Southern softies heading North - Leeds & Liverpool advice, please.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

From Wigan Flight - there is a 24 hour mooring at Top Lock

Red Rock is nice and has a 48 Hour mooring and a local shop open during day about a 10 minute walk down the hill.

From Red Rock to Pleasington - Think its not a bad area but be careful around Blackburn centre - in my opinion lots of undesirables and also from previous walks - lots of junk thrown into the canal - not sure after but hope that helps

I think the bottom of Johnson's Hillock would be more realistic than the top, unless you get that early start up Wigan and have a clear run.

It's a pleasant enough spot, even if dominated somewhat by the (tasteful) large modern hoses on the offside bank.

Tim

That's where we stopped after starting from Dover Lock that day, there is a good eaterie pub there too!

Tim

Can I just say that these have all been fantastically useful posts as I'm just about to embark on my first trip over the Leeds and Liverpool, but East -> West.

I've a 54' narrowboat and will be single handed from Leeds to Wigan. I don't mind single handing even if the locks and bridges are tough. I just get flustered if I feel I'm holding other people up.

Anyway... hopefully I'll be leaving Leeds next Monday (11th) I'm reckoning on 8 or 9 days to get to Wigan. Then I have a date with the Ribble, booked to be crossing on Sunday 24th.

NilesMI, NB Take Five

It's the swing bridges that are the killer to a single hander!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

You make it sound like Beirut on a bad day, it wasn't that bad when we last passed, though it is one of the few places we picked up a right prop full once as hire boaters.

Simply reported what I saw in response to another post. To be frank yours is only a little over the top description of the way I felt through much of the Blackburn-Burnley conurbation. The look of the people and "interesting" boats around two of the pubs mentioned here as safe moorings just added to my unease.

However it is still a canal well worth visiting, even it it does seem safer to hurry through much of the western end.

What a lot of advice - so much to take in!

We have also had a face to face session with Derek Porteous, who is moored with us here at the Dover Locks Inn, a few miles short of Wigan.

What I should say is, that despite everything we promised ourselves about this year, we are on the absolute margins of whether the trip we want to do is possible, because we are ultimately committed to being at other places much further South in significantly under 3 weeks time. So whilst I appreciate all the "linger and savour the sights", advice, for us it simply isn't possible this time - it has to be a fairly whistle-stop tour this time.

I think we have almost concluded a detailed plan isn't going to work, but do need to satisfy ourselves we can do it all.

A very rough plan might now be for our next overnight stops to be.....

Tuesday 5th - Johnson's Hillock (top possibly)

Weds 6th - Hapton

Thur 7th - Greenberfield (again, top, possibly)

Fri 8th - Skipton

Sat 9th - Saltaire

Sun 10th - Not sure - but somewhere ready to run through Leeds.

So what have we got badly wrong, please?

Many thanks to all who have given such detailed advice - the forum is just great when it works this well.

EDIT: Chalice is a 50 foot boat, so flooded endine rooms or decks should hopefully be avoidable, (unless it rains like it did when we were on the Middlewich branch!)

After Saltaire stop at Rodley, the lock keeper at Newlay will probably have locked up and disappeared!

The Rodley barge pub does good value basic food and there is also an excellent Turkish Restaurant there as well as Indian and chinese takeaways.

Rodley to Leeds is then an easy run. Be prepared for loads of horror stories from the Newlay lock keeper, it was a rare rainy day when we went through which kept the alleged hoardes of scrotes away but the area's reputation was not helped when we we then passed a towpath full of coppers at Armley where someone had been murdered on the towpath two days before!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Simply reported what I saw in response to another post.

Ditto - we saw lots of rubbish in the canal, but nobody hanging about that worried or concerned us, maybe coming from where we do the odd 'hoodie' doesn't concern us.

Ditto - we saw lots of rubbish in the canal, but nobody hanging about that worried or concerned us, maybe coming from where we do the odd 'hoodie' doesn't concern us.

Martin it is best not to counter these statements about how bad things are ooopppp North, that way we can keep the best canals nice and quite and keep these Soft Southerners where they should be down South

Coming from the north, you are probably used to strangers on the towpath talking to you, which doesn't seem to happen the further south you go in this country.rolleyes.gif

If you get the chance to stop overnight at Dowley Gap, I can recommend the Fisherman's Inn. It is right next to the canal and the real ale is as good as you will find on the L&L. Food pretty good too, especially the Sunday lunches. There are moorings right outside.

Spend a day or two in Skipton. It is a lovely little town. If you moor near the aqueduct there is a shortcut down to Morrisons but the butchers and bakers in town are excellent. Not to sure about the candle makers tho'. There is also Purl & Jane, purveyors of fine yarns.

Martin it is best not to counter these statements about how bad things are ooopppp North, that way we can keep the best canals nice and quite and keep these Soft Southerners where they should be down South

Sometimes I do think that occasionally people forget what the canals where are actually constructed for, which was of course to link the industrial and manufacturing centres of the country and allow distribution of raw materials and completed goods. By their very nature they pass through some very 'gritty' parts of the UK and the L&L is no different in that respect to just about all the other waterways on the system.

The fact that some (including the L&L) also pass through some of the most beautiful parts of the countryside in the UK is actually incidental and purely because that was felt to be the best route to take, The L&L wasn't built through the Dales to give the working boat crews something pretty to look at, it was just that was the best and most efficient to link Liverpool and Leeds, or rather it was felt to be at the time.

Of course it is true that since the decline of the industries they were built to serve some of these areas can appear a bit foreboding and oppressive, but often you will see signs of revival/restoration and if you know where to look clues as to what various sections were used for in the past (the former coal loading basins on the River Aire are an example as are the coal chutes in Castleford/Knottingley or the canal side properties in Burnley/Blackburn)) - Personally I find that as much of an attraction as travelling along some of the prettiest bits, but equally appreciate not every body might.

If you get the chance to stop overnight at Dowley Gap, I can recommend the Fisherman's Inn. It is right next to the canal and the real ale is as good as you will find on the L&L. Food pretty good too, especially the Sunday lunches. There are moorings right outside.

Agreed, spent three nights there, however if you look up through the trees you might get the impression that the place could be subject to yobbish behaviour. This is definitely not the case and its a far nicer moorings than the ones at the bottom of the Bingley 3.

That's where we stopped after starting from Dover Lock that day, there is a good eaterie pub there

Tim

The Dover Lock Inn was for sale, and not serving food when we passed in May. Hope it's going again, as it was a good stopping point.

The Dover Lock Inn was for sale, and not serving food when we passed in May. Hope it's going again, as it was a good stopping point.

They were only doing food at limited times, maybe weekend lunches, when we arrived there after a long day hoping for food in late June.

Tim

When we stopped at the Dover Lock a few weeks ago (after being told that the pub was closed) it was the owners last day there and he said that new operators would be starting the following week. They were not doing food that night so everybody who wanted it got a takeaway delivered to the pub!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

It is "under new management".

It not only has no food available, it also has no proper beer available.

Fine is you are happy with Carling or John Smiths.

I'm not, so we gave it a firm miss.

good luck Alan...

to add to some of the other posts. Diesel is available at Wheelton boat yard (johnston hillock top lock), Reedley marina on way out of Burnley (nice marina and cafe !), lower park Marina near barnoldswick (also chandlery), Pennine in Skipton, Snaygill (just after skipton) apperley bridge marina (also chandlery).

in terms of your stops Hapton is ok, nice visitor moorings but nothing there (couple of pubs and a corner shop in walking distance),

Rosegrove is ok for an overnight, but a bit 'urban' if you stop at the service block then nip out of the BW yard turn right, 200 yards up you'll find some shops and a really good traditional butchers 'berkins' - great meat and fantastic pies.

surprised no body mentioned the cross keys at east marton - super pub and food just by the double arch bridge carrying the A59. Also mooring anywhere on the marton pool between the cross keys and bank newton is just wonderful.

Saltaire can be a bit awkward for mooring as the obvious nice moorings next to the mills seem to have become no overnight mooring, although not sure how that would be enforced.

Jon

It is "under new management".

It not only has no food available, it also has no proper beer available.

Fine is you are happy with Carling or John Smiths.

I'm not, so we gave it a firm miss.

In that case Alan, as a man of good beer taste, don't miss the Narrow Boat in Victoria Street when you are in Skipton (Victoria St is opposite the road entrance to Pennine Cruisers yard). I think it should meet, or even exceed, your requirements. The guest beers (usually the really good ones) are on the four pumps nearest the door. The other four pumps are for the standard beers (OK but not super special). then there is the range of Continental beers, cask and bottled.

Roger

And just across the alley from the 'Narrow Boat' is the 'Beer Engine', Skipton's micro pub (ie no food or spirits) just good beer. Not open mon/tues though.

You're spoilt for choice as far as beer goes in Skipton as the 'Woolly Sheep', the Timothy Taylor pub, ain't bad either.

There is a micro pub in Burnley too, the 'Beer Shack'. Its on the right as you walk into town from bridge 130B. I'd planned to visit the 'Ministry of Ale' that lunchtime but they weren't open until 5pm.

'Hop', underneath the railway arches right by the moorings in Leeds is worth a visit too.

cheers.gif

Some excellent stuff in this thread, and it should be useful to others venturing on to this territory after us...... I'll read it better once we have tied up

I certainly don't wish to discourage any input from anyone, but just to be clear in our case......

1) We are on limited time availability, so, however lovely it all is, (and already it seems lovely!) we will not be able to linger long anywhere - that will need to wait for another time.

2) We are vegetarians, so no problem with recommendations for prize butchers or steakhouses, or cow pie outlets, or fish bars, as others may find them useful, but we will be giving them a miss for obvious reasons(!)

Despite enormous help from two other forum members, we found the Wigan flight slow going, and it has somewhat revised our hopes about how fast we can get through locks. Some were very slow, many paddles were out of use, and some bottom gates had gaps big enough that a small boat might have fitted through them. Compared to our usual experiences, these locks take longer! (We were also told this is the most boats they have ever seen at those locks, and they are not normally anything like as busy as today).

We are pushing on to Johnson's Hillock tonight, and will take a vote shortly on whether we think we can get up the locks, or must stay at the bottom.

The top would seem to be nicer, and have a recommended pub - the one at the bottom is a Chef and Brewer I think?

Great advice though - all much appreciated.

The pub at the top of Johnson's Hillock, The 'Top Lock', is another good 'un. Excellent beer choice and the food looked good. Can't comment on the veggie choice though, sorry.

The moorings were full when we were there back in June so we breasted up while partaking refreshment and pressed on later. Glad we did. We found a lovely mooring, all to ourselves, on the pontoon at Withnell Fold. Took a walk before we pushed off the next morning to take a look at the mill village, well worth half an hour of anyone's time.

ETA: We thought the Wigan locks were 'orrible too. I'll never complain about Hatton again laugh.png

Edited by Victor Vectis

Saltaire can be a bit awkward for mooring as the obvious nice moorings next to the mills seem to have become no overnight mooring, although not sure how that would be enforced.

Jon

I believe that this no mooring sign was put up to placate some local whinger and is not enforced. If they do complain tell them you'll move on when the cops arrive.

Bob

Some excellent stuff in this thread, and it should be useful to others venturing on to this territory after us...... I'll read it better once we have tied up

I certainly don't wish to discourage any input from anyone, but just to be clear in our case......

1) We are on limited time availability, so, however lovely it all is, (and already it seems lovely!) we will not be able to linger long anywhere - that will need to wait for another time.

2) We are vegetarians, so no problem with recommendations for prize butchers or steakhouses, or cow pie outlets, or fish bars, as others may find them useful, but we will be giving them a miss for obvious reasons(!)

Despite enormous help from two other forum members, we found the Wigan flight slow going, and it has somewhat revised our hopes about how fast we can get through locks. Some were very slow, many paddles were out of use, and some bottom gates had gaps big enough that a small boat might have fitted through them. Compared to our usual experiences, these locks take longer! (We were also told this is the most boats they have ever seen at those locks, and they are not normally anything like as busy as today).

We are pushing on to Johnson's Hillock tonight, and will take a vote shortly on whether we think we can get up the locks, or must stay at the bottom.

The top would seem to be nicer, and have a recommended pub - the one at the bottom is a Chef and Brewer I think?

Great advice though - all much appreciated.

Welcome to Wigan locks :(

I believe that this no mooring sign was put up to placate some local whinger and is not enforced. If they do complain tell them you'll move on when the cops arrive.

Bob

My understanding too.

Some twerp who bought a flat next to local canal suddenly finds boats will moor close by....shocker.

As long as you stick within the 8 to 8 rule on engine and gennie running and don't run them when not needed, or smoke his flat out with none smokeless fuel tell him where to go......politely of course.......

The pub at the top of Johnson's Hillock, The 'Top Lock', is another good 'un. Excellent beer choice and the food looked good. Can't comment on the veggie choice though, sorry.

The moorings were full when we were there back in June so we breasted up while partaking refreshment and pressed on later. Glad we did. We found a lovely mooring, all to ourselves, on the pontoon at Withnell Fold. Took a walk before we pushed off the next morning to take a look at the mill village, well worth half an hour of anyone's time.

ETA: We thought the Wigan locks were 'orrible too. I'll never complain about Hatton again laugh.png

The moorings above the top lock looked pretty full, so we are now in the pound below it.

"The Top Lock" pub looks lovely, and we would have loved to eat there, but it has absolutely nothing vegetarian on the menu. This seems to be a recurring theme, and I suspect we will be eating on board far more than we would if further South, and many of the pubs up here will continue to lose out on our custom.

The Johnson's Hillock locks were indeed a lot easier than the Wigan ones!