Advice for those that are thinking of living on a boat.

GUMPY

Featured Posts

I'm saving up now for a 57"/60" widebeam to be built, I'm not planning to live aboard as a money saving thing but because I want to be on a boat and because I can!

Is there anyone on the forum who has done this (with a widebeam) and can give a rough costing of what they spent in the first couple of years? ie before the added costs of blackening etc?

I will be a constant cruiser as luckily where I will be on the GU I can manage this and still get to work.

Aahh.

I knew it was something like that !.

Apparently the favored working environment for such people are in Bars !.

What can I get you,,Fancy a pint, or is it a bit early for you sir.

Still a bit early for me fanx.

Still struggling to assimilate the too much I consumed last night!

MtB

(Boilerspeak for 'I have a hangover' :) )

57 to 60 inches that would be a model then would it?

No! 57 to 60 inches wide. Thats to ensure there is room for fenders to be left down in narrow locks!

God I'm such a cock at times!!

As for living afloat if I'd put my money into bricks and mortar 29 years ago I'd be richer.

But I prefer living on a boat any day and long may it continue :)

"A house is just a badly designed boat which is so badly aground that nobody is going to bother trying to refloat it"

(Signature I saw on another boat forum)

20 years not 29 :lol: must be getting old

Welcome to the forum Jamie.

What type of boat and length are you looking for:- If you're looking for say a 50ft narrowboat, 20K may not put you in "better boat" regions- more like a 1990ish boat with a bit to do. 30K would get you a better spec.

Have you looked at Apollo Duck and what you can get for 20-30K-Use the search facility and enter your maximum amount. Remember if you have 30K, look at boats advertised to 35K or a bit more and haggle down. Remember other costs- survey, licence, moorings (if you don't cc).maintenance etc

We bought a smaller (37.5foot) below £20K and thought we bargained hard- but we had some pretty hefty initial costs- re-paint (it wasnt practical for us to do it ourselves) at the time and some engine work, new prop and shaft- which we had included in the overall budget, so she ended up under the total budget but only because we had factored that work in to the budget. There have been a few boats in the 20-25K region mentioned on here recently with colander and also cement bases

Remember to get a survey- especially on an older boat

Good Luck

Edited by Woodstock

I am greatly considering this.. well I was until I started reading this. maybe you should buy better boats or something.. I am looking to spend about 20k - 30k on one.

You get that this thread is an ironic response to all of the new people who join asking the same question, right? None of us are crying for a lack of a"better" boat, we're taking the piss.

You get that this thread is an ironic response to all of the new people who join asking the same question, right? None of us are crying for a lack of a"better" boat, we're taking the piss.

Boaters have a strange sense of humour. It comes from lack of sleep because of the discomfort we endure.