Engine Keys

Maffi

Featured Posts

In the eight years I have had my boat I have never removed my engine key from the ignition switch.

It is not attached to any other key. It is simply used as a switch.

A. Do you remove your key?

B. Do you hide it in the boat?

C. Do you have it on your 'main' bunch and take it with you when you leave your boat.

D. If the answer to 'C' is yes, why do you do that?

Edited by Maffi

Yes we do. I suppose because it's habit to remove ignition keys.

I have heard that it's just an old tractor key, so isn't secure, but removing it will possibly stop some mischievous kid from fiddling with engine.

BTW did you get your keys back?

Bob

Edited by lyraboat

One, indeed perhaps the only, circumstance in which a key must be removed from the ignition is when anybody has got their hand(s) down the weed hatch. The consequences of an accident are too gory to contemplate. Remove the key and put it in your pocket, so that there is absolutely no danger of anyone else firing the ignition whilst you're groping round the propeller.

What engine key? To start my engine, you put the engine "stop" control in the run position, turn the "ignition" toggle switch on, and then press the start button, or wind the handle.

I did have one of those missile-switch guards over the ignition switch, but I decided it looked naff and removed it.

MP.

Yes we do. I suppose because it's habit to remove ignition keys.

I have heard that it's just an old tractor key, so isn't secure, but removing it will possibly stop some mischievous kid from fiddling with engine.

BTW did you get your keys back?

Bob

I can understand that if your ignition is outside the cabin. Yes I did.

Answer to C is, Why not?

Why leave a " Switch " live if it can be avoided, very easily. O.K. leaving it in does not allow egress into your boat, but why invite " mischief" ?

If it is switched off it is not 'live' . Surely egress is getting out not getting in?

Always remove the key, same with my car.

I would venture it is not the same as a car. A boat key has no other use, but a car ign key does.

One, indeed perhaps the only, circumstance in which a key must be removed from the ignition is when anybody has got their hand(s) down the weed hatch. The consequences of an accident are too gory to contemplate. Remove the key and put it in your pocket, so that there is absolutely no danger of anyone else firing the ignition whilst you're groping round the propeller.

I was generalising the weed hatch situation is a different kettle of kippers.

Edited by Maffi

In the eight years I have had my boat I have never removed my engine key from the ignition switch.

C. Do you have it on your 'main' bunch and take it with you when you leave your boat.

A Yes

B No

C Yes

D Several reasons;

1) So that nobody turns the engine on when I'm not there

2) So that nobody removes the key leaving ME unable to use it.

3) So I know where it is.

Having said that, I am a complete control freak about my keys!

I remove ours if I turn off the diesel taps. This I always do if leaving the boat overnight, a consequence of hearing a dire tale about a tank emptying into a boat while it was left unattended.

Removing the key is an attempt to avoid the idiot error of starting up without reopening the taps. Don't ask who would be stupid enough to do that!

The ploy has been successful thus far!

A - yes

B - no

C - yes

D- Am I wrong in assuming that if we were away from the boat and someone snapped off the back hatch lock and the ignition key was in place they could steal the boat along with it's contents; but without the ignition key, they would have access to the contents only?

I leave mine in the ignition and keep a spare on the boat.

A - yes

B - no

C - yes

D- Am I wrong in assuming that if we were away from the boat and someone snapped off the back hatch lock and the ignition key was in place they could steal the boat along with it's contents; but without the ignition key, they would have access to the contents only?

D is why I take mine away. I have in the past had the boat broken into, but it was just where I left it when I got back!

With regard to stealing boats, I don't think that removing the key would stop a determined thief. First off, you could easily tow or bow haul a boat away from a mooring, if you had the time. Second, accessing the engine on many boats would be straightforward, enabling you to start the engine 'manually'. Last week, when I needed to turn the boat round and my husband had accidentally taken the key to work, someone kindly offered to start the engine with a spanner. I declined, but if he knows how, I think a determined boat thief could figure it out too.

I think the argument for keeping the key out of the way of mischief makers is more relevant. Our ignition key hole is outside the main (locked) cabin of the boat, so accessible to passing cheeky scamps. Best not to leave temptation in their way I reckon :)

Suppose this really depends on your boat . We have a semi trad, so along with a cruiser stern, would feel uncomfortable leaving the keys in the ignition, open to public view. With a trad stern, rear doors locked, tis but a switch. So depends really.