Refuse storage on boats

Neil2

Featured Posts

Well folks it looks as though we are all going to have to store more of our household waste on board in future, so I'm interested in what ingenious ways boaters have resolved the issue.

Seriously, this is something that has haunted us since we got our first boat. It starts off with a tesco bag under the sink and graduates to a big black bin liner that usually gets fallen over/kicked around /sworn at, in the front well until we fetch up at an ironically named sanitary station.

I don't think I've ever been on a narrowboat where a great deal of thought has been given to bulk refuse storage, and I admit I haven't given it much thought either, but I have total faith that the forum membership will come up with suggestions, maybe even constructive ones..

A Car roof box could be used for this maybe ?

I've got one for putting random stuff like mooring pins ropes other accumulated 'useful things' etc

And noticed that Paul's nulife.4-2 has three of them !

They are sealed and lockable to keep birds and foxes out :)

Start putting more thought into how much unecessary packaging you bring onto your boat to start with, Cans can be crushed as can plastic bottles.

Although I don't live on board when we are out for a holiday I keep my eye open for recycling bins along the route. A lot of councils will have small litter bins that you can recycle cans and paper in and I make use of them, It can make a big difference to how much rubbish ends up on board

• Greenie 2

As has been said..burn paper/card in stove...

Crush cans or hammer them flat...

Cut plastic bottle/ trays into strips then they take up hardly any space.....keep some trays as handy oil catchers..( Blue Peter.."today we are going to make a handy spills holder from a cocoa tin and old wallpaper"..rolleyes.gif )

Don't buy glass 'things'..bottles...jars..etc

Edited by Bobbybass

Remove surplus packaging and leave it in supermarket trolley before leaving premises wink.png

Remove surplus packaging and leave it in supermarket trolley before leaving premises wink.png

remove surplus packaging and leave it at McDonalds before leaving premisesninja.gif

Remove surplus packaging and leave it in supermarket trolley before leaving premises ;)Remove surplus packaging and leave it in supermarket trolley before leaving premises ;)

Do it twice to make sure you get everything.

Martyn

Always carry a small bag to dispose of ..when passing bus stop litter bins...or pubs...or when walking into a town/village..

A bit difficult with beer bottles -- but perhaps they aren't "surplus"?

Tins...tins..tins...

If you must use bottles..save them...and get your own brew going ...

A Car roof box could be used for this maybe ?

I've got one for putting random stuff like mooring pins ropes other accumulated 'useful things' etc

And noticed that Paul's nulife.4-2 has three of them !

They are sealed and lockable to keep birds and foxes out smile.png

Yep, got 3 of them as you say, The two on the Wheel House roof have got the extra bits we hardly ever or just occasionally use in them, Infills, Bedding, Pillows, ect for the Occasional Double Berth in the Saloon, Big Winter Coats all in Vacuum Sealed Bags, Wellies, Shoes, Chairs, ect ect.

Then the one on Cabin Roof has got, Fenders, Warps, Snubbers, And Yep, Rubbish Bags while cruising at sea, or in the Estuaries for a few days, we can then dump them when convenient, without having to trip over the dam things.We have always done this, so it's Habit really.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Always carry a small bag to dispose of ..when passing bus stop litter bins...or pubs...or when walking into a town/village..

Tins...tins..tins...

If you must use bottles..save them...and get your own brew going ...

I've a cellar full of beer bottles, many of them full of home brew.

I try not to buy canned beer as it tastes of can, not beer.

Wicker basket with lid, lined with a refuse sack. When full or nearly full and near disposal point said sack is removed and deposited.

In the unlikely event sack is full and no disposal point available, it is placed in the cratch until one is available.

Edit: It is kept under the sink.

Edited by bottle

We try and minimise waste packaging coming on board in the first place, as much as possible.

In addition to an under sink waste bin in the galley, we have a couple of square plastic 60 litre 'flip top lid' bins (minus the 'flip top lids'), which fit perfectly side by side under the Stbd bench seat in the semi-trad cockpit. Although used for bagged rubbish, they are initially used for storing bulky items like loo rolls, beer cans, coke bottles, kitchen rolls etc, and as they are used up the bins are then used for bagged, compacted rubbish storage until we find a suitable disposal point. That set-up lasts for at least a weeks worth of rubbish.

We do try being 'green' as regards waste recycling goes, but there are precious few places on the cut which cater for separate waste disposal.

Ken

We have a trash compactor on our barge, a 12" wide under-worktop unit that compacts everything using an electrically operated ram. Absolutely excellent! It reduces well over a week's rubbish to a cube about 20" x 10" x 18" They are an American thing, about 700 dollars there. Not sure if they can be bought in England. We have one in the house as well!

They are actually very basic engineering and could easily be home built, perhaps built into a well deck locker. Basically a rectangular compartment that holds the rubbish, which is compressed by a steel plate on a scissor jack, chain driven by an electric motor. Could also be done hydraulically

I try not to buy canned beer as it tastes of can, not beer.

Agree

I have a carrier bag hug over the fire extinguisher. I normally just fill it every 2 days and when it's full I chuck it in the nearest bin.

Lots of people seem to chuck em by bridgeholes

I agree with Bobbybass and Magnetman. When walking or cycling to the local shops use the roadside bins. If your really cheeky, use the correct colour wheelie bin that might be near the pavement if nobodies watching.....