Boat leaning/rocking side to side

brunboat

Featured Posts

Hello,

We recently purchased a 39ft canal boat to open as a cafe. The boat rocks left and right depending what side we are standing at. This happens in particular to the docked side where there is a lot of equipment installed. We do not believe that there is sufficient weight on the boat to keep it weighed down as I think it is sitting quite high in the water.

The one problem I think we might have is that we recently laid new wooden floor and therefore cannot lay a ballast down underneath the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions for a solution to reduce the rockiness of the boat while moving around in it? Sorry for the poor terminology (first boat). Thanks!

Hello,

We recently purchased a 39ft canal boat to open as a cafe. The boat rocks left and right depending what side we are standing at. This happens in particular to the docked side where there is a lot of equipment installed. We do not believe that there is sufficient weight on the boat to keep it weighed down as I think it is sitting quite high in the water.

The one problem I think we might have is that we recently laid new wooden floor and therefore cannot lay a ballast down underneath the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions for a solution to reduce the rockiness of the boat while moving around in it? Sorry for the poor terminology (first boat). Thanks!

Not really you really need to ballast properly, even then when the boat will still rock, well every n/b I've been on has LOL, but I'm 20 stone LOL

Edited by Julynian

Hello,

We recently purchased a 39ft canal boat to open as a cafe. The boat rocks left and right depending what side we are standing at.

Are you for real?!! Sadly this is a feature of boats.

Fiddling around with ballasting may help a bit, but fundamentally it's what boats do. You're going to have to find ways to live with it.

One possible way forward is if you have a permanent mooring on a canal (not a river), you could install a stabilising bar fixing the boat to the bank perhaps...

MtB

(Edit to korrect my spellin'.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

The simple answer is that boats rock and, whilst some are more "tender" than others, you won't stop it on a 39ft narrow boat.

I have a 45ft boat that lists, (leans), to port, and which rocks left and right as we move about. Even the dog, (27kg), jumping on the bed is noticeable.

As you have identified, lowering the centre of gravity will make it less tender, (stiffer), but, as you have also identified, the best way to do this is to lay more ballast as low down as possible.

You are obviously on a learning curve, and have learned two things so far - 1) boats rock 2) shortly after you lay a wooden floor you will discover a reason to need to get under it.

Having said that, if your boat leans more one way, due to the addition of equipment, you could find somewhere above the floor to add ballast where it might be hidden. In my case, I plan to put a few paving slabs in the space below some of the kitchen cupboards on the starboard side - I need about 300-350kg to level things up, so I might need to find somewhere else aswell. I'm pretty sure the new slabs will end up below the current C of G, so will make it a bit less tender - not that this is my problem.

If I were you I would find someone who has a lot of narrowboating experience and ask them if your boat is particularly rocky. If not, you might just need to get used to it. I would definitely try to level things up by adding weight to the side opposite to the equipment added.

Good luck with your venture - where are you located?

Three points not explored yet are whether this is a new boat or used, how wide it is, and if it is a conventional steel narrowboat or some other sort of 'canal boat'.

Assuming it is a narrowboat with a flat baseplate, rocking can be accentuated by water in the bilge sloshing from side to side, following the weight of people as they move from side to side. Far more likely in the case of an old boat with a dodgy maintenance history.

If it is a fibreglass cruiser canal boat with a proper boat shaped' hull then this effect won't be happening.

MtB

rocking can be accentuated by water in the bilge sloshing from side to side, following the weight of people as they move from side to side.

You'd think, wouldn't you

Actually, our boat is noticeably more tender since I shifted a couple of inches of water out of the cabin bilge. As the bilge is full of ballast, floor bearers and stuff the water damps the movement, and is low down ballast

Richard

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

While I realise that boats rock (both before and after the purchase) I do think the lean and rocking is more significant than it should be. We have spoken to the guys who are based at the canal responsible for lifting the bridges and they agree that it is more significant than normal. The rockiness is something myself nor my partner are concerned about adjusting to but I was hoping there was a way to reduce it so it would be less noticeable for customers. I think lowering the centre of gravity would help a lot. Is this possible?

Alternatively what is the best way to level things up on the opposite side? They guys who help around the canal suggested "traffic cones" at the other side to temper it. We would preferably not want to have the weighting above the floor. There also isn't any space to store anything else above the floor on the opposite side. Is it possible to hang this on the other side of the boat on the outside?

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

While I realise that boats rock (both before and after the purchase) I do think the lean and rocking is more significant than it should be. We have spoken to the guys who are based at the canal responsible for lifting the bridges and they agree that it is more significant than normal. The rockiness is something myself nor my partner are concerned about adjusting to but I was hoping there was a way to reduce it so it would be less noticeable for customers. I think lowering the centre of gravity would help a lot. Is this possible?

Alternatively what is the best way to level things up on the opposite side? They guys who help around the canal suggested "traffic cones" at the other side to temper it. We would preferably not want to have the weighting above the floor. There also isn't any space to store anything else above the floor on the opposite side. Is it possible to hang this on the other side of the boat on the outside?

More questions....!

What sort of boat is it, exactly? "Canal boat" covers a lot of possibilities.

What canal is this that has staff to lift the bridges??!! (Ok off topic but I'm intrigued :) )

Are you sure the customers will mind? They will know it is a boat and will expect some movement.

And I don't understand how traffic cones might help....

MtB

Have you got stuff on the roof? The more weight you have high up the worse it will be.

My boat was rather twitchy - added lots of weights in the engine bay. Worked well, in that it is more stable. I quite like the movement though!

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

Sounds like you know the answer, as much low down weight as possible. If you have little or no ballast then you're going to have to remove the floor to do so, there's no real way around it.

More questions....!

What sort of boat is it, exactly? "Canal boat" covers a lot of possibilities.

What canal is this that has staff to lift the bridges??!! (Ok off topic but I'm intrigued smile.png )

Are you sure the customers will mind? They will know it is a boat and will expect some movement.

And I don't understand how traffic cones might help....

MtB

You could weld a pontoon to it,deck it over and put tables and chairs on it?

The Pontoon would steady the boat and give your diners Waterside seating.

Not too wide as you would cause an Obstruction to navigation,although if the boat s moored on the K and A you could extend out 20 or 30 feet.

icecream.gif

CT

Just a thought - have you discussed your plans with C&RT ?

Is there not some stability test/requirement needed when the public are going onto your boat ?

Is there not a test for the maximum number allowed to be on the boat at any one time ?

Have you met the requirements for waste disposal facilities and car parking ?

Have you had a 'commercial' BSS undertaken

Hve you agreed a mooring 'spot' and obtained a 'traders boat licence' ?

If you have done all of the above - well done & I hope your business is a success - back to the original question -

Whilst I realise that with a 39 foot boat you will have a very limited 'customer area' (after you have taken into account the Kitchen and toilets) If they are all seated on one-side it may make worse your 'wobble factor' when one moves.

If you do end up adding extra ballast to make the boat less 'tender' just remember to ensure that your 'orifices' (drains, exhaust etc etc) meet the minimum distances above the water line.

Hmm... 39 feet is quite small for a venture like this (IMHO)

As has been said..canal boats rock anyway...but 39 feet.....is quite short....

If you take (even) 6 foot off for the stern / engine, and 6 foot off for the bow, you are left with 27 feet, take off 6 feet for 2x toilets, 10 feet for kitchen / food prep area, and another 4 feet for fridge / freezer storage space and you are left with 7 feet x 6 feet to 'feed your customers' (table for four ?)

Having recently wound down and closed our restaurant, you need to be prepared for all the new "better food" rules and regulations, hand wash sink. (seperate to) dish-washing sink, (seperate to) food (veg) washing sink, Fridge & freezer temps to be monitored and recorded twice daily, evidence of stock rotation, all supplies and finished 'goods' to be dated, etc etc etc.

'Food' (even sandwiches and buns) is not an easy business these days

If you take (even) 6 foot off for the stern / engine, and 6 foot off for the bow, you are left with 27 feet, take off 6 feet for 2x toilets, 10 feet for kitchen / food prep area, and another 4 feet for fridge / freezer storage space and you are left with 7 feet x 6 feet to 'feed your customers' (table for four ?)

Same size as this one

Gongoozlers Rest - Built by R & D Fabrications - Length 12.06 metres ( 39 feet 7 inches ) - Beam 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.53 ( 1 feet 9 inches ). Metal hull, power of 30 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 54149 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on Wednesday 22nd May 2013.

Same size as this one

Gongoozlers Rest - Built by R & D Fabrications - Length 12.06 metres ( 39 feet 7 inches ) - Beam 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.53 ( 1 feet 9 inches ). Metal hull, power of 30 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 54149 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on Wednesday 22nd May 2013.

Is that the one at Braunston ?

Do they have people inside the boat ( I really do not know) - I have only seen 'bacon butties' being passed outside.

Is that the one at Braunston ?

Do they have people inside the boat ( I really do not know) - I have only seen 'bacon butties' being passed outside.

Yes and Yes

We went there for breakfast for the first time last month

An outrigger, stabilizer Polynesien style fixed to the bank side of the boat, a bit like a motor bike and side car, on which you can lay decking. potio fashion.

Edited by bizzard

Yes and Yes

We went there for breakfast for the first time last month

I'd be interested in the amount of space / seating in there.

As a land based restaurant (to meet Fire recommendations) we had to allow a minimum of 1 sq metre per person ie a table of 4 is 2mt x 2mt floor space but we found that didnt actually give enough room to pull the chair out from under the table and be able to sit on it to eat.

I'd be interested in the amount of space / seating in there.

As a land based restaurant (to meet Fire recommendations) we had to allow a minimum of 1 sq metre per person ie a table of 4 is 2mt x 2mt floor space but we found that didnt actually give enough room to pull the chair out from under the table and be able to sit on it to eat.

Only two people to a table, central walk way, table and seats on raised plinth. I can't remember how many tables, probably 5 or 6

Same size as this one

Interesting. I'd always thought the Gongoozlers Rest was a Springer.

Are we sure that it isn't the actual Gongoozlers that the OP has bought? As Avril has been trying to sell it for some time,and of course there is the fact that it is a cafe. However I think it unlikely that Avril's was in need of new flooring, based on last time I saw it.

And yes indeed the Gongoozlers cafe-boat is a Springer, of that I am certain.

There may of course be other boats by the same name.

Are we sure that it isn't the actual Gongoozlers that the OP has bought? As Avril has been trying to sell it for some time,and of course there is the fact that it is a cafe. However I think it unlikely that Avril's was in need of new flooring, based on last time I saw it.

And yes indeed the Gongoozlers cafe-boat is a Springer, of that I am certain.

There may of course be other boats by the same name.

I was just pointing out there are other floating cafe the same size as the OPs when someone suggested it was too small, not that they had bought GR