold for housing and another maintenance wharf lost.

I don't know the full story any more, but it is not quite as simple as BW and/or CRT sold off the land, and someone else is developing it.

The "applicants name" on the most recent planning application I recall seeing says "Canal and River Trust", so they are still actively a partner in whatever deal was struck, I believe.

They usually do these kind of things as a joint venture with a developer, don't they?

I don't know the full story any more, but it is not quite as simple as BW and/or CRT sold off the land, and someone else is developing it.

The "applicants name" on the most recent planning application I recall seeing says "Canal and River Trust", so they are still actively a partner in whatever deal was struck, I believe.

They usually do these kind of things as a joint venture with a developer, don't they?

That is true I believe it's being done as a partnership - CRT providing the land. Planning was finally granted if they incorporated the old office. Can't recall how many house 14 rings a bell. Edited by Tuscan

Does this mean I am going to have trouble tomorrow going from Pitstone to Cow Roast? Watch this space! Last time I phoned CRT to report a problem at Marsworth I was asked the post code of the lock and "where is Marsworth?" Could I tell the girl who answered my call the names of the towns it is between. I seem to recall I said "London and Milton Keynes".

The Wide beam trip boat skippers from Pitstone are always very helpful, but usually have a fairly tight schedule.

Of course it is the boats, not the skippers, who are "wide beam".

Last time I phoned CRT to report a problem at Marsworth I was asked the post code of the lock and "where is Marsworth?" Could I tell the girl who answered my call the names of the towns it is between. I seem to recall I said "London and Milton Keynes".

That sounds depressingly familiar.

Recently I reported a loose coping stone which was dangerously overhanging lock 43 on the Marsworth flight.

Half an hour later I received a puzzled call from a maintenance team who'd been sent to somewhere on the Leicester line.

Half an hour later I received another call from Milton Keynes.

"Could you tell me again which lock has the problem?"

"Lock 43 on the Marsworth flight."

"Which canal is that?"

"Southern Grand Union."

"Which town is it near?"

"Well, I suppose that would be Marsworth."

"Sorry, can't find it."

"Try Tring."

"No, still can't find it. What county is it in?"

"I'm not sure whether it's in Hertfordshire or Buckinghamshire......"

"Can I ring you back?"

At which point I lost the will to live.

Edited by koukouvagia

Recently I reported a loose coping stone which was dangerously overhanging lock 43 on the Marsworth flight.

Half an hour later I received a puzzled call from a maintenance team who'd been sent to somewhere on the Leicester line.

"Which canal is that?"

"Southern Grand Union."

"Which town is it near?"

"Sorry, can't find it."

"Try Tring."

"Can I ring you back?"

Priceless ! Though not surprising unfortunately.

"Which canal is that?"

"Southern Grand Union."

"Which town is it near?"

"Sorry, can't find it."

"Try Tring."

"Can I ring you back?"

Sorry to hear that - sounds as if you need the services of the Waterways Chaplaincy.

One passed by yesterday as i was waxing the boat and we had a chat - nice bloke - apparently suicides on the stretch of canal he covers (Lee & Stort and Lower GU) have fallen from 12 a year to 2 - Great figures if you are on a bonus!.

He gave me great advice to ensure my 'dodgy ticker' keeps beating -- lose weight.

He was a retired consultant anesthetist at Harefield Hospital.

L

Edited by LEO

Well, we didn't have trouble today going up from Pitstone to Cow Roast. But the short pounds were well down and we were stirring the mud in several places on some of the longer pounds. The bywash from the Wendover Arm to the first pound down was dry and very overgrown. We left the lock one down with a bottom paddle up as requested then met an American family on a "Black Prince" on the summit, another wasted "lock full!"