My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

Exciting news Marcus! You did your very best - please don't ever beat yourself up - you didn't succeed for lack of trying.

Fingers and toes crossed we'll see piccies of your boat above the water soon

Can we expect to see someone in a pin-stripe suit wielding a tarry brush in the dry dock next week doing the caulking? Yes I know it doesn't work like that but that's the image I'm getting in my mind.

As it happens the first program I wrote professionally was a summary report about boat insurance, can't remember what sort of boats, it was all a bit detached from the real world sitting in an office coding in PL/I. All about programming logic and giving the systems analyst the right totals, not soggy boats.

There used to a yard next to Nauticalia in Shepperton that was very much DIY focussed and aimed at the older boat rather than the posh newer craft. It was a few years ago, but I think this link may help

http://www.pushtheboatout.com/acatalog/Mooring_@_Shepperton_Marina.html

They have their own slipway

Edited by richardf

"hey ho and up she rises" (quote from John Holden)

She's a motor boat afaik :)

And sorry to be a damp squib but i think the professionals will break it up and put it in an open top barge for disposal.

I hope i am wrong though :unsure:

I suppose it depends on insurance value

She's a motor boat afaik :)

And sorry to be a damp squib but i think the professionals will break it up and put it in an open top barge for disposal.

I hope i am wrong though :unsure:

. Wow bit harsh

Yes sorry but I saw a similar boat on the way up the river recently being broken up by a dredger. They tried to lift it with straps but either it did not float or it broke.

I don't know a lot about this boat so it is strictly my own view (which i am allowed to have :) and as i say hope it is wrong. I passed Fairstar on Tuesday and she is well and truly down :(

If the boat can be raised and quickly towed to a yard for works ashore then maybe ok.

A lot of yarda view these boats with suspicion. You stick and old wood boat on the hard its not happy. Owner pays hardstanding fees. Meanwhile boat falls apart.

The boatyard find that the payments stop so they take possession of the boat... which is worth almost nil.. then they have to get rid of it which in some cases is a cost to the business. Most businesses operating like this will fail.

Its quite a big boat, not a dinghy.

So nobody wants to dry store old wrecks - understandable imo

She's a motor boat afaik smile.png

I hope i am wrong though unsure.png

That was my thought. Now you've said it out loud. Q is what's it worth? Won't it be an insurance write off anyway? If yes thay have absolutely nothing to gain by saving it and eveything to gain from a quick job. Sorry, hope I'm wrong, I know nothing about boats, but know something of the world.