A minor holiday hiccup, local knowledge needed please!

Southern Star

Featured Posts

So, we are hiring a boat from Anderton on Saturday 2nd August, and we are going to go to Chester and return.

However, my girlfriend's daughter has just been informed today that she has to work over the weekend, and so she won't be able to join us until Monday, about late afternoon. She'll get the coach or train up.

So how far will we get from Anderton towards Chester in two days? Is there anywhere along the route which is in close proximity to a railway station or other public transport links where we could wait for her? I was thinking maybe Middlewich, the National Express coach goes there and there's a station at Winsford, does that sound logical, or are there any better suggestions?

Anderton to Middlewich is about half a day (say 4 hours); Middlewich to Barbridge Junction (ie the village of Wardle) is about 5 hours; then Barbridge to Beeston is about 4 hours. The route from here until Chester is quite rural, so no real opportunities to link up sensibly with public transport.

Personally, I'd do your own timings using canalplan, I've just used the ones we can do. If you're new to it, or if theres queues at the locks, it will take longer. And after Barbridge the locks are broad ones.

I'd just keep going and see if she can get to the nearest train station eg Chester, then a taxi to where you are.

EDIT just had a look at canalplan, as I thought, Anderton to Chester IS 2 days, well 2 1/2 and you'll get a couple of hours in the evening (so stop at eg Bramble CUttings) so she may as well get the train to Chester and then get a taxi to where you are by then.

When looking at nearest train stations, remember that in this area there are several lines which cross each other. For example we were at Northwich wanting to go to Birmingham. Northwich station involved changes at Chest and Crewe (?) yet 2 miles away Hartford station was on the Liverpool line and a direct train.

Well, given that we will have to make good speed to get to Chester for Monday afternoon, we probably will go to Ellesmere Port too, I'd like to visit the boat museum.

I'd appreciate more ideas about things to do on our holiday. Obviously I'm hoping to chat to other boaters, and maybe look around a few boats, the main purpose of the holiday is to do some research ahead of buying a boat myself. But I would appreciate advice on "must see" places along the way, including non-canal places, one of my boys is going to college in September to train in animal husbandry, so I imagine he'd enjoy Chester Zoo for example.

If anyone is in between Anderton and Ellesmere Port in the first week of August, we'd love to pull up for a chat, a beer, some advice, our boat will be called Great Blue Heron 1 and it's a 58' semi-trad.

If you are not desperate to rush, then Nantwich is a fairly easy two day cruise from Anderton, then a couple of good days to Chester.

If you can't get a suitable train to Nantwich, Crewe is only five miles away so taxi able if no other suitable link.

I think Chester is the best suggestion, I've just checked Trainline and an advance ticket is only £23.50 (from Ramsgate).

The trainline will charge you a fee in addition to the ticket price. Any of the train operating companies' own websites will sell you the same ticket without a fee.

Don't forget the long slow crawl past all the moored boats at Huxley, and other places! any sign of a ripple and you will get shouted at:-)

Let the miserable sods shout, looks like I will have some fun taking my boat through there when I get it.

Another suggestion for the OP, Liverpool is only a short train ride from Elsmere Port and Chester.

Although a day is far to short for a visit to Liverpool

RedSpottedHanky don't charge for tickets.

TheTrainLine are a rip-off!!

Interesting. I haven't heard of Red Spotted Hanky so I just checked their price for a journey I regularly do. Price is the same to the penny as train line.

What am I doing wrong?

As has been said, TheTrainLine will charge you extra handling charge for their tickets, whereas RedSpottedHanky don't, you just pay the ticket price.

Most of the times their ticket prices are the same, but I have found that RSH sometimes get offers on quicker.

I don't know anyone in the railway industry that has a good word to say about TTL!!

Interesting. I haven't heard of Red Spotted Hanky so I just checked their price for a journey I regularly do. Price is the same to the penny as train line.

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, I've booked through Red Spotted Hanky and through The Traiinline and their fares have been identical every single time, to the penny. I suspect that one is a clone of the other.

Hi there having done this trip loads while our boat was moored at Anderton....my advice would be to push on for Chester. If you get to the boat yard handy around dinnertime hopefully your boat will be ready & you'll hopefully be able to set off by 2pm. Its a nice leisurely 4hour cruise to Middlewich but I'd aim to do an extra hour & go up the locks & moor above Wardle lock on the Middlewich branch or carry on a little if you want a rural mooring. Sunday I'd aim for a nice early start with 3 hours cruise to Barbridge Junc although this can alter massively depending on if there are queues at the locks. From Barbridge junction to Beeston wharf is around 3hours again depending on Queues at the locks. But the joy of this stretch is that 2 boats can share the locks apart from beeston Iron lock.

From Beeston to Chriselton is around 2 hours cruising so I'd plan to moor around here Sunday night.

The Monday morning you just have to head down the 5 locks into Chester city centre. This should take around 2.5 hours again depending on queues. I'd moor on the visitor moorings by the lock keepers pub think its bridge123c as this is quite near to train station. Hope this helps you.

Edited by boaterdave

Nothing, I've booked through Red Spotted Hanky and through The Traiinline and their fares have been identical every single time, to the penny. I suspect that one is a clone of the other.

Having dealt with the customer services of both, I can't see that they are - RSH were a joy to deal with.. TTL were, er.. not!

Chester is a great city. Be extra careful going down the Chester flight - you gotta watch what the others behind you may be doing.

ETA - I mean the staircase 3 locks (not flight) as you exit Chester towards Ellesmere Port.

Note Red Spotted Hanky accept Tesco vouchers. Well, tesco Clubcard vouchers can be exchanged double their value for RSH vouchers. Or at least they could last tiem I wanted to book - very good value!

Can you still moor overnight at the EP museum?

Yes you can, we did in September. It costs the price of admission (which if you've got a lot of crew could mount up). Quite fun mooring among some big boats, though.