Hydraulic cratch board, Good idea or wasting our time?

Kinver Canopies

Featured Posts

Hi all.

I'm not trying to advertise but want to gauge opinion good or bad. Would we be wasting our time designing and producing these.

http://www.kinvercanopies.co.uk/Hydraulic_Cratch_board.html

We haven't had one made yet but have been told it is possible by our joiner if we can source the right rams.

No idea on a cost as yet... but to be really honest I can't imagine it would be cheap.

I leave the floor open to comments and promise I wont bite whatever you say.

Kind Regards

Ian

Hi all.

I'm not trying to advertise but want to gauge opinion good or bad. Would we be wasting our time designing and producing these.

http://www.kinvercanopies.co.uk/Hydraulic_Cratch_board.html

We haven't had one made yet but have been told it is possible by our joiner if we can source the right rams.

No idea on a cost as yet... but to be really honest I can't imagine it would be cheap.

I leave the floor open to comments and promise I wont bite whatever you say.

Kind Regards

Ian

Oh no doubt there will be some boater somewhere who will think that is a great idea....

Why?

To allow access to the gas locker but still have a solid wooden board to give the authentic look.

The image gives the impression that the raised cratch board might be the first point of contact in a misjudged entry into an empty lock or a bridge 'ole...

Sorry should of posted this link also so you can see it in cruising mode.

http://www.kinvercanopies.co.uk/Closed_cratch_board.html

It might give access to the gas locker for the purpose of getting your fresh water hose, or whatever else might be stored in there, but when it came to changing gas bottles I believe such a contraption would be a positive hindrance.

Have to disagree - i think its a fab idea and definitely something i would consider (no cratch here yet but want one and was thinking something with a removable or "moveable" panel like this).

The problem is so many people in the boating world dont want to see things change or embrace new ideas - you see it from a lot of boat builders even, who do things "a certain way" and "thats just the way we do it"

Time to embrace change!

Definitely something i would book for! Well done Kinver, will bear you in mind and hopefully you'll pull the design off

Edited by lewisericeric

Putting the aesthetics to one side, the main advantage for me would be being able to reach the gas bottles without having to precariously balance on the bow. Currently even just to turn the switch over is hazardous let alone actually changing a bottle. Also if the weather is bad you could do it without having to go outside..

I also think having the large window gives anybody sitting in the cratch area a better view out than those which have the wooden upright in the middle. Unless I was financially flush I don't think I'd pay to have mine changed, but if I was having a boat built then I would certainly consider it.

It would certainly allow air to filter thought into the cabin. As far as looks are concerned, it's ugly.

How about a bi-fold fixing?

Martyn

Not sure why its seen as "ugly"???? Its in an open position like that on the hydraulics??? Not as ugly as some of those who have the fold up tables with all the horrendous roses and castles on showing through the glass screen, surely?

Looks smart, modern and clean to me

Edited by lewisericeric

Yeah just use gas struts, plenty available for cars, just a case of some simple geometry to work out their position. Make sure the mount is good (possibly a metal insert into the wood?) Or combine a gas strut with a friction arm like you might find in a house window, so it can be locked in any position etc.

To allow access to the gas locker but still have a solid wooden board to give the authentic look.

Sorry should of posted this link also so you can see it in cruising mode.

http://www.kinvercanopies.co.uk/Closed_cratch_board.html

Actually yes gas locker access can be an issue and that would help with that so yes it would work well for some people I reckon....

I like the idea of this. I dont see why it has to be hydraulic tho, like others have said, gas ones, cheaper, as long as they do the job.
However I already have 1 of these deck boards(?) that doesnt open, so I wont be buying 1 any time soon. Plus I'd have to move my arial.

On balance not a goer IMO. If you use gas struts then, from experience, they are very tough on the mounting fixings at either end (and also you hinge fixing screws) and the screws used here have to be quite beefy to withstand the pressures as you open and close. The repeated movement and loading can tend to loosen screws until they tear out of the wood unless carefully and correctly sized in the first place.

Roger

On balance not a goer IMO. If you use gas struts then, from experience, they are very tough on the mounting fixings at either end (and also you hinge fixing screws) and the screws used here have to be quite beefy to withstand the pressures as you open and close. The repeated movement and loading can tend to loosen screws until they tear out of the wood unless carefully and correctly sized in the first place.

Roger

Well if their covers are anything to go by, I'm sure these people will make it work properly & solve the problems you have pointed out, even if it ends up expensive (like their covers!)

Would it not just be simpler to have the glass removable. Rebate the frame and sit the glass in a smaller frame in it and hold with some catches, then remove it completely when you want to get to the gas bottles. Does it really need to be hinged up like that, which does look very prone to damage and will put a lot of stress on the struts and hinge fixings.