Braunston this weekend.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

+ Adrastea

A very fun, if extremely damp day, parading on Chertsey in the rain with MoominPapa and MoominMama, Adam1uk andother fellow bloggers, before drying off on Hasty and having the fun of steering it around the parade. Terrifying at times with a human linkage (tunneltug on here I think) between the engine and the controls! The control lag depending on whether the driver is having a chat, polishing the brass, or looking out of the sidehatch.

Many thanks to all those that have posted photos - please keep 'em coming.

And agree about the loud music - what's that all about? A bunch of people meet up and want to talk to each other and music is blasted at them so loud they can't hear themselves. It's ok when the weather is good and you can go outside but on rainy days you're stuffed.

It seems to happen everywhere nowadays - apparently an event isn't an event without an earblasting band or a DJ whose volume button has to cranked up so high you can hear his choice of music in the next village.

<<sorry rant over>>

Hopefully we'll make Braunston next year, other stuff going on this year so couldn't do it

Unfortunately last night the beer tent music was even louder.

Some boaters were leaving in disgust and heading instead to nearby pubs, but apparently one of them also had to be abandoned because of a music night.

We were told you could only order in the beer tent by pointing, because conversation between bar staff and customers was impossible.

We went over to see whether as bad as described, and I think they may have turned it up by that time!

Whilst I wouldn't dispute a lot of people were clearly enjoying the band, it is equally true that an event that used to attract up to 100 or so historic boats this year only has managed 60.

I'm not at all sure we will be back next year, which is a shame, as it is still just about managing to be the biggest such event.

It is really spoilt by there being nowhere you can go and chat if it is raining.

Adrastea / Adastrea / (Astrea?).......

Now I'm confused as well!

One Adrastea is surely the Malcolm Braine boat recently on the Duck that contains some of the back end of butty "Satellite". If it is here I missed it, I think.

Astrea was a butty cut up by BW at Bulls Bridge, so we can't be talking about any of that.

I think there is also a modern build boat with a similarish name, which could well be here - I don't think there is any other one containing "old" is there?

Unfortunately last night the beer tent music was even louder.

Some boaters were leaving in disgust and heading instead to nearby pubs, but apparently one of them also had to be abandoned because of a music night.

We were told you could only order in the beer tent by pointing, because conversation between bar staff and customers was impossible.

We went over to see whether as bad as described, and I think they may have turned it up by that time!

Whilst I wouldn't dispute a lot of people were clearly enjoying the band, it is equally true that an event that used to attract up to 100 or so historic boats this year only has managed 60.

I'm not at all sure we will be back next year, which is a shame, as it is still just about managing to be the biggest such event.

It is really spoilt by there being nowhere you can go and chat if it is raining.

That's one of the consistent items of feedback we have had from the Stoke Bruerne Festival of a couple of weeks ago (and that music wasn't particularly loud but loud enough to be annoying to some) and something I'll be endeavouring to have taken into account for next year's festival when we have our wash up meeting later this week. Perhaps some quiet acoustic type music would be suitable. The evenings are, in the main, for the boaters IMHO, and it seems they want to have a chat in convivial surroundings. Please shout if anyone thinks I have got this wrong.

Good morning all- Really enjoyed yesterday.

Very eventful. Arrived by car albeit aquaplane (spell check?). Nearly pooped me pants! Nipped to Daventry before entering to buy x2 girly brollies & when we parked at the Boathouse it stopped raining!

Met Starry & bored MTB about ensuring a Morco boiler does not kill us! Nice to meet you both, albeit briefly.

I agree, even at lunchtime, the music in the beer tent was a little too loud & poor old Tim & Pru went outside. However, Donna got a couple of selfies with Pru.......... I did say 'Basil' for comedic value. Pru did her best not to roll her eyes! What a lovely lady.

Watched the boats, had another beer, this time at the Boathouse & had a feed on their 2 for 1. Do they not realise we are not stupid though. Each meal is twice the cost it should be!

Met a junior school friend who I had not seen since June 1979! I recognised him & eventually he likewise. He is mates with the owner of Hasty, who was built by my mate Dave Ross (Brinklow). Small world eh.

Now, decision made. Going back today. Taking brother in law (he dont know yet). Mad as a hatter, owns 6 Triumph bikes & his mother was Samuel Barlow's younger sister. I will be warned that he cannot buy a boat! My sister will be very annoyed.

He is a lot older than me, but like an 18yr old & hope to discuss 'Barlow's with anyone interested. He can put many incorrect 'facts' right!

I am not changing my clothes so I will have the same T shirt. 'Sid James on a BMX'. Say hello if you want.

Have a great day all. I like MTB's hat & my fave boat at the moment is 'Barrow'. The 'Sid' engine is ace! Im so fickle as 'Sickle' sorry) was was previous fave boat.

We hope to get our boat back in '2 weeks'.........

The Sonic

Adrastea / Adastrea / (Astrea?).......

Now I'm confused as well!

One Adrastea is surely the Malcolm Braine boat recently on the Duck that contains some of the back end of butty "Satellite". If it is here I missed it, I think.

Astrea was a butty cut up by BW at Bulls Bridge, so we can't be talking about any of that.

I think there is also a modern build boat with a similarish name, which could well be here - I don't think there is any other one containing "old" is there?

There's an 'Adrastea' behind me at the moment by The Boathouse pub....built by D & J Narrowboats.

I sincerley hope you were not one of thepeople who probably thought I stone-walled them today!

No not at all! You were busy at the Tradline shop. Hope you had a good day.

We hope to come through Monday morning from Hilmorton direction is there enough room to pass on the main channel or is it easier to go through the Marina? Looks like you will have a drier day today which is good.

So is Owl (other) a 'historic' boat or is it just that the owner is a helper with the rally/show?

I think Ray Butlers Owl was built in the the early 70, by Ron Turner as a workboat for Jack Taylor, working on the Bridgewater Canal.

Hopefully catch up with a few of you at Braunston later.

Cheers, Brian

So is Owl (other) a 'historic' boat or is it just that the owner is a helper with the rally/show?

Built in the early 60s as a tug/small carrying boat. I'll try and find the article I have about it.

Edit-early 70s then. :)

Edited by FadeToScarlet