Advice for those that are thinking of living on a boat.

GUMPY

Featured Posts

£535 a month that's way over what I pay for the cottage including council tax.

Yes, quite possibly so,

But that's my AVERAGE TOTAL monthly expenditure including-

Ins, Food, Phone, Fuel, ware, Tare, Filters & Oils, any necessary License or Harbour Dues, An occational night in a marina/paid mooring and a Cinima, OR Pub OR Restaurant visit ect whilst Traveling.

Not saying it's cheap, for everyones lifestyle.

I AM saying it's cheaper for me to cruise,, For my lifestyle.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Got any evidence for this ludicrous claim?

MtB

Mike- I assume you are comparing 'like' for like. ie; no mortgage on the house etc, then costs can be compared?

Because from my perspective, just going through house sale (GULP) we will be minimum 50% better off with the tub compared with the hooooose.

Having said this, the beer token drawer will be opened & closed more often..........

You are ludicrous.

I'll take that as you confirming you have no evidence then.

MtB

Mike- I assume you are comparing 'like' for like. ie; no mortgage on the house etc, then costs can be compared?

Because from my perspective, just going through house sale (GULP) we will be minimum 50% better off with the tub compared with the hooooose.

Having said this, the beer token drawer will be opened & closed more often..........

I was. Like for like, I think a house costs about the same to live in as council tax roughly equates to the CRT licence, fuel for heating and cooking costs about the same, but diesel for moving around is in addition, or if not moving around, mooring charges are on top too.

Maintenance costs for a boat are quite a bit higher than a house too in my extensive experience of house maintenance.

MtB

I'll take that as you confirming you have no evidence then.

MtB

I was. Like for like, I think a house costs about the same to live in as council tax roughly equates to the CRT licence, fuel for heating and cooking costs about the same, but diesel for moving around is in addition, or if not moving around, mooring charges are on top too.

Maintenance costs for a boat are quite a bit higher than a house too in my extensive experience of house maintenance.

MtB

Renting a room in london £750 pcm +

750 x 12 = 9k

Boat maintenance, licenses, insurance blah blah blah < 9k a year

Edited by Marco_mark

Cannot make it simpler, sorry if it's still too difficult for u

You're over-simplifying it.

If you wish to compare the cost of renting a flat in London with living on a baot, then compare with the cost of renting a boat. Boats also cost about £750 a month to rent from a scumbag boat landlord.

If you wish to compare the cost of owning, then compare owning with owning, but include licence, mooring charges, maintenance etc.

But I notice from your sig you are just here to troll the board so I'm not going to engage you any further. You're not worth the effort.

MtB

You're over-simplifying it.

If you wish to compare the cost of renting a flat in London with living on a baot, then compare with the cost of renting a boat. Boats also cost about £750 a month to rent from a scumbag boat landlord.

If you wish to compare the cost of owning, then compare owning with owning, but include licence, mooring

MtB

Ok then, owning an average flat in ldn 400k+, bills, council tax, service charges etc.

Owning average boat in ldn 50-60k bills, license, insurance, maintenance etc.

Still seems cheaper to me !

Ok then, owning an average flat in ldn 400k+, bills, council tax, service charges etc.

Owning average boat in ldn 50-60k bills, license, insurance, maintenance etc.

Still seems cheaper to me !

From your post there is no way of knowing. You need to give some figures to be able to compare. Otherwise you are just asserting it is cheaper.

I find the Total Cost of Ownership per month, buying a small cheap boat on a five year loan, renting a residential mooring where I pay council tax at band A rates is *slightly* cheaper per month than renting a studio flat in the area where I live. This may change when the fixed rent period is over on the mooring, at which point I expect the mooring to start costing about 50% more than it does now, but the unknown factors include that and future rents in the area.

Known factors include the fact that after 5 years, I will own the boat, so the cost will be a couple of hundred a month less but I will need to spend about £4000 on repairs to the hull within those 5 years, over and above routine maintenance.

I could save a lot by CC'ing, but then I couldn't do the work I am trained for, so couldn't afford the boat.

(Edit to add) On my wages, i couldn't buy even a studio flat in this area, using my existing house as a deposit. The duference is too high in comparison to my income.

Edited by John Williamson 1955

And in addition, we were supposed to be debating the costs of living in a house or on a boat, not the costs of buying it.

MtB

No, the thread name is

'Advice for those that are thinking of living on a boat' so we can discuss whatever is related. So illiterate !

This is what boat folk wants u to believe but in fact is so much cheaper then living in a house !

You really should get some facts to back up your statement, the reality for me is that on balance after living aboard for 14 years is that for us living aboard is more expensive than when we had bricks and mortar. The real plus is a far better lifestyle, we could make it cheaper by CCing but as I'm fast approaching my 3 score and 10 we are happier to be marina based and just cruise through the warmer/dryer months. Oh and please explain how MtB is illiterate, I'm puzzled.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I can't see how the two are comparable. For some it is cheaper, for others it isn't.

It does work out a little cheaper for us given our personal circumstances and life choices, but as I say, the two arnt really comparable.