Mooring rules or just considerate mooring?

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I'd always understood that you don't moor in winding holes or right next to bridges. So I don't. It seems like I might be in the minority though? It seems pretty obvious to me that mooring in a winding hole makes it difficult or impossible for full length boats to turn and mooring next to bridges makes it awkward to wait for an oncoming boat to come through.

I'm currently moored in Gnosall on the Shroppie and the VM signs don't include the 50-60 feet either side of the bridges. I interpret this as 'don't moor here' but it seems that some see it as 'moor for 14 days' since it doesn't specify a time, or maybe they just see it as the same as the rest of the VMs?

When I was moored in Wheaton Aston, boat's were moored in the winding hole, and right up against bridges, and seemed completely unaware that this could cause a problem.

In both these cases, there have been plenty of valid VMs available.

What's the forum's view?

Boaters are people, there are considerate people and tossers. The tossers don't care about anyone else so they do what makes life easy for number one and to hell with the rest of the human race. The vast majority of boaters are just like people everywhere considerate but there will always be a percentage who are not. You don't pass winding holes, water points etc. every few minutes so when you do and someone is abusing the facility you tend to notice. These are the same people who park their cars in disabled parking bays or on the yellow lines outside schools.

They are not worth worrying about, you will not change them, they simply don't think your opinion matters.

Ken

• Greenie 4

Boaters are people, there are considerate people and tossers. The tossers don't care about anyone else so they do what makes life easy for number one and to hell with the rest of the human race. The vast majority of boaters are just like people everywhere considerate but there will always be a percentage who are not. You don't pass winding holes, water points etc. every few minutes so when you do and someone is abusing the facility you tend to notice. These are the same people who park their cars in disabled parking bays or on the yellow lines outside schools.

They are not worth worrying about, you will not change them, they simply don't think your opinion matters.

Ken

Here Here

Dave you are right but the SUC is rather unique in that the majority of Winding Holes are privately (old wharf's etc>) owned such as the one in Wheaton Aston so the boats you mention actually pay for the mooring.

oh are you coming up to Norbury my last day here but you are welcome to a cup of tea or coffee

Ken

What a philosophical (and true) comment. If only CaRT could understand this and realise that making new rules and erecting new signs will not stop the rule breaking minority.

We moored very close to a bridge hole a couple of days ago and felt really guilt about it. Half way down Lapworth flight, late and raining, and the VMs all full. We asked several boats if we could breast up and they all said no. One told us it was against the rules to breast up!

............Dave

What a philosophical (and true) comment. If only CaRT could understand this and realise that making new rules and erecting new signs will not stop the rule breaking minority.

We moored very close to a bridge hole a couple of days ago and felt really guilt about it. Half way down Lapworth flight, late and raining, and the VMs all full. We asked several boats if we could breast up and they all said no. One told us it was against the rules to breast up!

............Dave

Oh classic! frusty.gif

Dave you are right but the SUC is rather unique in that the majority of Winding Holes are privately (old wharf's etc>) owned such as the one in Wheaton Aston so the boats you mention actually pay for the mooring.

oh are you coming up to Norbury my last day here but you are welcome to a cup of tea or coffee

I'm not talking about the permanent moorings. I'm talking about visiting boats.

I was in Norbury at the weekend for a while and I'll be passing through again this afternoon / evening. I don't really like the moorings there though - no views.

Ken

I'm not sure about this. The people who I've seen seem like decent people. I'm guessing it's down to ignorance and a lack of common sense. Not necessarily deliberate. When I see this, I'm tempted to have a little word with them but then it can lead to a row and I end up feeling like an interfering busybody. So I say nothing.

My thought is that an effort needs to be made to communicate more with boaters about not mooring inconsiderately. The simplest way is to put up more signs but I don't really like seeing signs everywhere. The canal would be ruined if it ended up like picadilly circus.

I try and avoid mooring near bridges (and never moor in winding holes) but sometimes it's the only place you can get into the side - the approaches to the bridges are usually piled while the rest of it has been left to silt up. I don't think anyone really wants to tie up where they are likely to get clunked, but siometimes you have little choice.

I wanted to leave my boat for 14 days at Gnossal as it has a good bus service but the only unlimited spot was on the end of a 48hr VM just before the tunnel, otherwise it was walk for miles. I parked there for a few hours after checking that there was comfortable room to pass but moved when it became apparent that passing traffic thought that it looked as if my boat was in the way. Easily understood when I was in a slightly narrower place just in front of the wider completely empty VM.

I now always assume that people parked in awkward places have some to-them reasonable reason for being there otherwise I would get irritated and that is not what I want boating to be about.

I wanted to leave my boat for 14 days at Gnossal as it has a good bus service but the only unlimited spot was on the end of a 48hr VM just before the tunnel, otherwise it was walk for miles. I parked there for a few hours after checking that there was comfortable room to pass but moved when it became apparent that passing traffic thought that it looked as if my boat was in the way. Easily understood when I was in a slightly narrower place just in front of the wider completely empty VM.

I now always assume that people parked in awkward places have some to-them reasonable reason for being there otherwise I would get irritated and that is not what I want boating to be about.

And there's the rub I guess. If we were all allowed to use our common sense - most of us would surely say that leaving our boat on the VM for 14 days would make more sense, provided they aren't full. The problem comes in that allowing people to exercise their own judgement, gives the 'tossers' free rein to act inconsiderately.

The first time I was on a canal I was told that it was necessary to leave room for a full-length boat either side of bridges etc. I have always done this except where mooring rings are provided.

With popular VMs I make a point of moving on as soon as possible to let others have their turn.

The first time I was on a canal I was told that it was necessary to leave room for a full-length boat either side of bridges etc. I have always done this except where mooring rings are provided.

I can certainly be pulled sideways by the draw passing through a shallow bridge hole. As long as a closely moored boat doesn't start shouting the odds if I sideswipe him, I have no problem.

George ex nb Alton retired

I recently moored on the puddlebanks in Braunston for the Historic boat rally. When I arrived on the Monday I was the first there and left about 70ft after the first bridge (from Braunston Turn) then moored my boat. I left 70ft as I guessed a large amount of full length working biats would be passing through and potentially have to wait for oncoming boats.

Every single day somebody pulled into the space and moored, causing all sorts of problems for boats approaching the bridge.

On another occasion about 6 weeks ago I needed to leave the boat by Hatton Station and catch a train to London. The only place I could get near the bank was just after the bridge on the cruising club side. The bridge is on a straight and wide enough to fit 4 boats side by side under it. When I returned to the boat one of the busy bodies shouted across to me that "it is illegal to moor close to a bridge".

Edited by junior

It a bit like the road, When I started driving you didn't park on a bend, at a junction, on the brow of a hill. Today people take the view that if there is no yellow road markings its fine to park. likewise we didn't overtake approaching bends or hills, today you need a solid white like.

Times they are a changing and we are regulating out common sense, its like log tables and slid rules, not needed any more.

Surely there is still a demand for rustic wooden furniture?

And I was going to have a dig at you about paying by card but didnt. I may just go back to The Bridge Inn thread and edit it.

Note

I left the apostrophe out just for you

Edited by ditchcrawler