Enforcement Officer Vacancy

junior

Featured Posts

CRT are advertising a vacancy for an Enforcement Officer at Fazeley. As I am currently looking for a career change it has come on my radar. The salary is not particularly enticing but my mindset is that as long as I van afford to live, job satisfaction and doing something I enjoy has become more important. I can't think of anything better than getting paid to be out and about on the cut regularly and feeling like I'm making a difference.

So, do you think a boater could be an enforcement officer, or am I likely to get egged every time I go cruising?

If you read some of the info on the internet you will find that more than half of your time will probably be office based.

I expect enforcement in the midlands is a whole lot easier than London or the K&A and as long as you can cope with occasional unpleasantness its must be quite a tempting job.

............Dave

If you read some of the info on the internet you will find that more than half of your time will probably be office based.

I expect enforcement in the midlands is a whole lot easier than London or the K&A and as long as you can cope with occasional unpleasantness its must be quite a tempting job.

............Dave

At the moment in my current job (immigration enforcement) I get unpleasantness on a more than regular basis and it doesn't bother me one bit. Occasional unpleasantness would be a welcome relief!

I would suggest that your current career experience will have more than prepared you for the job vacancy you've mentioned!

It would be worth a conversation with CRT I think

Yes, I was thinking my first move might be an informal email to HR asking whether they would consider a boater for this position.

I've been frustrated recently to find out that 2 positions I unsuccessfully applied for were filled internally and were always going to be. The vacancy was only advertised externally as they have to apparently. Very frustrating as I dedicated at least a whole day to one of them, getting public transport to a local library to print the 12 page application form costing £5 (colour), then getting public transport back to town the next day to post it recorded delivery. I was then told by an insider that they knew who was going to get the job before they even advertised the vacancy.

So I wonder whether they have some ex-copper lined up for the job already and are just advertising it as a formality.

Yes, I was thinking my first move might be an informal email to HR asking whether they would consider a boater for this position.

I've been frustrated recently to find out that 2 positions I unsuccessfully applied for were filled internally and were always going to be. The vacancy was only advertised externally as they have to apparently. Very frustrating as I dedicated at least a whole day to one of them, getting public transport to a local library to print the 12 page application form costing £5 (colour), then getting public transport back to town the next day to post it recorded delivery. I was then told by an insider that they knew who was going to get the job before they even advertised the vacancy.

So I wonder whether they have some ex-copper lined up for the job already and are just advertising it as a formality.

Unfortunately - one never knows, but give HR a bell, explain you're keen, and you believe you're well experienced for the role - and as you are a boater, and have a real empathy for the role that CRT has to play, is there any reason why HR could suggest that you didn't complete and application?

>>Yes, I was thinking my first move might be an informal email to HR asking whether they would consider a boater for this position.<<

Your being a boater is utterly irrelevant to the job, at least as far as getting an interview is concerned. If you want the job, apply regardless. If not, don't waste your time (or anyone else's).

The first step is not to get the job -- it's to get the interview.

CRT are advertising a vacancy for an Enforcement Officer at Fazeley. As I am currently looking for a career change it has come on my radar. The salary is not particularly enticing but my mindset is that as long as I van afford to live, job satisfaction and doing something I enjoy has become more important. I can't think of anything better than getting paid to be out and about on the cut regularly and feeling like I'm making a difference.

So, do you think a boater could be an enforcement officer, or am I likely to get egged every time I go cruising?

If you have no home mooring, you won't get it. So don't get too built up in your hopes.

I notice that it's on a very short advert period; posted 15/7 closes 22/7. That would tend to encourage my cynicism/paranoia that it's an advert for form only and that they have an internal candidate lined up.

Nonetheless, go for it, what have you got to lose? It's an online app process, isn't it?

Just go for it. A career change can make a world of difference to your well being.

Regards

Fred

............Dave

I think I read that as 3 days a week in the office. But Fazeley is not a bad part of the country to be based in.

I think I read that as 3 days a week in the office. But Fazeley is not a bad part of the country to be based in.

Mmmm....

How much actual enforcement can an enforcement officer do sat in an office for three days?

Shouldn't they be out on the towpath?

Go for it! And if you can have a couple of dogs with you when you go out on patrol who can snarl and bark on demand, so much the better. That should be a good selling point. Oh and don't forget to say at interview how all CCers are scum of the earth and need to be eradicated, which will also go down well. Just don't mention your own mooring status!

No organisation is allowed to discriminate against an applicant. If the job description doesn't clearly state the applicant must be a boater or not then DO NOT TELL THEM. It will not help your application, their HR staff will be obliged to give you a standard compliance statement with regard to equal ops and encourage you to apply and if anything you've said to them is passed on to those shortlisting then it may fuel potential discriminatory assumptions about your suitability for the post. Not all employers shortlist fully blind (eg. With no info of name, age, address etc. Usually only the Equal Ops form is detached) And not all employers are able to resist making assumptions about people. Whatever they say to deny it.

They do not need to know you're a live aboard boater. They do not need to know you have no home mooring. So do not tell them. You can tell them about your experience of canals and boating people just conveniently omitting the above facts. If you get an interview still do not tell them. Once offered employment tell them anything you like.

Go for it! And if you can have a couple of dogs with you when you go out on patrol who can snarl and bark on demand, so much the better. That should be a good selling point. Oh and don't forget to say at interview how all CCers are scum of the earth and need to be eradicated, which will also go down well. Just don't mention your own mooring status!

Although probably said in jest, some of your comments are quite disgusting. People choose their alternative lifestyles to suit themselves, as you do.
  • Greenie 1