Helmsmans course

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

My better half wants to learn how to steer our 45' narrowboat.

I'd like to sit on the front sipping ale and wind the locks sometimes, and of course if the worst happens she needs to be able to take control.

I'm probably not the best person for the job!

We are thinking of using Wildcat Enterprises, based on the Oxford Canal (where we moor)

Let's have your views/experiences please.

Cheers Bill

Although I have many years experience of helming many types of boat unlike Delta9 I found the Inland Helmsman's Course worthwhile.

I am purposely not saying what was worthwhile as in a previous thread a long time ago, I said what I found useful and this developed into a slanging match as to the merits or not of this course. I hope this one doesn't.

If you feel you are possibly not the best person to teach your OH, in my opinion, getting a professional in, is the best route.

Edited by Ray T

When I did this course with two of my good friends, it was worth the entertainment factor! I am afraid we spent most of the day in fits of giggles but we had all been boating for a while so knew when to be serious. It was fun playing on someone else's boat and the lunch was good as well. I am told our antics are often used as an example of how not to boat!!boat.gif

Very expensive! £400+ for a couple of days. I think Cheshire Cat are about £300.

The two day course is really for someone with no prior experience. I am sure the one day course at £190 would be quite sufficient.

Still not cheap though, granted.

Ken

Very expensive! £400+ for a couple of days. I think Cheshire Cat are about £300.

still very expensive.

a couple of people I have spoken to about these courses were disappointed there were more than justr them on the boat - the learning was not individual. They also found that it was different when they went out on their own boats.

The best tuition is to get someone to take you out on your own boat to learn its quirks and foibles. And that may mean that BD3Bill stays in the pub all day while his good lady goes out and learns the boat. Win all round.

Willow Wren £370 for 2 days Hilmorton

Cheshire Cat £225 for 2 days Audlem

I had 30 years yachting experience before doing a 2 day course in 2006. Worth every penny,and I learned loads.

My better half wants to learn how to steer our 45' narrowboat.

I'd like to sit on the front sipping ale and wind the locks sometimes, and of course if the worst happens she needs to be able to take control.

I'm probably not the best person for the job!

We are thinking of using Wildcat Enterprises, based on the Oxford Canal (where we moor)

Let's have your views/experiences please.

Cheers Bill

Arrange for the course to be on your own boat - it makes the ensuing practice much more meaningful and easier to assimilate.

Also arrange for the course to be on stretches of water that are, ideally, favourite/local waterways, and relatively demanding. - We took ours on the River Trent - - and learnt a great deal - most importantly - it gave us the knowledge of how to learn when we had planned and carried out manoeuvres correctly - and that enabled us to both learn what was right, and give us confidence when our judgement and practice was correct.

Not a lot different to car driving courses. A random look from web:

1 day course 5 hours £233

2 day course 10 hours £358

3 day course 15 hours £483

From here: http://www.oneweekdriving.com/

After all a professional is being employed with all his training needed, certification, insurance etc.....

A lot depends on the person who is learning the ropes.

We didnt bother with any courses to begin with we just went out and got on with it, learning how the boat reacted to different circumstances and conditions.

All the training and courses in the world wont give you experience, you cant buy that. Sometimes the best bet is to just get out there and get on with it.

Can you not just leave the OH at the helm and let them get on with it. If you are not there to "help/interfere" then they will have to learn for themselves.

Unless you learn on your own boat you don't get the full benefit.

Having owned 2 boats and hired a number before that I have found vast differences in the handling from one boat to another.

If you take a course, try to arrange it on your own vessel.

Tooley's Boatyard in Banbury will do the training on your own boat or on their day boat, sole tuition £190 or £140 each for 2

01295 272917

edited to add 1 day course 9am - 5pm

Edited by newcruiser

Well it was the best course I had done for years, but it was in France on a very comfortable barge with a good tutor, Tam and first class food cooked by Di. We even did a bit on French wine in a local restaurant. We had a really great time and I wold love to do it all again.

We did the RYA Helmsman's Course with forum member RichardH.

Despite having been hire boating for several years, including a month long cruise from the Midlands and along the Thames and back, we still had to have this certificate before we could start conducting handovers. I have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed it and managed to learn a lot in the process, not least of which was how to reverse successfully and in a straight line, something which had previously defeated me!

The story of our day is here if anyone is interested...we had a whole load of fun!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39809&hl=helmsman

I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

If cost is an issue, why not ask if there's an experienced forum member who could help? It really isn't difficult to teach someone the basics.

Janet

I have done 2 helmsmen courses and in hindsight i think it would have been better to have been taken out on my boat.

I have since had tuition on my boat which has been useful but i still struggle turning her--lack of confidence need quiet place to repeat manoeuvre a few trillion times.

I have done 2 helmsmen courses and in hindsight i think it would have been better to have been taken out on my boat.

I have since had tuition on my boat which has been useful but i still struggle turning her--lack of confidence need quiet place to repeat manoeuvre a few trillion times.

Thats the one thing a course can never give you and there is only one way to gain that confidence and experience.

There are many people in our marina who on paper are far more qualified to do the cruising that we do, yet they find getting their boats off their moorings and out of the marina a daunting task!

A piece of paper doesnt give you the necessary skills to safely handle a boat.

Thats the one thing a course can never give you and there is only one way to gain that confidence and experience.

There are many people in our marina who on paper are far more qualified to do the cruising that we do, yet they find getting their boats off their moorings and out of the marina a daunting task!

A piece of paper doesnt give you the necessary skills to safely handle a boat.

Must disagree with that! It was the helmsman's course that gave me the confidence to do things I didn't think I could do (and always handed over to the OH). Yes, of course I've learned loads since and the course on its own won't make you an experienced boater, but it's a great start.

The right tutor is important - my personal recommendation would be Terry Robertson http://www.trboathandling.com - knowledgable, patient and encouraging. Also reasonably priced and serves a mean breakfast on the 2-day course!

• Greenie 1

Despite having been hire boating for several years, including a month long cruise from the Midlands and along the Thames and back, we still had to have this certificate before we could start conducting handovers.

Who sets this requirement? I've not heard of it before.

Must disagree with that! It was the helmsman's course that gave me the confidence to do things I didn't think I could do (and always handed over to the OH). Yes, of course I've learned loads since and the course on its own won't make you an experienced boater, but it's a great start.

The right tutor is important - my personal recommendation would be Terry Robertson http://www.trboathandling.com - knowledgable, patient and encouraging. Also reasonably priced and serves a mean breakfast on the 2-day course!

Perhaps Terry should start bottling that confidence he sells. He could make a fortune selling it to all those paper captains ;)

A lot depends on the person who is learning the ropes.

We didnt bother with any courses to begin with we just went out and got on with it, learning how the boat reacted to different circumstances and conditions.

All the training and courses in the world wont give you experience, you cant buy that. Sometimes the best bet is to just get out there and get on with it.

Can you not just leave the OH at the helm and let them get on with it. If you are not there to "help/interfere" then they will have to learn for themselves.

I tried that method with my ex (no it's not why she became my ex lol) while I went to the toilet.

We ended aground on the off side of the canal and that was on a long straight stretch

She also scared the hell out of some ducks lol