To Many Fenders

Dalesman

Featured Posts

Just in case no one has sussed it, these fenders are the sort that cruise ships moor up to, I have seen them of the same shape and size but very cleverly made from all tyres chained together.

Phil

Also used for Ship To Ship (STS) Cargo operations where a smaller ship comes alongside a larger ship to take off some of the cargo. Often used where a Deepsea ship brings a lot of cargo into a coastal state and smaller ships take the cargo off to discharge inshore and also to 'lighter' the deepsea ship so it can get into ports with shallower water.

The Type shown is a Yokohama Floating fender which works in the same principle as standard inflated fenders you see on the River Cruises and yachts. The Tyres protect the fender itself rather than act as the fender!

You can also see the Cargo hose lying down on the port side of the vessel so is on the way to or the way from an STS operation.

Edited by Dharl

Just in case no one has sussed it, these fenders are the sort that cruise ships moor up to, I have seen them of the same shape and size but very cleverly made from all tyres chained together.

Phil

Smallest cruise ship I've seen...

I think that boat was taking the to that sunken cruise ship when they re floated it.

I could be wrong.

poss, but if defiantly has an oil cargo hose on the deck as well. But they did have to pump out the fuel oil from the Costa C before refloating her. To my eye it looks like some of the STS Support craft that you get in West Africa. Most of the similar craft operating in European Waters are a bit more "robust" looking.