What's happened to Julynian?

George94

Featured Posts

smile.png grim isn't it! I'm going to Bristol next week, I'll see if I can try one!

do say hello, if you get here at the same time I'm here. not next weekend, parents visiting, children meeting, blah, blah. Oh the joy of family life.. (congratulations btw, hope it all works out good for you two.)

• 2 weeks later...

Well this topic has certainly changed a few times since the original post.

Julynian would appear to be alive and kicking. I came past his boat moored in the

pound below Devises top lock.

If you are missing his wit and wisdom he has turned up on the Living on a Narrowboat forum. It remains to be seen if he starts to insult members there.

Having been away myself for some time I didn't realise Julynian had left.

I reached page 6 of this thread I decided that I would respond to it quoting this post:

I'm 25 years old and this forum lately has been the closest thing to the school playground I have seen since being at school!
Having disagreed with Julynian on numerous occasions sometimes heatedly I am saddened to see that he has left the forum and believe it is a lesser place due to his absence.
This forum is successful because of its mix of people many of whom are not afraid to get stuck in to some lively, entertaining debate and I believe those folk are essential in order to keep the forum the vibrant lively place it has always been.
On the other hand there are those people whose only contribution is to make whingeing comments about how horrible the forum is and how nasty some of the members are.
If that is really all you have to say then go and say it somewhere else where you will be made welcome with lots of fluffy compliments and an iron fisted moderator.
You won't be missed here.
  • Greenie 1

Having been away myself for some time I didn't realise Julynian had left.

I reached page 6 of this thread I decided that I would respond to it quoting this post:

Having disagreed with Julynian on numerous occasions sometimes heatedly I am saddened to see that he has left the forum and believe it is a lesser place due to his absence.
This forum is successful because of its mix of people many of whom are not afraid to get stuck in to some lively, entertaining debate and I believe those folk are essential in order to keep the forum the vibrant lively place it has always been.
On the other hand there are those people whose only contribution is to make whingeing comments about how horrible the forum is and how nasty some of the members are.
If that is really all you have to say then go and say it somewhere else where you will be made welcome with lots of fluffy compliments and an iron fisted moderator.
You won't be missed here.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing about what others have to say but adults should be able to avoid being downright abusive to each other.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing about what others have to say but adults should be able to avoid being downright abusive to each other.

I'm not sure where I said that "downright abusive" is acceptable (or tolerated on this forum).

As to adults being able to avoid being "downright abusive" I think this is a very rare occurrence on this site in comparison to others and is soon dealt with by the mods.

I'm not sure where I said that "downright abusive" is acceptable (or tolerated on this forum).

As to adults being able to avoid being "downright abusive" I think this is a very rare occurrence on this site in comparison to others and is soon dealt with by the mods.

It was a comment about what I have observed rather than what you said. You may not think there are a lot of abusive comments but others do.

• Greenie 1

It was a comment about what I have observed rather than what you said. You may not think there are a lot of abusive comments but others do.

...and sometimes people's definition of an 'abusive comment' can be skewed.

Yes there is the occasional genuinely abusive comment made but honestly sometimes when you see what some people on here define as them being abused I think they must have led a very sheltered life, or perhaps haven't had a life at all.

Well this topic has certainly changed a few times since the original post.

Julynian would appear to be alive and kicking. I came past his boat moored in the

pound below Devises top lock.

If you are missing his wit and wisdom he has turned up on the Living on a Narrowboat forum. It remains to be seen if he starts to insult members there.

He hasn't got a Narrowboat, do you think they know that.

Edit

been for a look and see he has put his blog on there as well with all the photos/

Edited by ditchcrawler

...and sometimes people's definition of an 'abusive comment' can be skewed.

Yes there is the occasional genuinely abusive comment made but honestly sometimes when you see what some people on here define as them being abused I think they must have led a very sheltered life, or perhaps haven't had a life at all.

It's a matter of opinion of course, but I believe there is far too much hostility and unpleasant behaviour, which can detract from constructive discussion.

• Greenie 3

It's a matter of opinion of course, but I believe there is far too much hostility and unpleasant behaviour, which can detract from constructive discussion.

And over-zealous moderation can have an even greater negative effect.

If you like heavy handed moderation where no dissent or disagreement is allowed then you should try Just Canals as it is far more suited to those who are averse to lively, intelligent debate that, occasionally, becomes robust.

He hasn't got a Narrowboat, do you think they know that.

Edit

been for a look and see he has put his blog on there as well with all the photos/

Just in case this comment above gives the wrong idea, I will say that Julynian has been on the livingonanarrowboat forum for quite some time and so has his blog - long before the spat on here that it appears caused him to decide to leave.

And over-zealous moderation can have an even greater negative effect.

If you like heavy handed moderation where no dissent or disagreement is allowed then you should try Just Canals as it is far more suited to those who are averse to lively, intelligent debate that, occasionally, becomes robust.

I am not convinced that robust discussion is very useful because it simply shows people at their worst. For an intelligent discussion it is helpful to have some respect for other participants. Rather than having more moderation, I would prefer contributors to think about the feelings of others and not just try to score points.

• Greenie 1

I am not convinced that robust discussion is very useful because it simply shows people at their worst. For an intelligent discussion it is helpful to have some respect for other participants. Rather than having more moderation, I would prefer contributors to think about the feelings of others and not just try to score points.

Why do you think that accusing those of us who favour "robust discussion" are merely trying to score points is any less offensive than what you accuse others of?

I assure you that I embark on discussions in a discussion forum because I enjoy debating issues with people with opposing opinion and it has nothing to do with "point scoring"

I have every respect for those whose views differ from mine whilst I have no respect for those who offer no contribution other than to whine about other folks' conduct.

I would add though that, beyond obeying the forum's rules, I think little about the feelings of others other than to recommend that if they don't like what I post there is always the option of the ignore button.

Edited by carlt