Another begging email from CaRT

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I presume you mean the licence. Surely that is what it says on the tin? A licence to use the waterways and from memory (cant be bothered to check the figures) that raises less than £25 million against a budget of about £75 million for maintenance.

I do mean the licence and also my 9% from mooring in a marina (my choice I know) - I did think that was my contribution, as set by CRT, towards the waterways and that it should also cover most contingencies.

There is no doubt that the current situation is exceptional and I will do what I reasonably in addition can but having fairly recently paid out some fairly large sums for licences and mooring I can only do what I can. I think my main concern is the fragmented approach to asking for cash (is that the only help they want - I doubt it) - things that come to mind are paying next year's licence in advance (and there are issues with that I know) but it will give CRT the cash flow they seem to crave at the moment but that would have to be accounted for very carefully. BW were able to ask the government for assistance, I don't see why CRT cannot investigate that (Cameron's pockets seem to be very deep at the moment) but we are on new ground with CRT's ability to ask for funding help from the public. I probably give CRT about 30 hours a week - that's not cash but I think I am doing work that saves them cash overall and that must be a benefit to them otherwise they probably wouldn't ask me to help.

I do not have the cash to donate. But I give my time as a volunteer. Apparently, over the last 18 months or so, my time has been worth over £1600 ti CRT. SWMBO does the same so I do not feel the need to give cash.

Fair play to you.

One of things that frustrates me a little is the distance I live from the waterways meaning for me to volunteer regularly for stuff would not only cost me time (which is fair enough that is why you do it) but also a fair bit in travel costs.

To be honest John I haven't really thought it through, perhaps nothing more than changing the name from friend to member,

I realise the next point is a bit daft to those who don't live in the Lake District, but for years we have had friends of the Lake District. This has put me totally off the concept of friends. They seem to want to have a say far greater than their importance and totally ignore the views/ knowledge of the residents. To try to illustrate what I fear for the canals with "friends" lots of people who have never been on a boat in their life wanting to tell CRT how to run the system.

For me with membership the organisation exists (like the NT) and you join a known set of aims and objectives. I personally am not of the opinion that there have to be benefits from being a member other than the pleasure of helping a cause you support. I am a member of the RSPB and yes I know there are some benefits such as free access to reserves, however the majority of members get no benefit other than feeling they are contributing to a cause.

I would happily be a member of CRT but will never be a friend.

One of the benefits of being an NT member is having a say in running the organisation through elections and the AGM.

CRT did not want the membership model, I believe it was something they would not be happy with, the idea of members actually having a say in who are directors chief execs etc. you never know, some of the people might actually not be elected to their sinecure!

Edited by jelunga
  • Greenie 1

Fair play to you.

One of things that frustrates me a little is the distance I live from the waterways meaning for me to volunteer regularly for stuff would not only cost me time (which is fair enough that is why you do it) but also a fair bit in travel costs.

CRT will pay travel expenses for you to get to your volunteering location. Either fares, £0.45/mile for car or a few oence for bicycle.

Up to a 50 mile round trip is ok, but more than that they will need to assess.

If you want more details just give me a pm and I can put you in touch with the right contact for where you live.

I do not get any emails or phone calls from C&RT. Presumably those that do have done something proactive like registering on their website? In which case if you don't want them, the remedy would seem to be to either remove yourself or adjust the account settings.

CRT will pay travel expenses for you to get to your volunteering location. Either fares, £0.45/mile for car or a few oence for bicycle.

Up to a 50 mile round trip is ok, but more than that they will need to assess.

If you want more details just give me a pm and I can put you in touch with the right contact for where you live.

Ah now that is interesting.

I worry that the the silent majority of boaters i.e.those that dont boat very much and have their boats tied up in a marina for most of the year,will find that keeping a boat is just to expensive .By constantly harping on about money,by increasing the cost of licencing and moorings the number of licenced boats is dropping. As boaters contribute a major sum towards maintenance,this is I suspect,likely to be an increasing problem No doubt the committed hard core of enthusiasts will continue to stump up. As the cost of raising charitable donations to CaRT exeeds the funds raised.no amount of chuggers or emails are the answer..Sadly,I suspect that the ultimate fate of our canal system is oblivion,as it seems very low on the governments list of priorities,them being the major source of funding.

• Greenie 1

Well I'm registered with C&RT for stoppages, and I receive Boaters' Update, but I haven't had one of these begging emails. Perhaps Mr Moran knows what I might say about his salary and bonuses, not to mention the waste of millions he was party to whilst with BW.

Err I don't think so. CRT responded to a number of people who wanted to know how they could donate towards the cost of repairing the T&M. CRT then set up a number of methods so people could donate

Well I would describe this...

The T&M appeal was billed as an 'emergency appeal' and was promoted nationally.

...as a "National Appeal" as it appeared in the national media, apparently appealing to the whole nation.

As Vince Moran wrote (on a website available to the whole Nation)...

Thank you to all those who have responded to the Trent & Mersey emergency breach appeal - your financial and moral support is much appreciated. The idea of having a public appeal came from a member of one of our Waterway Partnerships in this area

Edited by carlt

I must say a can't understand some of the carping going on about CaRT asking for donations.

Yes I think most of us feel that it could be (much) better run, but this is a much underfunded body, on who we rely to keep our loved canals in working order.

I'm in no physical state to labour for them, so I am a "friend", and I donated to the breach fund. I will also give to this present trouble.

It's our playground folks, let's at least try to keep it going.

BTW I do agree about the friends scheme being less than ideal, but a NT style member ship couldn't work. They control access to their lands, CaRT cannot, except, of course to we boaters.

Bob

• Greenie 1

Well I would describe this...

...as a "National Appeal" as it appeared in the national media, apparently appealing to the whole nation.

As Vince Moran wrote (on a website available to the whole Nation)...

It was not set up as a National Appeal it was done in response to people wishing to donate the fact that it was picked up by many people shows how much people cared but as I said it was driven initially by people wishing to donate

The appeal being discussed now is the first that has been set up and organised by CRT on a National basis specificly to help fund the extra work that will be required following the recent weather

I've finally been hit, though not by any of Daniel Charles, Damian Kemp or even Vince Moran.

Maybe the name has come up already, but mine is from Justine Lee, Corporate Relationships Manager.

I can see why an Individual Giving Manager might be targeting an individual, (which I am), but I can't see what "Corporate relationships" has to do with targeting individuals - might have expected Justine to be targeting, errm, corporate organisations, possibly?.

(EDIT: Are they really sat there mailing this stuff out at 20:15 on a Saturday evening?).

Edited by alan_fincher

(EDIT: Are they really sat there mailing this stuff out at 20:15 on a Saturday evening?).

They will have been set up to be sent out automatically at a set time. I frequently get emails from one organisation at 3:00am as that is when their system is quiet and set to send out bulk emails.

It was not set up as a National Appeal it was done in response to people wishing to donate the fact that it was picked up by many people shows how much people cared but as I said it was driven initially by people wishing to donate

The appeal being discussed now is the first that has been set up and organised by CRT on a National basis specificly to help fund the extra work that will be required following the recent weather

Nit-picking.

It was described by Vince Moran as an "emergency appeal" and was publicised nationally which to me made it a "National emergency appeal".

If it walks like a duck...

I

Nit-picking.

It was described by Vince Moran as an "emergency appeal" and was publicised nationally which to me made it a "National emergency appeal".

If it walks like a duck...

I

Goes to show that even you can be wrong call it nit picking if you wish

Edited by cotswoldsman

I've finally been hit, though not by any of Daniel Charles, Damian Kemp or even Vince Moran.

Maybe the name has come up already, but mine is from Justine Lee, Corporate Relationships Manager.

I can see why an Individual Giving Manager might be targeting an individual, (which I am), but I can't see what "Corporate relationships" has to do with targeting individuals - might have expected Justine to be targeting, errm, corporate organisations, possibly?.

If they use Microsoft Outlook ISTR an email can be composed whenever the author likes but scheduled to be actually sent at a different time.

With so many CaRT Managers sending out so many emails appealing for money, there is either a conspiracy of saturation cover (excuse the pun) or they are all acting individually without any consultation between themselves. Either way they need to get their act together, before they start allienating even their loyal supporters.

P.S. I have received communications recently from three of the four people mentioned in Alan's post.

Edited by David Schweizer

Whilst I support the idea of supporting the charity, I find it a little weak that the trust can recognise when weather has damaged the system and yet refuse to specify the times when they will not issue tickets to those that stay longer in one place due to the severe weather conditions.

I think they would garner more support from boaters if there was some give as well as take.

I do mean the licence and also my 9% from mooring in a marina (my choice I know) - I did think that was my contribution, as set by CRT, towards the waterways and that it should also cover most contingencies.

There is no doubt that the current situation is exceptional and I will do what I reasonably in addition can but having fairly recently paid out some fairly large sums for licences and mooring I can only do what I can. I think my main concern is the fragmented approach to asking for cash (is that the only help they want - I doubt it) - things that come to mind are paying next year's licence in advance (and there are issues with that I know) but it will give CRT the cash flow they seem to crave at the moment but that would have to be accounted for very carefully. BW were able to ask the government for assistance, I don't see why CRT cannot investigate that (Cameron's pockets seem to be very deep at the moment) but we are on new ground with CRT's ability to ask for funding help from the public. I probably give CRT about 30 hours a week - that's not cash but I think I am doing work that saves them cash overall and that must be a benefit to them otherwise they probably wouldn't ask me to help.

Like people who go into pubs advertising food as part of the service should not be reproached for expecting something edible to be served to them, people paying a boat licence should have some reasonable expectations to a canal they can use.

CRT are going to struggle to meet the future goals of maintaining a canal system that has a need of donations to survive, and from people who are for the most part apathetic. Donations and voluteering from people who are already well aware of the system's state will not match the needs into the future, those outside won't meet the shortfall. IMHO.

CRT should do what the EA do and recieve a flood defence "Grant in Aid". That's not the EA's total monies. It's an amount the government gives, over and above their working budget received through DEFRA. The "Grant in Aid" is just to maintain what they currently have in order to save from the concequences of flood defences failing.

If the canals are needed as part of a flood defence system, it would be asking too much to expect that to be the sole responsibility of its patrons, volunteers and donators.

Just an opinion, you understand.

Edited by Higgs

I am familiar with what it is referred to.

If it bothers you that much just send it to your junk/spam folder, that will sort it.

Indeed report as spam and send it to junk mail.

I honestly don't see how this charity will survive for long without appealing for donations though. If our society wishes to retain canals for recreational purposes, then we will have to donate one way or another.