My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

Update!

She's now coming up on Friday... We hope!

They realised that there weren't enough solid cleats to attach the air bags too... Oops.

So they are going to attach some decent cleats around the deck... And they seem pretty confident this'll do the trick...

So, Friday it is... Please uncross your fingers, legs and toes for the time being... And cross them again on Friday please!

Marcus

X

Sadly if they are going to fasten lifting bags to the upper works they are too likely to pull the boat to pieces, this boat needs strops underneath to take the lift forces.

Unfortunately I don't think in this case the insurer is going to be too bothered about the damage caused to the vessel!

Hopefully I am proved wrong.

Sadly if they are going to fasten lifting bags to the upper works they are too likely to pull the boat to pieces, this boat needs strops underneath to take the lift forces.

IMHO this is not necessarily so.....the amount of lift required to bring the boat to the surface is fairly low, once it is at the surface the weight added is dependent on the difference in height between inside and outside waterlines.

Providing this is kept very small and they depend on the pumps to refloat, rather than increasing the lift provided by external floatation bags and forcing the hull upwards, there seems no reason why the strain on the hull should be too much.

From past experience with an old timber boat about this size and age, well less than a tonne of lift should bring it up but to get the gunwales level with the surface the bags need to be lower than that so they should be joined in pairs under the hull not fastened to the deck cleats.

Still Marcus has refused my offer of divers so go your way.

Attaching air bags to cleats on the deck is not going to raise the gunwale out of the water. There must be some other step in the process. Maybe they will raise the boat enough to get straps underneath it.

The other option they may have in mind is to bring the boat to the surface and then move it in to shallow water to complete the recovery

If the bottom of the Thames is sand, mud and gravel, it would (in my opinion) be much wiser to dig 2 passages for straps underneath the keel and attach the lifting bags to these. that will be a much safer bet than fixing the bags to cleats fixed on the deck.

Whatever way it's going to be done, I wish Marcus all the luck in the world to get his boat afloat again, without too much damage.

Peter.

An easy job for a competent diver to run straps under the hull and raise the hull at whatever aspect by adjusting the bags,parachutes or whatever is used.Simple rigging between the bags so the straps,ropes don't skid out of position and a regulated air supply to avoid too violent a lift, as once she starts moving it can be very quick,that shouldn't be a problem in the depth of water she is in though.Anyway,too many cooks e.t.c. and can't be there so best of luck.